Exhaust System 5 exhaust ports on manifold??

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Paul_The_Human, Monday 29th Apr, 2013.

1. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I recently changed my cracked exhaust manifold on my 2.2 accord and noticed the manifold has 5 ports on it not 4 ?! Can any let me know why this is? The car is a 4 cylinder isn't it?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. ann_kelvin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The picture explains everything I guess. Did you mean the 5th port for the turbo or you had different manifold?

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Look at the exhaust manifold gasket - that might make the OP's question make more sense.

5. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you look om the exhasut manifold there are 5 holes which go to the block and obviously if you count the one which goes to the turbo 6, but that isn't what I'm on about as that would be there whether it was turbo or not as that would be where the exhaust conects to.
    Its deff the right manifold as its all fitted on and works and has exactly the same hole pattern as the one which came off.

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It's an 'educated' guess but, bearing in mind the 5th hole will be on the right hand side of the engine (looking at it from the front) I would suspect it might have something to do with the EGR valve as that is on the same end of the engine.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    ime sure its all to do with efficiant exhaust gas flow.

8. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I wondered about the possibilty for EGR vale and recircualting the unburnt crap straight back into the exhaust, just strange it goes through the block to do it like that :Blink: and yeah may be a possibility for more efficient gas flow but surely adding an off sized port compared to the overs would disrupt it more, they would have been better making all the ports that much bigger? I did hear that the turbos on these have are variable and spin up and stay there etc and rarely drop speed to avoid turbo lag, maybe that's has something to do with the extra hole?

9. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Variable geometry turbos is what i am on about, couldn't think of the name off top of my head lol