Guides 7th Generation Accord Valve Clearances Petrol

Accord 03-06 i-VTEC

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Last edited by a moderator: Monday 13th Oct, 2014
    boardi53, Ichiban and Jerry like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Helen car is coming up to major service I will type up my findings too.I doubt they will be out of spec thou.

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Great write up Cliff. I adjusted mine on my Deauville bike that I had and got it wrong to start with, sounded horrible. A bit more searching and second attempt and a different bike. I luckily didn't have 16 though!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I did the valve clearances on my 2.4 Accord only this weekend, it's sounds real quiet now and it's seems to be more lively too. :Happy:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The thing to watch out for, is the angle at which you put the feeler gauge in. If you go in from the front with the feeler gauge (inline with the cam follower) it will feel tight but thats partly due to the fact that the feeler gauge is angled. You need to come from the side and ensure that the feeler gauge is as flat as possible. So what felt tight from the front will now be totally loose coming from the side.

Does that make sense ?

Ichiban likes this.
  6. boardi53 New Member Getting Started

tappet clearance

2007 accord tourer 2.4l VTEC tappet gaps inlet exhaust I want to check them.thanks

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: tappet clearance

Hi and welcome search for this topic on here it is already discussed and there is a detailed DIY for this.

8. boardi53 New Member Getting Started

sorry Ichiban an OAP here not used to forum procedures

- - - Updated - - -

Hi 7th Generation 2.4l accord

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi and welcome to AOC
    Please visit Introduce yourself section and tell us a bit about yourself and your car.
    There is search function in top right corner,just search for any questions you might have.If you get stuck ask away,someone is always here to help or point you in right direction.
    Here is a link for valve clearance
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/131/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Boardi, make sure you only do the valve clearances with the engine stone cold.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Could I ask if these are cold or hot engine clearances?

Ah, answered already:

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

I remember taking my 2000 Honda Accord in to a mechanics to get the tappets done and it came back sounding like a taxi! Took it back three times but he couldn't get it quiet. Ended up getting my uncle to do it and he said an old trick is to make sure they are all on the rock and that way you should be able to get it spot on and he did - it was purring nicely afterward. Not 100% sure what that means though lol

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's not terminology I've heard before but I think your uncle meant make sure your at absolute top dead centre (TDC), on the K series engines this is easy. On the end of the camshafts (gearbox side), the camshaft position sprockets have markings on them, line these up and you know your exactly spot on TDC.

Also note the following point that I made in the other thread

14. Richardp2020 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Uk
    How hard is this compared to say filter and fluid changes? Just from reading it doesn't seem too bad, more time consuming than anything. Is it really simply a case of removing engine covers, loosing lock nuts and adjusting the screws to the width of the appropriate feeler gauge? I'm guessing there isn't a lot you can really **** up then is there, as long as you take your time and follow the procedure properly. My local Honda dealer wants £85 to do this :Frown:

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It's pretty straight forward Richard, as long as you understand what top dead centre (TDC) is and how to find it for each cylinder.
    Also may sure you understand the firing order 1-3-4-2.

If you understand these concepts then it's just a case of finding TDC on each cylinder, checking with feeler guage and making the appropriate adjustments.

If you misunderstand these two concepts and say you start making adjustments on the suction stroke, then things will get screwed up, car may not start or worst case you may inflict some damage to your engine.

So in my opinion it's not just a case of being able to hold a spanner, it's more about if you understand exactley what it is your doing.

Ichiban and Richardp2020 like this.
  16. Richardp2020 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Uk
    The original post was excellent at describing the procedure I thought, cylinder order is 1342 and timing mark will be at 9,12,3 and 6 o'clock respectively. It's certainly worth having a look at least, for what a set of feeler gauges cost.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

Cheers, good to know about the markings. Whilst we are on the subject of tappets, my engine makes a ticking sound which does sound a little like tappets needing adjusted. It's far more obvious with the engine hood open, however, could the ticking sound just be the injectors?

(I wish there was somewhere that told you all about the Accord 7th Generation, i.e. type of injection system, suspension setup etc)

Last edited: Monday 15th Apr, 2013
  18. johnny 5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just to add, this can be done without jacking the car up, just turn the wheels full lock to the right and you should be able to access the crank bolt easily to turn the cylinders. The hardest part i found out of it all was getting the rocker cover off/on with that hefty not really flexible A/C pipe in the way and on the same side as the cam gears lol!

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Had a good day today, my uncle taught me how to do valve clearances using the "on the rock" method so if it's a car without the helpful markings (which mine has fortunately) I should still be able to do it. Almost all of my valves needed adjusting so it was defnitely worth doing. There's a few extra things that I guess could be mentioned etc for anyone trying this for the first time so they don't get caught out like me! lol I only managed a few photographs though and as there's already a DIY on this then there's probably no point in doing another one.

Cheers! :Smile:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  20. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice one.
    I need to beg somebody to teach me how to do valve clearance plus i think my car is due as it getting louder then my old oil burner Accord lol.
    Do tell what to look out for.