Suspension, Steering and Brakes 7th Generation Accord - other suspension issues

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by SayamaAccord, Saturday 10th Dec, 2011.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Does Adam or anyone else know if there are any other regular suspension issues on the 7th Generation apart from compliance bushes and front & rear a.r.b. links and bushes?

I was wondering in particular about the upper front arms, and the arms and bushes at the rear.

2. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The one thing I know about is the rear camber arms. Which causes the tires to wear irregular.
    This happened on mine and from what I believe Honda make 3 different lengths of camber arm they assess your tyre wear etc then replace with the correct one to resolve the problem.
    I personally went for eibach adjustable arms which to me means that if there is a problem later you can adjust the camber arms to irradicate the problem.
    No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks Micky

I'm fortunate with this one because it only comes up with the pre-facelift models luckily for me.

I suppose the front upper and lower balljoints won't last for ever but it doesn't look like these go prematurely

Compliance bushes and a.b.r. links seem the main things then really.

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the front upper arm ball joints tend to go reularily. more so on the the higher mileage Accords, saloon or tourer. Not yet seen a problem with any of the rear arm bushes etc, thats honda for you. caunt say I've ever seen a broken road spring or failed shocker either! . you could argue the front lower arm ball joints are common but i have only seen it on taxis and we never seem to replace them........well they are taxis after all (very rare you see a taxi at a main dealer). we only tend to fix the things there regular spanner monkey caunt lol. you do get a few however that look after there Accords. a few.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Beefy what is the percentage of the upper ball joint wear when compared between petrol and diesel cars? I would put the diesel car is more prone to upper ball joint wear just because of the the heavier engine.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Interesting that Honda have different part no.s for droplinks for the saloon and the tourer and apparently these are different sizes, 85mm for the saloon and 70mm for the tourer...but some aftermarket suppliers to a one-size-fits-all 7th Generation Accord droplink 80.5mm long.

Front lower arms also have different Honda part no.s for saloon and estate, and even the compliance bushes.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    thats why you should always buy genuine parts. the saying you get what you pay for rings true here.
    regards the percentage of wear between petrol and diesel i would be tempted to say the petrols are easyer on the suspention. this would simply be the differance in weight and not forgetting the extra torque etc putting that bit more stress on everything. its one of those things with cars that you caunt put a mileage or date on somthing wearing out. that is why a propper multipoint check/service is essentual at leist once a year. if i tell you your compliance bushes will require replacing next year it gives you 12 months to save up. where as if these things arnt spotted early doors, you can be hit with a massive bill in the future.
    prime example is an 06 Civic diesel i worked on last week. it had done 127,000 miles and came in for an engine light. he had no service history, exhaust manifold was cracked soooooo bad i couldn't sit in the car without the windows open. warranty is upto 125,000 miles. if he had his car serviced at honda we would have spotted the manifold crack and perhapse even with no service history replaced the manifold while under warranty.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keep your Honda a Honda by using Genuine Honda Car Parts, and yes i do have share in Honda Motor corp. Joking aside Honda Genuine parts work all the time every time when you have don't the cost benefit analysis and parts life , the parts integrity, safety and longevity.

The saving are not saving after all.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I found that out when the front drop links were changed on the Helen car around 90 k miles the tourer has shorter one compared to the saloon , you may have got the measurements wrong fella.

Another caveat different side drop links are denoted by different colours they are not one size fits all.