Fuel Efficiency 4th Generation CR-V Owners: ECON On Or Off?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by TheDarkKnight, Monday 16th Sep, 2013.

?

ECON Button On Or Off?

1. ECON Switched On

54.2%
  2. ECON Switched Off

18.8%
  3. Mixed Use Of ECON Button

27.1%
  1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As the thread suggests really - do you drive with the ECON button on or off?

Or only sometimes?

2. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    2 years ago I had a Honda insight the current one facelift and I did a round trip from Leeds to Taunton. Going down with eco on got around 48 MPG driving it semi aggressively.its a milk float after all. Coming back without Eco the throttle response was better and the engine sounded lively and same driving mode 37 MPG. So Eco button does work.

4. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    The trip computer regularly displays over 50 MPG on urban runs. I never drive with Econ off, but the CR-V is much easier on fuel than my I-CTDI Tourer.

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Same as you Robbie, I always have it switched on - and it is far more frugal than the outgoing Accord I-DTEC that I had, despite having a smaller fuel tank and range.

A rough back-of-the-envelope calculation for my driving style, the ECON feature makes a 10-15% difference in MPG for me, sometimes more.

6. Mr Ashbo New Member Getting Started

I'm a newbie here and only got my new CR-V last week - so far only done 100 miles - all with ECON on. I'll be interested to see/learn how much difference it makes once I get a few miles under my belt.

7. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I had to go to the vet's this afternoon and it's all urban single carriageway roads. I then visited Tesco and took it easy returning home. About a mile or so from home the trip computer registered 70.9mpg. I could hardly believe it. Putting the car in the garage the readout was 63.2mpg for the whole journey home from Tesco.

I'll be truly delighted if these figures are translated when I next top up with diesel.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Amazing stuff Robbie!

I was pleased with my 64mpg - I think I will have to try a little harder to top your record figure there!!!

As a side note, do you find that your urban, stop start journeys, that you can amass 45-50mpg easily? I find it happens pretty much all the time, sometimes even higher.

9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Unfortunately, my journeys are quite short - 4 -5 miles - and there is frequently a lot of traffic so I can't always achieve these figures. The 70.9 was exceptional, but I regularly get between 40 and 46 on the same journey. There are a number of roundabouts, traffic lights, road junctions and speed bumps. I reckon that on a longer journey, respecting speed limits, and keeping an eye on the eco readout, I could easily achieve over 50mpg.

Last edited: Thursday 26th Sep, 2013
  10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Even 40-46mpg is pretty amazing when you consider the CR-V is almost 2t of car to navigate around town etc. Not even hybrids can manage that.

11. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I'm amazed, and delighted, at the fuel economy. I was expecting a drop compared with my I-CTDI Tourer. Unfortunately, it didn't have a trip computer so I wasn't able to check my journeys. Doing the same journeys I used to average 38 MPG, and returning from France, fully laden on the autoroutes, I always got 55mpg. I reckon the same journey in the CR-V would give me around 65mpg.

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like you Robbie, I think the CR-V is seriously underestimating the fuel consumption.

I have a few thousand miles under the hood, and the performance has been awesome. Even the odd cheeky blast off the traffic lights (in AWD/4WD) is rapid!

13. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Took my caravan in for its second service today and the trip computer registered 29.3 MPG. Not bad for a mixture of roads and towing a heavy 'van.

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

GULP!

Thats LOW! Was it uphill all the way?!!?!!?

15. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    For towing a caravan that's not bad at all. I only used to get 25mpg with my Accord Tourer I-CTDI and that was mainly on motorways Returning home solo I achieved 53.4mpg in my CR-V..

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not a tow-er of any kind so am not placed to comment on personal experiences - but your 53.4mpg brought a smile to my face!

17. NikP New Member Getting Started

Nik
    Econ on all time for me except when need to accelerate when cruise control active - just knock it off until it gets back up to warp speed.

:Whoosh:

18. Drew New Member Getting Started

Hi All, I'm new here but thought I'd just add my few pence worth.
    Since we got our I-DTEC EX we've done about 5000 happy miles and got an average of just over 41mpg when driving solo. I seem to leave ECON on most of the time when driving solo. When towing the ECON setting seems to have too much hysteresis and allows the speed to drop to the extent that a gear change is needed, so no ECON when towing.

We've just got back from a modest trip with the caravan around the south. About 900 miles down to Peterborough, across to Wales and back. Overall we got 26.7mpg when towing.
    Something thing I've noticed when towing is that the Change Gear indication seems almost irrelevant . It repeatedly suggests I change down, and change down again, and again.

Incidentally, does the engine management system recalibrate or something when stopped? Initially the computer indicated only about 23mpg but after I stopped for a break it went up to 31mpg on the next leg. Perhaps the roads of East Lothian just that much worse than the A1 further south? Wonder what I'd get in the deep south :Smile:

19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Drew, welcome to HK!

Is your CR-V manual or auto? That too has a big impact on real MPG too.

Yes the engine management does sort of "reset" or recalibrate - it all depends on the type of journey undertaken, what speeds, how many stops, how many gear changes etc. All of the those affect MPG.

20. Drew New Member Getting Started

Hi DarkKnight,
    Its manual, don't want to get bored when driving.
    Good to know I wasn't imagining the recalibration. Sure the variation in journey type and my driving etc., even the A/C, will make a difference to MPG.

BTW: Is there any way to actually turn off JUST the rear sensors when towing. The only instructions I have found are for key systems and the equivalent with the Stop/Start button does not seem to have any effect. Not a critical issue but I need all the help I can get when reversing the caravan, not additional distractions.