Electrical & Lights 6th Generation- Headlamp glass ( polycarbonate) has gone cloudy

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Paul Nichols, Sunday 10th Jun, 2012.

1. I have owned my 1.8 SE from new in September 2000, and it has been the best & most reliable car I have ever owned. It has now has done 97,000 miles with no major issues.
    However over the past 18 months the headlamp assembly glass ( plastic) has gone cloudy and was given a warning notice at the last MOT test. Is it possible to polish this out or will I need to replace the whole assembly at some horrendous cost ? Any ideas & suggestions would be much appreciated :Aghast:

2. alvinaccord Member

bolton
    read my thread dude, did my headlights fairly easy, sand and polish :Smile:

http://hondakarma.com/threads/1458/

the drill buffer thing was £5.00 off ebay, you can buy proper kits depending on budget.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    Ichiban likes this.
  3. Davsurfa Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Arm and Hammer toothpaste works wonders too!!

4. navaccord1.8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey - I would recommend 3M Headlight Restoration Kit (i got it from amazon for 19.99)

Its really good! it comes with the drill pad thing and some sand papers. then a sachet of polish that you use to buff the plastic after its been sanded down.

to be honest my headlights weren't that bad - but my brother also has an accord like mine and his headlights were much worse!

This kit had enough polish in it to do both of our cars!

5. nemiers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland
    Quite old post.
    But if anyone wants to polish their headlamps its pretty easy, just takes time and patience.

Mine were also scratched - previous owner had crash, so I used wet sandpaper, depending how deep are the scars,
    go over with sandpaper finishing with 2000 grid, then with some soft drill bit and polishing paste get them perfect.
    I used some polishing paste for paint, special for plastic could be better, but still results are ok for me.
    Here are before and after pics:

IMG_0835_zpsf2b6406d.

IMG_0838_zpsc1095af4.

6. HIRO1995 New Member Getting Started

Hi have its best to replace them you tried part exchange.co.uk as they have selected of Honda breakers and occasionally these lamp units come up for sale, or try ebay. I have several replacement parts for my Honda accord aerodeck in reasonably good condition and fair realistic price.

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 5th Feb, 2013
  7. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Hardly worth replacing headlights for a 10 minute cleanup job...

8. UnbelievableJeff New Member Getting Started

Headlight lens issue!!

Anyone breaking a 6th Generation, I need a couple of headlights as mine have de-oxidized on the inside.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Headlight lens issue!!

Thread moved if you have cloudy headlights

10. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cleaned mine up using 1200 wet and dry, then t cut, followed by Auto Glym Super Resin Polish. Crystal clear now - makes the car look so much better.

11. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have the same problem :-( I think the key is to use the drill attachment that has been mentioned any effort by hand is not good enough. I have seen some headlights on amazon in the US for 68 dollars which Is really cheap for a pair but im not sure if they meet uk road regulations ??

12. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The us headlights are no use, as the us accord is completely different (except 2 door) they would dip the wrong way, too.

13. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I thought there would be issues with them ! Shame at 68 dollars a pair that's quite cheap

14. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Sorry to say but if it's external clouding you're not applying enough elbow grease! Start with some heavier grit paper then work down to lower. Or grab a 3M headlight restoration kit from eBay.

15. takeslousyphotos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Arm & Hammer toothpaste ??? ......... Go on share it.

Peter

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Me too happygaze.

17. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Assume as it's quite an aggressive whitening toothpaste - i.e. abrasive. The daft thing is, T-Cut or other cutting compounds are almost certainly cheaper.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It was then best not use it on your teeth LOL

19. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    "Some say that he uses T-Cut for toothpaste. We just know him as The Stig!"

20. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine were not great when I bought my car, but attackung with 600, then 1200 grit wet and dry, followed by t cut, then auto glym super resin polish have got them crystal-clear