Electrical & Lights 6th Generation ignition barrel

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by leeschof, Sunday 18th Mar, 2012.

1. leeschof Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The key will not turn in the ignition,it has been fine previously and then suddenly this happened.I tried the spare key thinking the key maybe work but still won't turn.
    I assume the barrel is at fault.
    If this is the case can just a barrel be fitted and will the new key need coding to the car or not?
    Thanks

I replaced the ignition housing last week due to the old stuck key problem.I replaced the whole thing and the immobilizer from a scrapped one.Now the new key is not recognised by the car,green light flashing.
    Does the ECU need reprogramming even though the key and immobilizer are matched?
    thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The key and the immobiliser do have the keyless transmitter codes that's why its flashing green on the dash,

There is a input procedure for the key to learn the codes, best taking it to a Honda dealer who will go through the steps.

3. leeschof Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The new key and imob unit are from the same donor car,so the imob unit should in theory already recognise the key.
    Does the ECU need to be re configured in any way as i can get the ECU from the donor car also as it is exactly the same model,which i would hope would fix the problem.
    The problem is i can't move the car and we are a long way from a dealer
    thanks for your help

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I see what you mean do you have a code reader ? can you check if DTC P1607 is stored on the ECU?

EDIT can you give me your chassis code for your Honda accord and year and which year car did you pull the donor parts from?

5. leeschof Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

my VIN SHHCG9680XU00XXXX
    donor VIN SHHCG9670YU0XXXXX
    i can obtain ECU from donor car or the whole lot from a 1998 accord 2.0 auto like my car.

Sorry no code reader.
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 27th Mar, 2012
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will need a code reader to ascertain if DTC P1607 is store on the ECU on chassis SHHCG9680 that code is a fatal code which means the ECU has failed and you can only replace it .

If you can get the ECU from SHHCG9670 and replace and see if that makes the difference, without a code reader it makes things slight difficult.

7. leeschof Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks,i will try the ECU from the donor and hope that that cures the problem.
    is it normal for the ECU to need recoding when the ignition key/system is replaced?
    i thought the imob black box read the key chip not the ECU.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have never owned a 6th Generation and am making comparisons from an equivalent Swindon Civic.

In theory the 6th Generation Accord key has built in transponder, the immobiliser system that will disable the car unless the original/proper ignition key is used. The 6th Generation Accord ignition system consists of a transponder, an immobiliser unit, an indicator light and ECU/PCM.

The immobiliser unit in encased in the ignition barrel ,when the key is inserted in the ignition switch and turned and set to position two , the immobilizer unit sends power to the transponder.The transponder then sends a coded signal back to the immobilizer unit. The immobilizer unit in turn signals the ECU/PCM.
    if the original/proper key has been used, the immobilizer indicator light will come on for about 2 seconds, then go off

Now can you confirm the below regarding the blinking lights ?

If the wrong key has been used whose code was not received or recognised by the unit, the indicator light will come on for about 2 seconds, then it will go on blinking until the ignition switch turned Off.

If the ignition switch is turned OFF, the indicator will blink for about 5 seconds to signal that the unit has been set correctly, then the indicator will go off.

if that the case then its a Honda dealer job.

9. leeschof Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok,the green light will blink constantly when the key is turned to pos II.
    When turned off the light goes straight off.

10. leeschof Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Do you happen to know where the main ECU is located?
    i have got the ECU from the donor car i am going to try that
    thanks

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry to point out the obvious if you have removed the ECU from a donor car its surely the same place in the car with the issue?

But the round about location is the passenger side below the glove box in between the centre console. Look for the DLC you will find it.

12. leeschof Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks..I did not remove the ECU from the donor it was posted to me.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    ok no worries bud it makes sense now...let me know how you get along.:Wink:

14. leeschof Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers pal,I've found it,looks a pig to get at

15. leeschof Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Job sorted! so if anyone else needs to replace the ign barrel assy you must also replace/have the ECU recoded too or replace the whole lot from a donor as i have.
    Thanks to Ichiban Honda for your help!

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Brilliant news happy you have sorted it ..:Smile: