Aftermarket Kit 6th Generation Accord Floor Mats

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Peter_G, Thursday 3rd Mar, 2016.

1. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can anyone recommend a hard wearing set of carpet floor mats for my Accord. I don't want rubber backed as the rubber always rots and becomes detached from the carpet material just like the (c**p quality and very expensive) Honda ones I have at the moment.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Peter_G

Do add your Accord to the club garage, as it helps us to know which exact model and year you have.

Personally, I'd always go for the genuine Honda item if cost isn't a huge issue - they really are excellent quality IMHO. I'm very surprised to see that you aren't a fan, not sure I've ever seen that feedback before.

Don't forget to call Holdcroft Honda to ask how much they can do them for with the club discount too.

There are a few on eBay too.

:goodluck::garage:

Nels and exec like this.
  4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would go for OEM my accord mats have been in the car from day one and are still in good nick 12 years on.

exec and FirstHonda like this.
  5. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

First let me state that this is NOT a 'knock Honda' thread.

At the moment I use my year 2000 1.8i Accord about 4 or five days a week and do under 10,000 miles a year. My wife users our other vehicle during the week to get to and from work and we both use it on weekends for leisure purposes doing around 15,000 miles a year.

I love my Honda, it has it's little idiosyncrasies but overall I would not want to be without it. Around two years ago I wanted to get a new set of mats for the Honda and also my other vehicle, so assuming they would be the best I chose official mats from the respective car manufacturer. I purchased these two sets of mats from the car's main dealership's in my area. The mats have performed very differently over the two years as can be seen below.

This is the top side of both sets of mats:
    IMG_0056.
    This is the under-side of both sets of mats.
    IMG_0058.

This is a close-up of the underside of the Honda mat.
    IMG_0059.

This is a close-up of the underside of the other mat.
    IMG_0060.

Now, I'm not getting into a debate about who makes the best mats, this is why I have not named the manufacturer of the second set of mats but clearly the Honda ones have not performed well over the same period of time. The rubber backing has rotted away which makes the mat very thin and unstable and it bunches up under my feet.

It's clear that long lasting mats can be made it's just that in this case it seems Honda can't.

In the mean time I have found these: They also come in black so I think I am going to give them a try.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That has to be a manufacturing defect of some sort @Peter_G

I've had genuine Honda mats for 50k miles plus, and they were as good as new except for some wear by the accelerator pedal. @MickyB says the same above, and others have said similar on other threads.

However, based on your particular experience I can see where you are coming from.

^^ Unfortunately, this statement is actually an opinion based on a sample of one - which has been presented as a fact.

@Ichiban - sure you've had Honda OEM mats for years - have you ever seen anything like that?

MickyB likes this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I still have my genuine mats, i don't use them but they lasted 81k and they still look new! (no drivers side mat tho).

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    still on the topic of mats, I bought some good condition Honda ones but they are a bit faded.. any one ever reconditioned theirs?

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I still have the original mats in mine but I place a small rubber car mat on top, the ones you can buy for a couple of quid from supermarkets. Keeps the wear off, the wet (snow) and muck and you forget they are there as they quite flimsy but relatively hard wearing.

Tesco Basics Rubber Car Mat - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have a set of beige genuine ones for my Accord and appart from being dirty and in need of a clean they are as good as new, I've had them over a year and they are certainly not as bad as the ones you have had.