Accord/5th Gen 5th Generation Very strange story read it ,Help with my idle stuff fitv etc and ecu

Discussion in '5th Generation (1994-1997) [Rover 600, Isuzu Aska]' started by bladest, Sunday 30th Dec, 2012.

1. bladest Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi people i recently made a repair to my cylinder head not me service did it.
    After that i got problems my idling of my accord is kinda strange when i use petrol fuel i will give u a link to see it!

i made adjustemnt to my fitv but it doesnt help me emsad. ((
    i don't have any ECU light on, but one of my friends told me that if i can find some honda diagnostic connection i can see the real life data and see the problem?
    if some one can help me i will be very happy.
    i am from BG and my accord is eu model 131hp f20z1 engine cc7,2.0is modification.
    1994 year so no obd ii connection i don't know what kinda connection have but for sure its not obd ii i can make diagnostic with paper clip and i have engine MIL codes but right now i don't have any yellow light so i can't make anything. And my idling problem troubles me a lot!

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to AOC Baldest.

So have I understood correctly, you had some work done on you cylinder head after which you are having idle issues when running on petrol ?

Does the car idle OK when running on gas ?

The engine is hunting (revs going up and down), you may have an airlock in the water pipes.

If it's only hunting on one fuel looks for a vacuum leak.

The other question is the gas system tuned ? Looks like a single point system , if that is out of tune when you return to petrol the ECU will try and adjust the petrol fuel trim out of its normal range.

3. bladest Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So here are answers :Smile:
    i have this problem only on petrol i don't have this problem on LPG/gas, car have factory lpg/gas lovato installed 1994.
    when i star my car i always use petrol ,so when i start it or when i switch from lpg back to petrol and i am shifted into neutral i always have this revs/idle problem?
    Its very strange because on lpg i don't have it?
    Any suggestions?
    I had problems with my head , it was twisted and after service fix it and buildeverything then it start this problem? Is it possible that this can be some cable or something small because before weeks my car was in perfect condition and i never had any revs problem or issue :Frown:? How i can see check for vacuum leak and repair it ?
    P.s.i also changed all gaskets for my car recently before 1-2 weeks when we made cylinder head work :Smile:

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hmm one easy way to locate a vacuum leak is to use a bottle of carb cleaner and spray around different areas of engine with the engine running. Change in engine running indicates issue. Be careful where you spray on a fully warmed up engine though !

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Or check all the pipe for cracks , pinch pipes to hear a noise change..

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Sounds definitely like a cracked, loose connected, wrong connected or not connected vacuum tube. As said above, check every tube carefully.
    I had a similar problem many years ago on a petrol (carburettor) car: vacuum tube for ignition timing was cracked. Replaced the 20 cent tube: ran as new.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

As well as leak from cracked pipes or pipes not attached correctly, the leak could be from a damaged gasket which should have been replaced or something that has not been tightened correctly.

Best to go back to the garage (service as you call it) and get them to check things.

8. bladest Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

People do u think this can be wrong timing belts and pulleys??
    garage won't fix it for free ;[
    but i won't be their client anymore for that reason!
    they make more damage than good!!!!!!!

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Incorrect timing would give you misfire or non starting.

10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Correct, I once had a Peugeot petrol with incorrect timing. Gave misfire and poor reaction on throtlle.

11. bladest Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

since my accord is very rare i will check timing in 3 days maximum when services open which will cost me a fortune :Frown:
    i hope to find the problem soon so any more suggestions will be great.

here is one question do my car have obd 1 or honda specific diagnostic thing?
    I use paper clips to diagnostic my car but i don't have any codes at the moments ?

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Your car is running fine apart from the idle hunting issue. You don't have a misfire so you won't have a code.

You don't have a misfire so therefore you don't have a timing issue.

Don't waste your money on getting a timing issue looked at, you don't have a timing issue.

Get "services" to check for vacuum leak not timing issue and bleed the water system to make sure there is no air lock.

13. bladest Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What do u mean with that air lock? Any info will be geeat? I don't have air in my antifreeze radiator?

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes air lock in radiator.

How do you know there is no air lock ? Did you bleed the air yourself or see the garage do it ?

15. bladest Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My raditator is very old it removes air when put inside antifreeze!

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You can still get air lock issues for example in the small pipes going to the fast idle control.

17. bladest Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My engine changed when they returned car to me they also had extreme troubles with my timing set i mean it was hard for them since here in bulgaria everyone drive german cars.

18. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    If you remove the oil filler cap and there is no change in the idle speed it will be an air leak.
    As stated above other problems will happen if the timing was out.
    Even a rubber pipe that looks ok may be letting in air via small cracks that can be spotted by giving the rubber a good squeeze.
    I have spent far too much time and money on old bmws and 90% of idle issues are due to old rubner hoses.

Question for all
    Is there a known issue to do with the crankcase breather connection on these engines?

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nope but the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation valve) can get junked up if the oil histories are poor, if you remove the PCV and have the engine running put your finger tips on it and see if the suction is there.

if not a few repeated quirts of carb cleaner will cure it.