Optional Extras '63 Plate Honda CR-V - Factory Fit Removable Tow Bar

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by mr_veedubberman, Friday 29th Jan, 2016.

1. mr_veedubberman New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Tony Bristol
    Hi everyone,

I have a '63 plate CR-V EX that I want to fit a removable tow bar to. I've been looking at a genuine Honda one but haven't been able find many pictures of one fitted except what is in Honda's accessory brochure (see attached picture) 08L92T1G600. .

What I am most interested in is what it looks like with the tow bar detached and how the electrics are mounted.

I found a video on Youtube showing a video (
    ) on how to mount and demount a detachable trailer hitch on a 2013 Honda CR-V which I is for a genuine Honda one but I was hoping that someone out there would be able to send me some pictures just to confirm this before I go ahead and buy one?

Thanks

Tony

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Ichiban maybe able to answer this one ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Here you go mate

Attached Files:

4. mr_veedubberman New Member Getting Started

Nice one guys, thanks for the speedy answer.

One last question, does the removable section fit onto the car as in the video I attached in my initial post?
    The reason I ask is once the tow hitch is remove I don't want the mounting showing - a lot of the aftermarket removable tow bars seems to leave the square box section of the mounting showing from under the bumper because the mount in the horizontal direction.

I'm hoping the genuine Honda one mounts vertically as in the video so when it is removed there is virtually nothing on show.

Does that make sense??

Attached Files:

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    When mine us removed, all that is visible is the front of the small 13 to 7 pin adaptor. If that wasn't fitted I don't think you would see anything. Mine's got the black plastic shield under the bumper which makes the adaptor even less noticeable.

Keith

6. mr_veedubberman New Member Getting Started

Keith,
    Any chance of a picture of the back of your CR-V with the tow bar removed?
    Cheers
    Tony

7. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Tony.

As requested - see attached.

The 1st one is a general view of the back of the car if you were standing a few feet behind it. The 2nd one is a bit closer with the flash on the camera on and the third one is a close up of the outlet with the camera flash on. I think you will agree it is not particularly noticeable to the casual observer. You actually have to look for it to notice it and as I mentioned earlier, if the adapter wasn't fitted it would be even less noticeable.

In an earlier thread on towbars, I mentioned that when my towbar is connected to a trailer, it doesn't cancel the rear proximity alarms automatically, as I believe it should and i wondered if it was because I am using the 13 to 7 pin adapter. If you do fit a tow bar with a 13 pin plug, I'd be interested to know if it does undertake the automatic cancellation or not.

Attached Files:

8. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi, I have the vertical mount on my 15 plate. you can still see the mount if you look for it, but not as unsightly as the horizontal mount. Also the attachment plug for the electrics swings up behind bumper when not in use, I had it done by the company that fits them for the dealer in my area. Saved £100. :clap:

9. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Do you have any experience of whether or not the rear proximity alarms cancel automatically with the tow bar fitted?

Keith

10. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, the Towbar 'fitting' doesn't affect the normal use of the Reversing Sensors, I'm not sure if when you plug Trailer lights in they get isolated (like Volvo), but you can switch them 'OFF' using switch at Right Knee panel. The fit I bought included the correct harness interface, it connects to the loom behind the right rear trim panel.

11. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks - that's the reason I asked. On my Yeti, when a trailer was connected, it automatically set the car up in several ways, one of which was to cancel the rear proximity alarms and I am trying to find out if the CR-V does something similar. There just doesn't seem to be that much trailer use (and therefore associated knowledge) among the CR-V owning community.

The point about manually switching the alarms off is that it also disables the front ones as well.

Oh well, I'll just have to keep searching but I'm beginning to suspect (unexpectedly) that Honda just isn't as sophisticated in this area as other manufacturers.

Keith

12. mr_veedubberman New Member Getting Started

Thanks Keith, those pictures were exactly what I was after.

Looking to get it booked in next week to have the towbar fitted, just waiting to find out if the retractable one is an option and how much more it is over a removable one.

Tony

13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Keith, I have been researching this issue as I need a towbar fitting to my CR-V and want a detachable flange type so I can bolt on a bike carrier. On my 2013 MY SE I can apparently switch off JUST the rear sensors by following a procedure in the bible, sorry, handbook on page 347.

14. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Pete. Thanks for that (it's on P.348 in my manual). Given the amount of searching I've done, I don't know how I missed it, even though there's a pretty obvious clue in the title of the section, i.e. "Parking Sensor System

Seems a bit of a rigmarole, though. The Skoda system where it all happens automatically, along with setting up the suspension and a few other things, when a trailer is attached seems much better and more advanced.

I have actually written to Honda about this and when I receive a reply, I'll update the thread.

Once again, thanks.

Keith

15. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Well, rather timely, I've just received a reply from Honda UK (Head Office Technical Department) on the parking sensor/trailer issue and it reads thus: "the customer needs to use the off switch in the car. Yes this will switch off the fronts as well"

Where do I start with this as it is obviously so wrong on several levels. I would make the following obvious observations:

1. If that came from their Technical Department, then I suggest we can't trust them on anything.
    2. How can they go into print making a statement that totally contradicts what we now know, thanks to FR-V, is published in the relevant handbook and what (presumably because I haven't checked it works yet) is possible on the car.
    3. If the Honda "Technical Department" know so little about their own product, where can we go for a definitive answer to technical questions.
    4. The fact that in respect of towbar installations, if nothing else, Honda are a long way behind other manufacturers, JLR, VAG, etc.

Still at least I know where I stand now.

Keith

16. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Non of this surprises me.
    I contacted Honda UK about the alarm on the FR-V going off randomly when the temperature went below zero. A known fault and subject to an extended warranty for a fix. My car was already 6 years old when I got her and had been housed in a garage all her life so presumably the problem had never occurred (although it would explain the graffiti scratched on the tailgate!).
    Honda's answer- never heard of such a problem sir! Denied all knowledge, and when pressed for a solution told me to park it in a heated garage! Muppet!
    I also cannot get a definitive answer on ECU updates when installing dedicated electrics for the towbar on the CR-V, some say you need one, others say not. ARRRRGH!!

Great cars, shame about the aftercare.

Pete C.

17. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I'm wondering if it is actually worthwhile worrying about fitting an OEM wiring harness for a towbar on a Honda given that as long as all the lights and indicators work, which I'm sure they would with any harness, there doesn't seem to be any further functions that an OEM one would enable over the non-OEM one.

This really surprises me with Honda, one of whose USP's is their (allegedly) advanced engineering. It certainly doesn't extend to their towbar fittings.

18. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    It's the 12 volt feed to the caravan that seems to giving them most aggro, when I fitted my own towbars back in the 70s and 80s you just needed a bucket of Scotchlocks and a split charge relay and you were away.
    No VSA or TSA then though!

19. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I'm not convinced that attaching a trailer/ caravan to the CR-V makes any difference to the VSA/tsa, at least there is no evidence that it does.

Keith

20. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all, when you connect the harness in to the spare connection behind rear left trim panel, it is set up for 12 pin outlet. Mine didn't need Lekky brain update (2015 2.2 I-DTEC).
    FR-V do you mean security alarm, or the low temp warning which you can adjust setting for in iMID.