Service & Maintenance 4th Generation Legend Pop-up Bonnet

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by SayamaAccord, Sunday 4th Dec, 2011.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The pop-up bonnet is a safety feature for the benefit of pedestrians in the event of an accident.

Honda received negative publicity when it became apparent that the system was sometimes deploying inappropriately, for instance if the car made contact with a child's football or the top of a speed bump.

The software in the deployment control unit was programmed too sensitively in some 07/08 Legends, so Honda issued a safety recall to arrange for affected customers to have the unit replaced with one which did not activate so readily.

You might want to check with a Honda dealer if you have any concerns.

2. Cruxi New Member Getting Started

Pedestrian Ejector

Hi.

I have a 2006 Legend and the 'Pedestrian Ejector' (pop-up bonnet) warning lamp has come on. It's easy to switch off, but this still leaves the common warning lamp lit and it has to be done at each key on.

Have any of you suffered a similar problem and do you have any idea how to sort it?

I would also love to set the central locking up to open all the doors on the first click. I understand from the owner's manual that this is a configurable option in other countries, but not in the UK... Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Steve

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Pedestrian Ejector

Hi Steve,

Have you had a minor front end impact ?there sensor plate for the Pop Up Hood system, behind the front bumper and its is made from very thin steel and as a result it could be deformed in the event of a minor parking accident, and even though the bumper may not show any signs of damage the plate could be deformed. If this plate is deformed by more than 10 degrees it will cause the PUH -Pop Up Hood system to deactivate, illuminate the warning lamp and set a DTC.

if you have the Legend sales brochure that Pop Up Hood is explained as a pedestrian safety feature, which it certainly is!!
    Additionally the owners manual clearly states “the system maybe deployed in the event of a high speed impact with a small animal or bird” this is due to the impact forces generated at these higher speeds.

So to answer your question you need to go into a dealer who will interrogate the DTC code and remove , as far as i know there is no way of owner manual override or clear out.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

you have to just ask :Wink:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

Agree 100% with that. CJ (IchibanAccord) is a walking Honda Encyclopedia. Just ask what you need to know and CJ will be able to dig up the information :Wink:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

LegendG1, I'm not entirely sure what has rattled your cage.

I chimed in not because I'm am referees linesman but because whilst undertaking engine or gearbox rebuilds whenever I have needed detailed technical notes/measurements or any information Ichiban has dropped what he has been doing and gone out of his way to provide this information.

The information has always been correct and the speed with Ichiban has responded has always impressed me. So when I say Ichiban is a walking Honda Encyclopedia I say that from my experience.

At no point did myself or Ichiban say you shouldn't go to any other website. The point simply was that if you need any information ask and shall be dug up for you. How is that controlling, just pointing what services are available ?

Last edited: Sunday 3rd Feb, 2013
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Off you go then..! However...

You have completely or deliberately mis-understood what was actually been said here- It is not a case of being controlling or not allowing you to share your information etc etc etc- (a petty swipe which was unnecessary and I take exception to). Neither is it a case of others towing the party line-ACTUALLY..all differences of opinion are constructively debated here.
    As you clearly feel so strongly I suggest you find another community which is better suited to you as your comments say more about you than about me!
    So with immediate effect and to be honest, with pleasure- your account is closed.

8. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Most strongly & completely disagree with you & to be honest find your comments ridiculous & very poor taste !

This is not what this forum is about so think you should move on

- - - Updated - - -

Rise above it CJ, keep calm & Honda on!!!

9. atrrr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Espoo
    My "Popup hood check system" warning message after a minor accident. I guess replacing the sensor plate is part of the repairs (and repair costs)?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Did you get a resolution to this issue? @atrrr

Just been reading up on this matter to determine if plate is deformed you have to do this at the dealers or have knowledge of HDS

POP-UP HOOD Safety Plate Inspection

NOTE: Do not replace the pedestrian crash sensors and PUH unit before do the following procedure.

• Park the vehicle on flat horizontal surface.
    • Ensure the tyre pressures are set at the correct value.
    • Ensure all luggage are removed from the vehicle.
    • Sit the driver's seat and ensure all of the doors are closed and nobody is touching the vehicle.
    • The shift lever in the Park position, then apply the parking brake.
    • Connect the HDS to the data link connector (DLC).
    • Select POP-UP HOOD, then DATA LIST on the HDS.
    • Confirm the Right, Center, and Left Safety Plate Angle (L, C, and R PCS detection).
    • If the all of the angles are less than +/−10.0 degrees, the safety plate can be reused.
    • If the one or more angles are more than +/−10.0 degrees, the safety plate must be replacement.
    NOTE: Refer to Component Replacement/Inspection After Deployment regarding parts that must be replaced.

vincemince likes this.
  11. partsoemru Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Russian Federation Vitaliy Bratsk
    Hello dear owners of Honda Legend.
    A long time ago I read a forum, it is very useful for many but not enough information for the owners of our cars, I do yavdyayus owner Honda legends and like you, was faced with this problem for the first time in 2009, the second time when my wife was hit by accident a dog ran across the roadway in Russia it is a frequent occurrence.
    But I learned to remove this error, even if the sensors are slightly shifted or you have damaged the plate, this is not the Problem.
    To eliminate the need block, located under the passenger seat, it looks like this:
    818aa1cs-960.
    6dcaa1cs-480.
    4feaa1cs-960.
    b8aaa1cs-960.
    To solve this problem shooting the hood, we need to remove the block and sew it.
    fb0aa1cs-480.
    Also, instead of set resistance squibs.
    cfaaa1cs-480.
    After installation, the unit of resistance and gather it all back.
    61eaa1cs-480.
    If someone needs help, ask.

Rydo, legend-ary and SpeedyGee like this.
  12. Rydo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ryan Glasgow
    Thanks for your reply @partsoemru but I am finding it quite hard to follow.

It looks like you are installing a resistor to a part under the passenger seat? Remember our cars are right hand drive not left hand drive like Russian vehicles so I'm sure if this would be the left or right seat.

I don't quite follow the parts that you say need to be replace sorry.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Rydo likes this.
  14. partsoemru Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Russian Federation Vitaliy Bratsk
    @Rydo It does not matter what drive vehicles.
    We eliminate mistakes to correct, we need only block, which is under the passenger seat.
    After our treatments we send the unit back, set and errors will be gone.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Here we need this block. A set resistors instead of squibs.
    - - - Updated - - -
    That's how it all looks.
    we repair the unit.

Attached Files: