Service & Maintenance 4th Generation Honda Legend KB1 Normal Conditions Maintenance Schedule

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 5th Feb, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For all european Legends owners Follow the Normal Conditions Maintenance Schedule for your Legends KB1

Service at the indicated distance or time whichever comes first km x 1,000 15 30 45 60 75 90 105 120 135 150 165 180
    miles x 1,000 9 18 27 36 45 54 63 72 81 90 99 108
    months 12 24 36 48 60 72 84 96 108 120 132 144
    Replace engine oil
    Replace engine oil filter
    Replace air cleaner element Every 45,000 km (27,000 miles)
    Inspect the valve clearance Every 45,000 km (27,000 miles)
    Replace fuel filter
    Replace spark plugs Every 120,000 km (72,000 miles)
    Replace timing belt and inspect water pump
    Inspect drive belt
    Look for cracks and damage, then check the position of the drive belt auto-tensioner indicator
    Inspect idle speed
    Replace engine coolant
    Use genuine Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2
    At 200,000 km (120,000 miles) or 10 years, then every 100,000 km (60,000 miles) or 5 years
    Replace Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) *
    Use genuine Honda ATF-Z1
    Replace transfer fluid *
    Use hypoid gear oil GL4 or GL5
    Replace rear differential fluid
    Use genuine Honda ATF-Z1
    Inspect front and rear brakes

• Check the brake pad and disc thickness. Check for damage or cracks
    • Check the calipers for damage, leaks, and tightness
    Replace brake fluid

• Use only DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid. We recommend genuine Honda Brake Fluid
    • Check the brake fluid level is between upper and lower marks on the reservoir
    Every 3 years
    Check parking brake adjustment
    Check the parking brake operation
    *: At 120,000 km (72,000 miles) or 8 years, thereafter every 75,000 km (45,000 miles) or 5 years.
    Service at the indicated distance or time whichever comes first km x 1,000 15 30 45 60 75 90 105 120 135 150 165 180
    miles x 1,000 9 18 27 36 45 54 63 72 81 90 99 108
    months 12 24 36 48 60 72 84 96 108 120 132 144
    Replace dust and pollen filter *
    If the vehicle is driven primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air, under dusty conditions or the air flow from the heating and cooling system becomes less than usual, replace the filter every 15,000 km (9,400 miles) or 1 year
    Check lights alignment
    Check the position of the headlights
    Test drive (noise, stability, dashboard operation)
    Inspect vehicle corrosion:
    refer to the Body Repair Manual

• External Paintwork and Panel Corrosion Check
    • Under body Corrosion Check
    Every year
    Visually inspect the following items:

• Check correct installation and position, check cracks, deterioration, rust, and leaks
    • Check tightness of screws, nuts, and joints. If necessary, retighten
    Tie-rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots

• Check rack grease and steering linkage
    • Check the boot for damage and leaking grease
    Suspension components

• Check the bolts for tightness
    • Check all dust covers for deterioration and damage
    Driveshaft boots

• Check the boot and boot band for cracks
    • Check rack grease
    Brake hoses and lines (including VSA)
    Check the master cylinder, VSA modulator-control unit, and leakage
    All fluid levels and condition of fluids
    Check levels and if necessary, look for leaks

• Engine coolant
    • Rear differential fluid
    • Transmission fluid
    • Transfer fluid
    • Power steering fluid
    • Brake fluid
    • Windshield fluid
    Exhaust system
    Check the catalytic converter heat shield, exhaust pipe, and muffler for damage, leaks, and tightness
    Fuel lines and connections
    Check fuel lines for loose connections, cracks, and deterioration. Retighten loose connections and replace any damaged parts
    Tyre condition
    Check pressure, puncture, or cuts and irregular thread wear
    *: When you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air, under dusty conditions or the air flow from the heating and cooling system/climate control system becomes less than usual. Replace the filter every 9,000 miles or 1 year.

