Introductions 7th Generation Type-S owner. Hello all!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BB Baboonface, Tuesday 17th Nov, 2015.

1. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Hi there folks,

Just stumbled upon the progress thread of an HK member who is also an EV1 owner, and witnessed his epic track day vid too! :Smile:

Been driving a Type-S since late 2012. Last year i swapped the first for another.
    The first one was in Cosmic grey and stayed pretty much standard:

05092013521 No Plates. 05092013522 No Plates. 05092013524. 05092013527No Plates.

The second car is actually older, but there was a reason behind the swap.
    Here are pics from the day she arrived home:

P1020590_zps87bc92b2.
    P1020591_zpsd043e44b.

Will maybe get on and put up a progress thread if you would like gory details, but after false starts with finding someone to do the work for me, some tools were purchased and things have gone from there...

Currently on some cheapo 17" wheels and Meister R coilovers with some Buddyclub RCA's for good measure.

Plenty of plans but here is a quick before and after comparison shot from recently:

2015%20Results%20so%20far%20_zpszthtlgfv.

And as things stand generally:

P1030187_zpspvpztkjy.

Apologies for the pic heavy introduction, hope you guys don't mind.
    Very much a work in progress so may flesh things out detail wise with a proper thread at some point.

Cheers!

James

MickyB and RogerH69 like this.
  2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    hi, welcome to the forum :Smile:

:welcome:

BB Baboonface likes this.
  3. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks Chris!

Have to llok at your FR-V in more detail, looks very tidy.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello and Welcome to HK James.. I wonder what was the reason behind the swap? :Grin:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi James, welcome to Honda Karma :Hey:

Good to see another well kept EV1 on the forum.

Would love to see you do a full Project Log on her :Grin:

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hello James, and :welcome: to HK.
    Great to have another member who looks after their Honda!:Hey:

7. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

Thank you for the warm welcome :Smile: (Damn! so many cool smilies, that one will have to suffice for now lol.)

Must have a look around and start knocking a thread together.

No wish to keep you in the dark here, the older car does not have VSA or a drive by wire throttle body, much simpler for adding something like K-Pro. Shame funds are a bit tight at the moment...:Frown:

RogerH69 and legend-ary like this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ohh I like your thinking.

K20A3 ... that's 9.8:1 compression IIRC ... perfect for Turbo :jumpup:
    (not to put any ideas in your head or anything :Whistle:)

We know that feeling well :Laughing:

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Welcome James. Look forward to following your car. Your previous EV1 looks like my girl's twin :Smile:

I can understand about you changing for a non VSA model.

10. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Heheh! Right on the compression figures being good for forced induction. Also suits the 5 speed gearbox according to some.
    A twin screw supercharger would be nice, more "fit and forget" than a turbo, and mad torque from way down low.
    As i'm sure you know cost is high for FI setups, and not really a driveway mechanics mod unless one is also a street tuning guru!

Not sure the aged and weedy 'A3 internals would hold up for long either, so if anything a K24 swap is the most likely bet.
    Loooong way off yet though *sigh!*

Cheers Roger, really glad to find your thread, and thanks for the invite. This place looks awesome :OTT:
    Uncanny how similar our grey EV's are/were. Yours is much better kept though, the EP3 wheels look rather swell, plus all the other funky mods you have besides.

Guess there are pro's and con's to non VSA models. There is no cruise control, and the drive by wire seems to mange fuel a little better (maybe that's just my leaden foot!)
    On the plus side, the cable throttle is a little quicker to react, and the tuning potential is much easier to exploit.

It may be possible to tune a VSA Type-S using some recent standalone engine management systems or a dual ECU K-Pro setup, but not without both some hefty cash and compromises.

RogerH69 likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I wonder how similar the wiring loom is compared to the EP3. Would complete swap with K20A2, loom and ECU be straightforward?

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I would like a slightly more responsive throttle to be honest, but I love the way my car drives, and cruise control is a nice addition when on the motorway. Cash is very tight, so no expensive upgrades for me either.

I'll probably keep my car as is, and then get another as a weekend car / track day car. Already got dibs on a mate's Prelude for this purpose :Smile: The Prelude is also pretty much ready to go, so the only thing to be done would be slight tweaks for track use, some new tyres, pads and take out a lot of the interior. Now if i just had somewhere to store it / work on it....
    - - - Updated - - -
    @Ichiban look, your favorite.... mud flaps :Smile:

P1030187_zpspvpztkjy.

Ichiban and BB Baboonface like this.
  13. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Feel like a massive big head coming in as a noob and saying all this :Blushing: but for a non VSA a K20A2 swap is pretty much an in and out affair.
    The main issues are the fact that the Type-S has a factory wideband o2 sensor which the EDM EP3 does not, so to run it a US ECU is really the best option (JDM will work, but no immobiliser etc.)
    The loom in the Type-S works fine IIRC and lets you use the wideband, but to run a 6 speed box you need a 6 speed ECU, and also ideally to add wiring for the reverse gear lockout solenoid.

The VSA model on the other hand is hardly a Civic at all when it comes to wiring, oddly enough it shares much more similarity with a CL9 Accord, but with enough differences to cause headaches!

Sorry to spout all this hot air about, certainly not an expert in all this but spent a while reading up and looking for solutions.

legend-ary and RogerH69 like this.
  14. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to:gohonda:KARMA

Last edited: Tuesday 17th Nov, 2015
  15. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Uh oh! Already seen Ichiban's loathing for mud flaps, in for a grilling then! lol!

Can entirely understand your reasoning Roger, less need for compromise with a track toy, and as you say, the EV1 is great in standard form.
    With you on having somewhere to dedicate to car stuff, fingers crossed you find a suitable spot...
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hey there Micky, many thanks for the welcome bud :Smile:

FirstHonda, RogerH69 and MickyB like this.
  16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Can't believe I missed your intro thread @BB Baboonface but a belated welcome to HondaKarma :welcome:

17. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hey no worries, appreciate the welcome belated or otherwise :Smile:

Been AWOL a bit of late, smelly work, and the little one has a well known blocky computer game which seems to be taking up lots of both our time :help: lol!