Tyres & Wheels 7th Generation Wheel Sizes - Winter Tyres?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Pete R, Thursday 18th Oct, 2012.

1. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Hi all.

It's time to look into winter tyres for my "new" Accord (still waiting to pick it up from dealer) - 7th Generation diesel tourer with 17" Pentas.
    I've got a set of 195/65 R15's Conti WinterContact which I used on my Touran (summer tyres are 205/55 R16) - so the same rolling diameter as the 225/45 R17 on the Penta's.

I've been able to establish that the 2.0 petrol had 15" rims, but the diesel has bigger disks so I'm not sure if 15's will actually fit the diesel. Can anybody clarify?

Otherwise its new 16" winter tyres (17" winter's are aorund £100 a corner) and a set of 16" rims (plus flogging exisiting winter's as a complete tyre/rim set).

Also does anyone know about any limitations on fitting snow chains? One of the reasons I dropped to 15" rims for winter on the Touran (as well as cost) was the fact that chains won't clear the shocks with 205 section tyres. I guess it's in the manual - but I haven't got my car yet.......

Cheers in advance for any help on these queries, Pete.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Pete ,

Ideally the 15 inch wheel would make a perfect tyre for snowy conditions, but the 15 inch alloy will not fit the diesel as the caliper and disc sizes are larger.

I would also suggest rather than going for winter tyres give autosocks a try get a pair of tatty alloys with good tyres on the front with the socks and you are good to go.

They look naff but do the job.

3. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Many thanks for confirming what I was starting to suspect with regard to the 15" rims.

I'm a great advocate of winter tyres, as they provide vastly superior grip and traction for the whole of Winter, not just on snow. Snow socks are great for a bit of snow, but I prefer the advantages of the winter tyres for the whole season.
    I sometimes drive on the continent and in certain countries, winter tyres are mandatory and in some regions snow chains have to be carried (which I already have). I've also used chains in the Lake District when staying off the beaten track (e.g. a cottage down a 1 in 5 gravel track covered in packed snow).

Cheers, Pete.

4. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Hmm, now that I've got my tourer and scanned the manual - it seems that chains won't go on 17" Penta's with 225/45 tyres as there is not enough clearance. They are ok on 15's and 16's.
    So it would definately be a drop to 16" winter's anyway (far cheaper then 17's anyway) to allow the possibility of chains.

Cheers, Pete.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The gritters have been out all evening today , the first layer of salt has been laid in Leeds already!!

I so hate winters it wrecks our cars, get those alloys layers up with sealant to save them.

6. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Yes, had a frozen windscreen at 8am this morning!
    Job for this weekend is to wax my tourer from top to bottom, with loads on the Pentas until I find a reasonable (and cheap!!) set of 16's for winter tyres.

7. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I would go with some good winter tyres stay clear of the Chinese stuff.
    I have been using Goodyear and they are perfect.
    Snow socks work a treat so long as they ate fully on and you don't boot it or you will loose them.
    I have used the same pair for several years. Need new ones for the accord though as my old Audi ones won't fit. No good on the tarmac though so if you go with the snow socks remember to take them off once on clear roads..

Good luck bud.

8. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Yeah, always go for good tyres - I've a set of Conti Winter Sports in the garage (wrong size off old car), I was referring to cheap/reasonable alloys (combined with decent tyres). I'll flog my old winters off as a complete set to find the new ones.

9. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I have used winter tyres for the last three years ( Snow trac 3) I now have neaw alloys for my summer tyres and are using the standard alloy wheels for the winter tyres. I have being informed that chains are ilegal in Ireland so even if they are legal in your Country check with your Insurance company as well. might be best to get it in writting from them.

10. goldingwebb New Member Getting Started

Hi Guys,

Sorry for pimping. Just thought you might be interested.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Advert removed.- please refer to rules regarding sales.

12. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    I just though I'd add un update.....

I manged to get a set of 16" Enkeis a few weeks ago off Ebay - with Conti winter rubber (5-6mmleft) - for £150. I had to collect from Surrey - so a 4 hour round trip in the snow the other week!!
    I swapped the wheels over for the return trip - and the slush covered A1 was tackled easily.
    The alloys are in good nick with only a bit a flaking at the edges of a couple.

I also managed to get an extra set of Conti winter's for next year with 7-8mm of tread for £140 delivered from an Ebay trader.

Just picked up a 5th Enkei to use as a spare (will use one of the spare Conti's) - so I'm well sorted now!

Pete.

13. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I have used 16" winter wheels and tyres over the last few years. I drive on roads that maybe salted our not. I had Verdestein snowtrac3 but now I have GoodYear ultragrip 7 tyres now. I am happy with my choice.