Exhaust System 7th Generation Accord Exhaust Rattle (Heat Shield/Cat)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 24th Apr, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For a couple for weeks my 7th Generation has developed an annoying rattle when you start the car or in stop and go traffic.

I knew the sound was from the exhaust as it has a distinctive noise. I kneeled down look all the rubber grommet and hangers all were in place banged the silencer with my hand nothing broken internally it has to be the cat I was dreading the twin ceramic monolith have shattered inside and it banging:Aghast: .. I need to get the car on a ramp to confirm what is going on.

I was passing by HH and nipped in just to see our arrangements were in place for our meet and get to the bottom of this issue, we traced the culprit and luckily it not the cat.

The top heat shield to the cat has rusted and the bolt holding the top and bottom heat shield have given way causing the rattling.

photo (1). photo (2). photo (3).

I have never seen this on other tourer even my 2.0 one which is older but this one has rusted due to excessive heat :Wink: These heat shields are pretty substantial they are double skinned and thick. I have ordered the replacement heat shields it a separate part and four bolts which hold it together It is not cheap £90.00 for rattle free car,however I won't recommend anyone removing them as the cat does get really hot and it will melt the top heat shield below the gear shift mechanism causing more damage.

Hope this helps other if you encounter this issue.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Time for update and some insight to the type of convertor. The new catalytic convertor heat shields have been replaced and the annoying rattle is gone.

This is what a new Catalytic Convertor and a used one

New
    AOCUK 7th gen petrol cat New.

Old
    AOCUK 7th gen petrol cat old.

Anyone spot the difference between the two picture? :Smile:

The 7th Generation Accord uses a Shrink type of convertor.The process of manufacture start off by using one large cylindrical tube with the o2 sensor and bung already in place.The two bed of catalyst are inserted carefully making sure the smaller bed is toward the engine and the bigger bed toward the exhaust back boxes. The two end of the beds are welded on with conical caps and their fittings. To prevent the two beds from sliding the mid part is compressed which gives it the name "shrunk catalytic convertor".The amount by which the diameter shrinks is adjusted according to the catalyser diameter and material surface used. The 2.4 Accord uses a higher density catalyst so the 2.0 Accord convertor is smaller and shrunk accordingly.

To give the catalytic convertor and the catalyst a better performance aluminum is used as an undercoat layer for the catalyst at the lowest layer, an accumulation of catalyst components in the corner areas can be eliminated and the catalyst can be coated evenly on the inner wall of each cell. The material filling density is made constant this in turn makes the catalyst cell wall thinner and more efficient.

:Thumbup:

3. wkervick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Hi, I've just had my car back from service this morning and the garage say my cat's heat shield is also corroded and loose which is why there is some rattling to be heard (which I had noticed). They have quoted £220 to supply and fit. Do you mind if I ask where you bought your new shield from and is it a simple job to do once the car is jacked-up and on stands ?
    cheers!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How much to change it!?

I presume your Accord is a Saloon, as the below image is for one.

@wkervick it is a super simple change all you need is two cat shields and four bolts. I bought my parts from Holdcroft Honda and it was 100 odd quid with the bolts.It a simple case of removing the old bolts and covers and refitting the new parts.

There are cover hangers they may need tweaking slightly to get the covers on. see above picture of the new cat you will see the chicken leg type of hangers.

B__0200.

ItemPart NumberDescriptionRetail Price
    5 18181-RBA-010COVER COMP., LOWER£50.89
    618182-RAA-A01COVER COMP., UPPER£50.89
    990023-PR7-A01BOLT, FLANGE, 6X10£6.23

Labour is not more than 10 minutes. Do it yourself with a high lift jack and stands. Just be careful not to stretch the sensor cable on the cat whilst dismantling.

5. wkervick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Brilliant! Thanks for the info ichiban, ill order the parts and get on the case (yes mine is a saloon).
    regards
    wk

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any updates on this bud?