Engine & Gearbox 5th Gear issue after gearbox oil change and jerky throttle

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Pete R, Thursday 31st Mar, 2016.

1. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Hi all, bit of an odd one here and couldn't find anything similar searching the forums.
    I've just had 125k service done at independent garage using all Honda parts from HH and had the gearbox oil changed for first time in car's life using Honda AFT3.
    I went to pick the car up and they admitted that they had broken the speedo sender. They used this opening to fill the gearbox (unusual?), and in doing so lost the required shim washer so that when replaced, the sensor was too far in and the end was damagd. They have ordered a new one from Honda and will sort out.
    However, as soon as I was driving home, I noticed an issue in that trying to change from 4th to 5th, the lever was ending up over-shooting the 5th/6th plane and ending up in the reverse plane, making 5th selection impossible and having to take the lever back to neutral and carefully move the lever slightly to the right to get it into the correct vertical plane. This was happingat least 50% of the time, the other times it seemed OK. This was never an issue before the service.
    How could this be connected to an oil change?

Another strange issue (other than having no speedo, no satnav, no cruise, no trip computer etc.) was that I noticed that the car was hiccuping and coughing a lot when cold and then when warm was suffering from jerky throttle response, seeming to open/shut the fuel too aggressively, making for very jerky progress.
    Could these be linked to a missing speedo input to ECU, or is something else wrong? There are no codes displayed, although I have had the inlet manifold runner solenoid code intermittently in the past (can't remember exact code off top of my head), but that has never had this effect on running.

Slightly miffed, as after a simple service my car seems to be a mess, but maybe all coincidental?

2. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Do you mean MTF3? ATF is automatic transmission fluid.

3. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Yeah, sorry I did mean MTF.
    Also I think service was 150k (the last column on standard Honda service sheet), so oil (lubetech), oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter all done as well as gearbox.
    Should have said also thus us 2.2 CDTi facelift.
    Sorry was tired when posting and also don't have all the service details to hand.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm wondering if the end part of the speed sensor was broken off and is now floating around inside the gearbox causing problems? Can you ask to see the damaged sensor to check if that's possible?

I would be very angry with the garage who did this, you have my sympathy!

5. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Yeah, sorry I did mean MTF.
    Also I think service was 150k (the last column on standard Honda service sheet), so oil (lubetech), oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter all done as well as gearbox.
    Should have said also thus us 2.2 CDTi facelift.
    Sorry was tired when posting and also don't have all the service details to hand.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hi Zebster, they did confirm that nothing was actually broken off the sensor (offered to show me it).
    I've used to garage for some years with several of our cars with no issues. They will be rectifying the issue ASAP, just unfortunate it has happened just before Easter, so I'm not going to be able to get back three for a week. So I'm trying to figure out in the mean time if the other issues are related or very coincidental.
    I've already emailed them details of all the problems following the service.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Filing the gearbox thorough the speed sensor hole is just totally wrong procedure anyway ? How much fluid did they put in, do you know ?

I recon they may have overfilled the gearbox, leading to overheating.

Here is the correct procedure Accord i-CTDi Gearbox/Transmission Fluid Replacement MTF

I'd ask them to drain the fluid and refill using the correct procedure (at their cost).

Last edited: Friday 1st Apr, 2016
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I wouldn't use that garage again. :nea:
    MTF change on the N22A gearbox is pretty straight forward. What they did was just crazy. :dunce:

hondream likes this.
  8. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    No, it doesn't sound great does it?

9. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Thanks for the link SpeedyGee, that's the procedure I found last night as I couldn't believe that the speed sensor was the correct filling point.
    They have used 2 and a bit bottles (of the 3 supplied by HH). Theres a lot left in the 3rd bottle so probably works at around the 2.2 litre mark.
    I probably won't use them again after this, but will see what they do to resolve the problems I have now, once I can get the car back to them next week.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    2.2 litres actually sounds OK.

11. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    OK, update to this issue.
    Landed back in UK and drive home from airport carpark (hence why I couldn't go straight back to the garage immediately).
    Car was coughing/hiccuping worse than ever and ended up with engine management light on and went into limp mode. Couldn't read codes as my OBD is on the blink (new one now ordered). Thankfully limp mode is 2000rpm which at least equates to 70mph.

Went to garage to get speedo sender replaced, complaining about the cock up and ending up with a virtually undriveable car to get to/from airport.
    Unbelievably, every single problem was resolved by replacing speedo sender!!

It is scary that so much relies on the info from this sender!

This is a rough list of thing affected:
    - Gear change - obviously there is a speed related lock-out on the a reverse plane
    - SatNav - you'd think it could still use GPS speedo
    - General fueling of engine - major running issues when both hot and cold
    - Steering seemed odd - does it have variable hydraulic assistance according to speed?
    - Cruise control / Trip computer / Speed limit warning - all pretty obvious
    - Stereo - no automatic speed related volume control

SpeedyGee likes this.
  12. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    First thing that came to mind was, has that part dropped into the gearbox.

Good to see it is sorted.