2. buzbyten 146 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is there a copy in miles rather than KMH?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Both formats are there close to each other,have a closer look :Wink:

4. buzbyten 146 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks e.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No problem if you need any further information we will get through it time we in the UK and Europe had a more Legend centric location for the KB1.:Wink:

6. Remedy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rem Austria
    Hi Ichiban and thanks for the schedule.

1) How often should the fuel filter be replaced?
    2) How often should the timing belt and water pump inspected/replaced? And the drive belt?
    3) How often should the rear differential fluid be replaced?
    4) Do you have any idea if there is a german (or at least english) service/owner's/repair manual existing for the Honda Legend KB1?

Thanks a lot.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Rern,
    Welcome to HK, I hope this answers your questions.

1) How often should the fuel filter be replaced?
    120000 kms or 72000 miles or every 96 Months which every comes first
    2) How often should the timing belt and water pump inspected/replaced? And the drive belt?
    Every 120,000 km (72,000 miles)
    3) How often should the rear differential fluid be replaced?
    30,000 kms or 18,000 miles or every 24 months
    4) Do you have any idea if there is a german (or at least english) service/owner's/repair manual existing for the Honda Legend KB
    As for Service manual I have one as I bought it from the dealers they are expensive but you will be surprised to find genuine WSM on eBay the genuine Honda DVD come in all European languages. If you look closely on ebay now there are copies for sale sorry can’t put that link in.

Remedy likes this.
  8. Remedy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rem Austria
    Thanks Ichi,

Thanks for all the information. Right now I am thinking of buying a Legend KB1 (I live in Austria and would have to import it from Germany since it is really rare here...).
    And right now I am trying to learn as much as possible about the car and the costs. Especially because I am driving around 50.000km per year...

I am also trying to figure out how much the fuel consumption is but some talk about 9l/100km and some about 14l, there's a little discrepancy...:Grin:

Can you give my just a hint about which words I should use in ebay for the search in order to find the DVD?^^,

Thanks.

9. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

I would like to know why we need to replace the timing belt at 72000, When our american cousins do it at 100000 miles. I've Checked the part numbers on the rl and all are identical to our Hondas. Is this another example of rip off Britain?. I know people are going to chip in now and start talking about different climatic conditions but this covers - 30 winters to plus 50 in Arizona.

Matt

Remedy likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :Unknown:

11. Remedy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rem Austria
    Are there any other discrepancies that we know of?
    I had once a Civic ej9, the first time the belt was replaced was with 90.000km, there was no next time and I drove it until it had 300.000km.
    But maybe I was lucky... (great car...)

12. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Im fine with everthing else as the diff is a complicated piece of kit, I like to change engine oil regularly as well, it just stinks a bit on the timing belt. Fo sure i wouldn't like it to fail and i will be replacing it when its due but i will be ordering all the bits from the states as Honda uk want 450 just for the water pump. I can get the full kit delivered in genuine Honda bags with the cam seals tensioner, pump idler , belt the lot for 350 ok i might get stung for a bit of import duty but it will still be a massive saving.

Matt

13. Remedy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rem Austria
    Are you doing the service work yourself?
    Sorry for the off topic in this thread, but do you have a preferred dealer that you rely on?
    I would like to know...

The prices here in austria for original honda pieces are quite high.
    Regarding the water pump: Someone told me that it doesn't need replacement when you replace the belt, is that true?

btw.
    How can I send private messages to people in here?
    Didn't see it until now...

14. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

When i asked Honda they tolod me that the water pump doesnt need replacing but whilst i was in there i would change it at the same time. I guess you could spin it up with the belt off and have a listen to the bearing but me personally i would change it. Same goes for the idler and tensioner pulley but i would hate to write off the engine for a 10 pound bearing 6 months down the line.

Matt

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Pass this is as per Workshop manual printed by Honda for the European cars. They will have their reason nothing to do with Britain as it EU wide service schedule.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As for water pump change its always best practice to replace it as you have the font end of the car already strip for the belt change. You see it all the time people skimping on to find 6 month later the pump has a whine, so you paying for parts and labour again.

As for ebay keyword look for Honda Legend KB1 workshop dvd in UK ebay page.