Fuel Efficiency 768 miles and 66.9mpg

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by frv, Friday 5th Jul, 2013.

1. frv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Notts.
    Newbie here but had my FR-V from new - 2006.
    I was wondering what MPG other FR-V owners got.
    I regularly get over 700 miles and 60+MPG but I am a hypermiler (switch off at traffic lights, gentle with the "loud" pedal, etc,)
    Best was 66.9mpg last year and 768 miles on 1 tank :Smile:
    Fuelly

Last edited: Wednesday 14th Aug, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fantastic result ..you can't get that in a Accord .. anyone still think a FR-V is a box and it not aerodynamically efficient.

3. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I am so pleased with the fuel consumption of my CR-V. The trip computer tends to slightly underestimate fuel consumption compared with my calculation when I fill up with the full to full method. Went to the hospital on Tuesday, which is through a town centre with road works and lots of stop starts, and the trip computer indicated 56.7mpg. That is absolutely fantastic. Whether it is due to the stop start feature, or the economic I-DTEC engine, I don't know. I have also been using Shell Nitro diesel.

4. frv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Notts.
    "anyone still think a FR-V is a box and it not aerodynamically efficient."
    :lol: I've got one and I think it is! It's a bit of a brick really so keeping the speed down helps a lot!

Robbie - mine underestimates too. I use an UltraGauge to help me improve my MPG - great little thing, just plugs into OBDII port.
    Well done on that result in those conditions!
    Do you rate the Nitro then?

5. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Following lots of info regarding T2, I also added 300ml to the tank when I filled up, but I think it's the Shell nitro that improved the MPG. Last fill up was the first time that I used it, but I shall have a better idea when I next fill up. My previous average consumption was a shade over 41mpg.

6. frv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Notts.
    OK cheers. I think my next fill will be Tosco as I've a 5p off but I'm waiting for £20 of Shell fuel vouchers to come (some special deal that was on a bit back - cost £10) so I'll give it a go then!

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I run my diesel to Bournemouth and back last weekend, a round trip of approximately 400 miles. On the way there I got caught in traffic going into Bournemouth. On the way back I got caught in traffic for 1/3 of the journey regularly doing less than 40 and stop start driving, then a very spirited journey up the A1. Plus part of the journey each way was around the dreaded M25. On the motorways at no point was I trying to drive economically, as it took 4 hours in each direction as it was, and I was travelling with the flow of the traffic, or a little over it. :Whistle: Plus when I got into Bournemouth I realised I had a squeaking/ binding/ warm-ish front right brake pad, which is tomorrows job to strip and clean.

Despite all these factors I still averaged 53 MPG. On the rare occasion I have tried to hyper mile my car I have seen over 65 MPG, 67.5 MPG on one occassion, and I know I could improve this figure with practice, if I could be bothered that is.

The figures are there to be had in the accord it's just a case of knowing how to read and interpret the instantaneous fuel consumption on the dash display to achieve it. FYI, I'm running it on Shell Fuelsave with added 2T.

And the cherry that topped all this off was that the friends I was visiting though my accord was a petrol because my diesel engine is so quiet. :Thumbup:

Last edited: Wednesday 14th Aug, 2013
  8. colinbos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wow, I've never had anything near those MPG's in my CDTI. I only use Tesco fuel but think ill have to try a tank full of Shell Nitro fuel. What is this T2 stuff your adding to it ?

9. frv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Notts.
    I haven't added anything to my tanks (T2 is an additive from T2 Labs I think).

Last 2 tanks have been 761.6 miles @ 64.1mpg and a short fill at 583.1 miles @ 61.6 - up and down steep hills on holiday in Devon dragged it down!

I'm still waiting for my Shell voucher so it been all supermarket diesel since March. I managed to get 30p/litre off at Tesco last month, saved over £16 :Thumbup:

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    2T is two stroke oil. Put about 250 - 300 ml per 50 litres of petrol at each fill up. Semi synthetic is fine there's no need to use the more expensive fully synthetic. Just make sure it complies at the minimum Jaso FB standard but preferably JASO FC or FD.

11. colinbos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah, Thanks.

I've started doing that the last couple of months. Ill try some expensive fuel and a lighter foot and see what that gives me.

Cheers !

12. frv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Notts.
    Ah from me too - that makes more sense - someone had put T2 instead of 2T so I googled it and it just a coincidence there's a fuel additive company in Florida - they had a massive explosion in 2007 apparently!

13. colinbos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

unbelievable!

Those figures are amazing! You must have a foot as light as a feather!!! I don't think I'd ever achieve those in mine!

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are you quite sure about that?

You're part right I guess - you can't get 768 miles from an Accord. You can get: http://hondakarma.com/threads/1786/ :Happy:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I knew this will come and bite me in the derriere , forgot about your mega mileage.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You'll feel even sicker when I get round to revealing the CR-V's full tank range - and its a lot more than 768 miles :Aghast:

17. frv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Notts.
    919 miles is an excellent result - the Accord has a bigger fuel tank at 65 litres compared to FR-V's 58.
    I would expect the Accord to get better MPG as it's somewhat more aerodynamic:Wink: - combined figure is supposed to be 52.3 compared to mine at 44.8.
    Another 7 litres would have got me up to about 870 miles in my brick!

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Also the I-DTEC is more efficient is driven carefully, however if driven spirited mode the I-DTEC is fuel hungry to the I-CTDI.

19. frv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Notts.
    Re: 815.5 miles and 66.8mpg

Latest tank is another record distance for me 815.5 miles on 55.5 litres. 66.8MPG (0.1mpg off my best :Whistle:)
    Fuelly link

Never thought I'd break 800 miles in my brick!

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wow great going buddy brick what brick the aerodynamics are clearly there ..