Suspension, Steering and Brakes 7th Generation Honda Accord 2.0 Brake Upgrade

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 17th Oct, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This upgrade was done on my old 7th Generation 2.0 Tourer with superb results. it’s a tried and tested mod which will addresses the poor standard braking seen on the 2 litre 7th Generation Accord CL7 & CM1.The standard brakes on the 7th Generation 2.0 litre Accord are sufficient for city traffic but with a fully laden car at sustained high speed cruise the 280mm front brake discs exhibit massive fad and poor brake pedal feel. The brakes where nowhere close to be called reassuring and surefooted, it made the driver really nervous.

This original mod was pioneered by Gerry at Performancetek,Glasgow.He first showed this mod to other Accord owners a few years ago and soon it was the best mod for petrol and diesel accord owners ever since. The diesel owners had biggest tangible benefits which made the front end heavy accord to stop more predictably and give a strong hard pedal feel. A big thanks goes to him

The Standard set up from factory.

The 2.0 7th Generation Accord were factory fitted with 280 mm front disc where the 2.4 and 2.2 Accord were fitted with the 300mm discs. The 2.4 with the 300mm disc and single piston caliper is still a very good set up and works really well even at sustained heavy braking but there was room for improvement. However the same set up found the 2.2 diesel was pretty poor the excessive front end weight made the autobahn cruises a scary experience and with diesel remaps were in demand in the early 2007 -2010 you had to have these calipers. The front calipers for the 7th gen were made by ATE a German firm with the 2.0 Accord caliper being a smaller version of the one seen on the 2.4 petrol and 2.2 diesel Accords.

The Accord Type-R Caliper

The ATR salvage market for these caliper went through the roof ,you could pick up a set of serviceable caliper and carriers for low as £55 and when this mods went viral you could not find a caliper less than £180. Majority of these calipers did need new pistons, seals and other consumables to ensure they were perfect condition. The less you paid for the caliper the more you could spend on the refurbishment. The ATR caliper is a dual piston set up and made by Nissin Japan.

The standard brakes on a 2.0 Accord removed.

This is what the caliper and carriers looked like when they were removed from the car. Note the heavy corrosion; this is partly my fault for using acidic alloy wheel cleaners which eroded the coating from the calipers. My advice stop using acidic wheel cleaner’s full stop, they are nasty. You need to buy two new 300MM disc and a set of ATR front pads,I chose OEM as they are sufficient for my needs and find them better than aftermarket set-ups.

DSC00308. DSC00307.
    DSC00305. DSC00303. DSC00306. DSC00304.

The ATR calipers sourced from breaker yard
    A pair sourced at 50 pounds, from the red paint it would be from another enthusiasts car, all slider were jammed and seized clearly left out in the open for the elements to attack it.On stripping all pistons were corrodes internally and externally seals were fine but showing signs of perishing.

Slider were beyond recovery all new slider and slider piston boots, all bolts were changed with new one,the rattle clips where reused after a through clean.

Before

P1010029-1. P1010030. P1010031. P1010032.

After

Professionally refurbished to look like OEM less of the wannbe racer.

DSC00020. DSC00019. DSC00017. DSC00016. DSC00015.

Fitted on the car

PA300016.

Results

Guaranteed sure footed braking the minute you hit the brake pedal you get a bigger bite and you see improvement on braking force, slight down side the pedal can be spongy on standard brakes disc and pads you may want to go aftermarket.

2. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Beautiful job mate!!! :GoodJob:

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks bud, are you going to go for it?

4. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    I'll consider this later in a future, when brakes service will be due. Thanks!

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The day you do it, you will be saying why I didn't do this earlier the best money spent on any 7th Generation in my opinion.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm after a pair of ATR calipers to put on CL9 .. if anyone comes across a pair, let me know. Cheers

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Speedster I would recommend getting the dual piston calipers from the 8th Generation 2.4 or Type-S the discs are massive and you will get awesome stopping power .
    My 8th Generation Tourer rear discs are bigger than my 7th Generation..:Smile:

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I would love to have them but I think they would just cost a lot more.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You got me pondering the 8th Generation discs/calipers now !! What you like CJ ! Lol

So are we certain that they would fit the CL9 ?