Fuel Efficiency 62mpg

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by bigroncoleman, Monday 8th Jul, 2013.

1. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well I'm on my hols at the mo, wife and I thought we'd cruise down the south for a few days. Did 290 miles yesterday,nearly all motorway, 95% on cruise at 1900 RPM which I reckon is a sweet spot for my car. The OBC was showing 56-57mpg most of the way, which I know from regularly checking is about 5mpg out on low side every time. Reckon I averaged 61-62mpg which I was very impressed with.

Not quite as impressive as DKs 919 to a tank with reserve left but about as close as I will get.

Pic taken at 200 miles done and miles left was pretty consistent all the way showing about 860-880 to a tank.

BigRon

20130707_175319.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    wow that is impressive!

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is superb.
    Best I managed of my old diesel Accord was 57 MPG on long yourneys.

4. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

At about 1900rpm in 6th on a manual thats about 65-67mph on the gauge, is that about right? I have also noticed that I can achieve an estimated 800mile+ range from driving just under 70mph on cruise on the motorway which is good. I find range then drops off quickly as you progress above 70mph although only down to ~600+ miles.Does anyone know what the refresh rate is on the range indicator?cheersNeil

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would put the refresh rate every 15 minutes personally.

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    In previous gen Civic, it's every 20 minutes.

7. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The pic shows the speed I did as it was taken with cruise on 200 miles in. Just about 65, requires patience but I really wanted to see how much was doable and this was my first long long run since I got the car. For me 1900 RPM is sweet spot, I see a fairly big drop off after that....

8. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thought so but wanted to check that the speed in your photo was the basis for the result, you are right it does take patience!

9. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    if i may, what fuel are you using?

10. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I find that doing 80-85 mph mine really likes to drink the diesel, round town though, stop start traffic, thats where i find, for a 2.2 its brilliant on fuel.

11. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    I ran mine almost to empty for the first time (2011 Diesel Tourer) before I filled it yesterday.

It took 61.34 litres to fill to the brim and I had covered 760 miles (21 remaining according to the fuel computer). Average MPG 56.4.

Still nowhere near TDK's 919 though.

By the way - where is TDK, I never seem to see his name on the forum nowadays?

12. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I usually buy BP standard diesel, tried the ultimate stuff but didn't find much difference. I tried to avoid the likes of Tesco when i can....

- - - Updated - - -

That's excellent, especially for a tourer which i've read gives less MPG on average.

How would you class the type of driving you did for this 56.4 MPG?

- Mostly motorway?
    - Average speed?
    etc.

Re TDK, he is on a lengthy holiday in Europe touring about on his new CR-V i believe, he is due back anytime now i think

13. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

[/QUOTE]
    That's excellent, especially for a tourer which i've read gives less MPG on average.

How would you class the type of driving you did for this 56.4 MPG?

- Mostly motorway?
    - Average speed?
    etc.

Re TDK, he is on a lengthy holiday in Europe touring about on his new CR-V i believe, he is due back anytime now i think[/QUOTE]

The 56.4 MPG was achieved on a mix of motorway and A Roads, although there were a few narrow country lanes and steep hills to contend with in the North Yorkshire Moors. I usually travel at the prevalent speed limit where possible but have the instant fuel consumption displayed most of the time and am reasonably light footed.

As happens in the majority of cases the actual consumption was quite a bit higher than the 53.4 displayed on the OBC. Strangely enough though, when I filled up last time the display showed 56.3 but the actual was only 52.8. This happened once before and I am surprised that there can be such a big discrepancy in both directions.

14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    As happens in the majority of cases the actual consumption was quite a bit higher than the 53.4 displayed on the OBC. Strangely enough though, when I filled up last time the display showed 56.3 but the actual was only 52.8. This happened once before and I am surprised that there can be such a big discrepancy in both directions.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
    This Accord is the first car with OBC that I own that is able to show sometimes spot on real fuel consumption. My Civic was consistant between 5 to 10% to optimistic, but this Accord is between 0 and 5% to optimistic. Nice achievement, no? Allthough: 0% happened only 2 times. Other fills were around 5% to optimistic on OBC.

Edit:
    Differences can occure because of the place where you fill up:
    - You can fill you tank a bit more if the filler opening is at the pump side AND the car bends a bit away from the pump (no air bubble possible at other side of the tank).
    - the auto-stop of the pistol might be a bit different at different stations
    To calculate exactly, you should only rely on fill ups under exactly same conditions (same station, same location of the car on that station, and stop filling after the auto-stop of the pistol shuts of the pump).

Last edited: Wednesday 17th Jul, 2013
  15. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi,
    This Accord is the first car with OBC that I own that is able to show sometimes spot on real fuel consumption. My Civic was consistant between 5 to 10% to optimistic, but this Accord is between 0 and 5% to optimistic. Nice achievement, no? Allthough: 0% happened only 2 times. Other fills were around 5% to optimistic on OBC.

Edit:
    Differences can occure because of the place where you fill up:
    - You can fill you tank a bit more if the filler opening is at the pump side AND the car bends a bit away from the pump (no air bubble possible at other side of the tank).
    - the auto-stop of the pistol might be a bit different at different stations
    To calculate exactly, you should only rely on fill ups under exactly same conditions (same station, same location of the car on that station, and stop filling after the auto-stop of the pistol shuts of the pump).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I must confess however that I always fill up literally to the point where I can see the fuel at the top of the filler tube. People tell me that this is wasteful but it should give a consistent MPG figure!

16. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Ok so I wanted to see what I could get... filled up with vpower diesel on Wednesday and with BP regular diesel today and reset the OBC... this is what I got cruising at 70 all the way on M40 with no AC (it was much better outside today):

photo_zps3ee50f21.

17. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Very impressive. A few questions:

- how much uphill/downhill does this route have?
    - is your car pre or post facelift model?
    - Have you compared the OBC MPG value with real life calculation i.e. does it over or under estimate?

Mine showed 56-57mpg on my journey but i know this is about 5-6mpg understating

18. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    1. There is a steep climb past Oxford (South bound) and then another one after Wycombe and one steep descend but yea a few peaks and troughs as you would... topography of the area becomes clearer as the MPG bar slides to the left!
    2. Pre-facelift
    3. I don't think I have done manual calculations in the recent past. Perhaps something I can look into. Would be interesting to find out if mine is understating.

One thing I must mention is that I was on cruise for like 98% of the time @ 70. I guess would get a much better figure at 60 or 65 but as far as my patience goes, that's prolly as far as I can push it!

19. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

In my experience the MPG improves quite a lot if you do say 65, instead of 70. Prob a good 5mpg more, possibly more. But as you say, patience required and after i did the 200 odd mile during this test at 65mph i thought to myself, there is more to life than this and speeded up on the return journey - it's a bad job when the buses nearly overtake you :Aghast:

Yes also defo do an actual check for your MPGS, my understates about 5-6mpg every time. Going by your figures i'd imagine for you however, it looks pretty close....

20. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

MPG improves a lot more if you turn off silly things like the A/C. This country isnt hot enough for "needing" A/C.

I recall in my old Accord, it made a good 5-10% difference in MPG (depending on speeds).