Electrical & Lights 6th Generation Alternator clamp bolt stuck

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by welland99, Friday 27th Dec, 2013.

1. welland99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My alternator belt is a little slack and is thus squealing intermittently. So I had a go at adjusting the tension yesterday, but one of the bolts cannot be loosened. There are three bolts:
    1) The top bolt which makes the hinge. This could be loosened OK.
    2) The adjuster bolt. This is the thin bolt that points for and aft to adjust the tension in the belt. This could be loosened easily.
    3) The clamp bolt to hold the adjusted tension could not be loosened. :Sobbing:Of course, this has to be the most awkward of the three doesn't it - tucked away nicely underneath the alternator and in close proximity to the belt - so working space is tight.

Has anybody got any tips - solved the same problem?

And when it does come off (It WILL come off somehow), it would be good to replace the nut with a new one. Is this the sort of thing a dealer would supply (cheaply?)

2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Can you get any penetrating oil on it? Obviously be careful with the application as you don't want it on the belts or dripping into the alternator.

You might be able to get a price from the forum affiliate Holdcroft Honda. Here is a diagram from Lings that might be useful

Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

E__0601.

Items 12 & 19 (or 13 &11 which aren't listed)?

1PFKL265702STIFFENER, ENGINE£143.83(€163.97)($230.13)001Add Wish List
    3PFKL462160BRACKET, ALTERNATOR£49.97(€56.97)($79.95)001- Contact Us --
    5PFKL462399PLATE, ADJUSTER£4.75(€5.42)($7.60)001Add Wish List
    10PFKL978003BOLT, FLANGE, 12X70£5.53(€6.30)($8.85)003Add Wish List
    12PFKL990249BOLT, SPECIAL, 8MM£5.76(€6.57)($9.22)001Add Wish List
    14PFKL990302BOLT, ADJUSTER SPECIAL£3.70(€4.22)($5.92)001Add Wish List
    16PFKL990367BOLT, SPECIAL, 10X90£5.70(€6.50)($9.12)001Add Wish List
    17PFKL1028631BOLT, FLANGE, 10X35£1.37(€1.56)($2.19)001Add Wish List
    18PFKL1021328NUT, FLANGE, 6MM£0.96(€1.09)($1.54)001Add Wish List
    19PFKL1021341NUT, FLANGE, 8MM£1.60(€1.82)($2.56)001Add Wish List

3. welland99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. Regarding lubrication, the best i could do was to direct the drinking straw that way from my WD40. I'll also see if I can get my heat gun in there to try to warm the nut a little (being careful not to melt the belt!)

If that fails, I'll take it back to the garage that fitted the belt last year. My guess is that the nut is not seized, just very tight. This belt was replaced by the local indy garage when they did the cam belt.

The nut is item 19 on the diagram.

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Are you using a ratchet or breaker bar to undo the nut/bolt?

Without trying to tell you how to suck eggs, remember if you double the length of the tool you double its effective power. If my 12" ratchet is struggling, my 18" breaker bar comes out and when that struggles my trolley jack handle 24/48" slips over it. You usually have less chance of rounding with a 6-sided hex socket as opposed to the seemingly more common 12 sided bi-hex.

Heat is superb if you can be precise enough, but as I said don't forget the law of the lever (leverage).

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. welland99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All good advice, Thanks. Trouble is that there's little space for a longer bar. In fact at present, The nut is beginning to round even when i use a ring spanner (so no need for longer leverage).

I'll see if i have another (deep) socket with a hex shape inside. When I looked yesterday, my shortest extension bar (2") was too long, but no extension bar was too short. AArgh..

6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hopefully you can get in with your deep socket.

Some folk won't recommend WD40 as a penetrating oil. I use Plus Gas (tin and spout) from Amazon and 3-in-One Penetrating aerosol from Halfords. To be honest I'm no where geeky enough to test and compare so won't say either way - just remember and give it sometime to work, 15-30mins could be good.

Keep a rag or tissues in hand to catch any overspill/spray.

7. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

looking at the bolt on the picture it must be accessible with the right spanner and if it don't turn shear it of and replace it :Hey:

8. welland99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes and no. The nut can be accessed with a spanner, but the bolt does not have a head to fit a spanner - it's sort of oval and drilled and tapped for the adjuster bolt (item 14)

Ahem, yes, but how (this is the essence of the problem):Unknown:

9. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

so would using the adjuster bolt in place not allow you to loosen the nut first then the adjuster bolt ? looks the way to go :Hey:

10. welland99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Still not really sure what you mean. Clamp nut 19 needs to be loosened before adjuster bolt 14 can be adjusted.

11. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

the way I am looking at it is, if the first thing you do when all others nuts are tight is loosen nut 19 as it should be held by other bolts. it should then be easy enough to then release the others as you did before or am I missing something ? :Hey:

12. welland99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Umm, I think you might be missing something. The procedure should be:
    1) loosen nut 19 and bolt 16 (doesn't make any difference which order)
    2) adjust bolt 14 to set belt tension.
    3) tighten nut 19 and bolt 14 (in any order)

(but problem is now solved - see next post)

- - - Updated - - -

OK problem now solved. I had a go again this afternoon just after a drive, so the engine bay was all warm (don't know if this made any difference).

1) liberal spray of WD40 on nut 19
    2) Discovered that it is actually a 12mm nut (not 13 as I had thought). This explains why the 13mm spanner was slipping. But it was difficult to get a 12mm socket on, as it needed a little bit of hammering (which is why i thought it was 13mm in the beginning)
    3) Tried numerous combinations of spanner, socket, ratchet, T-bar with / without extension bar to find something that could be used in the tight space.
    4) Heeeeaaaaaaave.
    5) It moved.:Hooray:

So, belt is now a little bit tighter, and seems quiet now. I'll monitor it.......

AndyB1976 likes this.
  13. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I had a feeling there must have been something overlooked as its normally such an easy fix but its good to get there in the end :GoodJob: