Guides 6th Generation - Steering rack removal

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by alg, Thursday 1st Mar, 2012.

1. alg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have removed all bolts, pipes, steering column disconnected and track rod ends dissconnected. How do you extract the steering rack from the car????:Frown:
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello and Welcome to AOC please do take time to Introduce Yourself • Honda Karma section a bit about yourself show us some pictures and even your current dismantling of the rack so far.

You may get a more responses from people if they see what you are upto?
  3. alg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just had a chat with an ex mechanic (Sorry Vehical Technician) and have decided that the next plan of action for removing the steering rack is to remove the cat. With the steering rack pulled all the way though to passenger side and the track rod end removed from drives side, the steering rack should "FALL OUT". The bolts on the cat. nearest the engine are very corroded and I have just renewed the exhaust system from the cat. back, the agreed solution would be to remove the exhaust system from manifold to after cat. Remembering to remove the sensor wiring on the cat (Not sure if this is CO or Lambada sensor?) at the connection at the rear of the engine. Any other thoughts on the matter would be greatly received. I will keep you informed of my progress
  4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Good luck buddy, can't help sorry as I've never done this, but you'll get there.
  5. alg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's the steering rack out now, as described in my last message. There are two sensor electrical connectors, to remove one on cat. sensor and one sensor after the flexi piece on the exhaust. This is one of the worst jobs I have done on a life time of enthusiastic car maintenance. Only left to reassemble everything now but this will be "doddle" compared to the disassembly!:cool:

Hope this helps others in the future.

7th generation looks even worse to remove as front sub frame has to be dopped by over 25mm.
  6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Well done...must be a big relief.
  7. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have you got ramps or a pit for this or done it on the drive?
  8. alg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Paul, This job was done on the drive, with car on axle stands, thats why the job was just finished to-day. Rain stopped play!
  9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well done to you mate. I know how hard it is only with axle stands. I had to strip a starter motor from a Renault 5 in about 3C as I needed the car the following day. Luckily it was dry then!
  10. alg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Paul, your in box is full!
  11. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

12. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

How CJ and Zoran managed the service on Zoran's car on that day in December I will never know.
  13. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

All the credit goes to CJ.I think i was more in the way then helping and asking lot lot of questions but with CJ determination and lots of coffee it was done.