Tyres & Wheels 4th Generation 19 inch wheels

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by crv2014ex, Wednesday 16th Dec, 2015.

1. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Has anybody bought Or upgraded from standard to optional 19" wheels. If so what is the ride and handling like. I've heard 3rd Generation on 19" wheels are a bitch to handle and noisy.
    Have the opportunity to buy new 19" orions with Yokohama tyres.

2. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Mine came with 19" Orions fitted with 45 profile Yokohamas. I was decidedly unsure about the quality of the ride with this combination but I have to say it wasn't as bad as I expected. They do seem somewhat more noisy than the winter (17 deg. C here today) set up I have on now and the ride on the 17" rims with 60 profile Nokians is a bit less harsh.

However, the original set up is more than acceptable ride wise and I wouldn't worry unduly about it.

Mind you the flashy look of the Orions is a whole different story IMO.

Keith

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm test driving a 2015 ex CR-V with 19" wheels Saturday so I'll let you know what it's like.

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Racy Jace - a potential convert to the CR-V?

:excited:

Do it!

Racy Jace likes this.
  5. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Cheers much appreciated

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well as I need a bigger boot I thought try the CR-V.

This had 19" wheels and was actually still a decent comfy ride. It did have a bit of road noise but overall it I was a good car and I'd be happy with it but not at 33k! If I did get one though I'd personally go with the smaller wheels for improved MPG and especially if the tyres are cheaper but that's just me. I had the car for a couple of hours and drove on some rough roads and over some speed humps and it glided over them so I personally think you'll be pleased with the ride on 19" wheels.

Attached Files:

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can people with 2012-2014 CR-V try a little test for me.

Try having your diving seat as low as possible and as high as possible and drive over rough uneven surfaces and compare comfort levels.

8. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I can only drive with the seat as low as possible due to my long back and short legs. Seems comfy so far compared to the FR-V as it has more supple suspension, but then again my SE has the standard fat 17" tyres.
    The fronts are Chinese Pace Azura dated 0115, so fitted by the PO when the car was just over 2 years old and probably worth almost £20k.
    £45 tyres on a 20 grand car - you go figure! :bigeyed:

Pete C. :wheelchair:

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Racy Jace

I did my normal 100 mile commute on Sunday with the seat set low (I usually have it pretty high), then raised it back to my normal (high) position before returning this afternoon.

No difference as far as I could tell - and some of the roads are pretty rough.

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fair enough. For some reason the bumps felt less sharp up my arse when it was low down. Ill try it again this week.

The 2015 face lift with 19" wheels was so much smoother but that's got different suspension on it. From the reviews I found of the Goodyear eff grip tyres they all said how much smother and quieter the ride is. If that's true, having a soft comfy tyre on a larger rim should keep the comfort the same.

Also I think the extra weight of a diesel might give you better comfort over the petrol but until I've drivin one I can't be sure.

11. musicman580 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ian Perth
    Have a Black Edition which came with 19" wheels, though they look terrific and are great on "smooth roads" (where might they be) they are somewhat fidgety on normal roads!
    Then of course there is the cost of the tyres as well ! However I reckon I will be looking to change to 18" at some point !!
    Ian

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My CR-V came with the exact same wheels as yours. While they look great, the wear/tear and cost of their upkeep would have been too high for me to absorb.

So I had the standard 18s put back on and got a better price on the car for not having the more expensive 19s on. Win-Win as far as I was concerned!

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The optional 18" 'Lyra' alloys that I have are going on to my CR-V on Friday at the first service, along with the colour coded 'sports' grille.

I'll post some pictures when it's done...:Smile:

14. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Looking forward to the photos.

By the way, would that be the same sports grille that I have covered up (to the horror of several members on here) because of my pathological fear of stone damage to the rads! :Wink:

Keith

FirstHonda likes this.