Partner's Car '54 Civic Sport

7th Generation (2001-2005) vehicle added by Nighthawk, Wednesday 25th Mar, 2015

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Nighthawk added a new Honda to the garage:

Civic Sport

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. Nighthawk Guest

THE RUSTY BITS:
    So, saw this at time of purchase, used it as a bargaining tool. The rust has started inside of the bonnet, broken through the inner skin and is starting to punch through the outer skin. The problem with fixing rust on panels with outer and inner skins is getting to the rust that is between these panels to treat them effectively. There are also stone chips on the bonnet which need correcting and some are deepish so reality is, I will probably just replace the entire bonnet with a second hand one, easy enough to do and is around a 30 min job with alignment. If it was only the inner skin that had rust on it, I would just have fixed it myself, but you can feel the rust wanted to punch through when you put pressure on it, so its eaten all the way through as explained above. Just replace it, probably cost less anyway.

IMAG1365.

IMAG1369.

CIGARETTE LIGHTER:
    Ok, so the issue with the cigarette lighter was that it was working intermittently, I never use a lighter socket with the exception of a sat nav and any long journeys are the domain of the Accord, however, thats not the point, its not working, and it should be. So, this morning, after the school run, I decided to take a closer look. I knew it wasnt an electrical issue as it worked if I turned the adapter but whilst turning it, it made scrapping noises which it shouldnt. So, took a look inside the socket and saw this:

IMAG1343.
    Anyone else see rust and muck on the negative terminal? That would explain the lack of constant contact. I will see if I can clean this out, if not, I will just simply replace it.

WINDSCREEN CRACK:
    Crack in the windscreen is on the passenger side and out of the MOT failure area and not big enough anyway, but chances are, I will just replace the windscreen as it is pitted anyway and windscreens only cost a couple of hundred. Then I can get one with a sunstrip across the top of it.

IMAG1377.
    CENTRE CONSOLE:
    This is just not seated correctly, will sort this out easily enough

IMAG1376.

3. Nighthawk Guest

IMAG1380.
    IMAG1382.

Air filter is lovely and clean, plugs arent too bad either

Sticky throttle cable fixed already

Bones126 likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What was the cause of the sticky throttle cable ?

5. Nighthawk Guest

There was muck built up around the throttle body spring spindle causing it to stick. There was also a bit of rust just where the cable goes into its sleeving by the throttle cable adjustment nut. Il see how it goes, it seems fine now, if it comes back again, I might consider replacing the cable.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Nice easy fix :Thumbup:

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

Adjusted the throttle cable at the same time just a tad to make it slightly more responsive to the touch of the foot. Hate having to press a pedal half a mile before it does anything.

8. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Very nice, I bought a grey one for work back in 2004, diesel version and was never the same after the turbo went, but that wasn't a Honda engine.

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

IMAG1386.

10. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    What a lovely pair you have

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Filter and plugs look good. The bonnet and screen should be straight forward to change.
    Your Accord looks so glossy next to the Civic, or is that the lighting?

12. Nighthawk Guest

Thats the difference between a buffed and regularly polished car next to one which needs both doing to it.

Missus has told me that she wants parking sensors fitted to it - I think she has gotten used to them in the Accord, so thats to be added to the list

Drove the Accord this afternoon for the school run for the first time in almost 2 days, after spending today in the Civic, the Accord just felt soo nice, so smooth to ride, glides over the road and much less road noise too. Amazing how just one model changes so much between the two

Superman001 likes this.
  13. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Yes I have to admit if I got another EP3 it would have to be for weekends only as the refinement of the CL7 is in another league.

14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    YAY !!!! Another 7th Generation Civic for the club garage. She looks pretty good. Congrats to you and the missus !!

Love the colour by the way :Smile:

Looking at her, I definitely think I need to spray more of the chrome on my car the same colour as the car.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ooooo - I saw your comment about the cigarette lighter

I have the center console from my car that was replaced when I got my carbon wrapped center console, and it has the cigarette lighter in it. Do you want it ? Gratis of course.

Nels and Nighthawk like this.
  15. Nighthawk Guest

Im going to be doing lots of DIY's Rog, so might be stealing your Civic DIY crown soon.... lol :Laughing:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thats kind of you Rog, let me see if I can salvage what I currently have first

Duc de Pommfrit and RogerH69 like this.
  16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

LOL good man.... it was getting a little lonely in Civic land.

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Sorry, Roger, I own a EU8 but it never needs anything doing to it so didn't get round to doing any DIYs for it :Blushing:

18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

He he. No worries @SpeedyGee . I enjoy doing the guides.

Nighthawk likes this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

So just done a few small things so far today:

CIGARETTE LIGHTER:
    This was a quick 15 minute job, fixed it as follows:

1 - Pull down the gator off the end of the gear knob, it just clips on and unscrew gearknob.
    IMAG1401.

2 - Use trim removal tools and unclip the lower fascia and pull it away.
    IMAG1400.

3 - Remove the two plugs at the back for the lighter and hazard light switch.
    IMAG1395.

4 - Push the lighter socket out from behind and get cleaning. I used a dremel attachment to clear the junk away.
    IMAG1392.

5 - After a bit of cleaning, it now looks like this
    IMAG1389.

IMAG1443.

It works perfectly now, no problems at all

POLLEN FILTER:
    Decided to take a look at these today and saw this:

IMAG1403.

Hmm, they need replacing. Just cleaned them out for the moment as best as I could and will replace them next month after payday.

Will create a DIY on how to change these

CENTRE CONSOLE:
    This took literally 2 minutes. Unscrew the two screws at the rear of the console, remove it and put it back in again with the tabs in the correct position, then screw it back down again. Its now aligning up correctly.

IMAG1421.

WINDSCREEN WASHER ALIGNMENT:
    The water jets were spraying all over the place.
    IMAG1418.

Using a simple needle, these were adjusted - DIY to follow. Red circles show the point of impact of the washer fluid.

Last edited: Thursday 26th Mar, 2015
  20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's a good mornings work. :GoodJob: x 4
    That filter is unforgivable. Between changes, I vacuum out the filters on my cars. Such a simple job to ensure you and the engine can breath.