Engine & Gearbox 8th Generation Accord engine splash guard fix

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 4th Jun, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For all the 8th Generation owners this splash guard has been a nuisance due to the bolts being too tight or plastic shroud broken due to excessive force whilst dismantling. if you don't apply some anti seize grease on the 7 bolts or the Phillips-head screws prior to installation next time round they become an all mighty headache to remove.

For owners doing regular oil change this is way to cumbersome and eventually you will damage the cover and the surrounding shroud.

This is what it look like from the factory the image is from a prefacelift 8th Generation it has the bolts the facelift car has Phillips-head screws. on the outer shroud it has U clamp with a nut welded to hold the bolts. It this outer shroud which take a battering and gets damaged first.

8thGenPetrolOilChange1.

Now I have found a solution have a look at this thread to see the components involved.

DIY\How to service for 8th Generation Accord 2.4 Petrol

The simple fix its to remove the 7 U clamps from the outer shroud put the slash guard and insert the plastic push clips seen holding bumper fender liners and other fittings.

You want the medium height one and not the full height one.

HON-91503-SZ3-003.

This eliminates all bolts and seizing up completely a squirt of WD40 on dismantling and the the pin will pull out easily. However this mod has its cons too, the push clips don't hold the slash guard taught against the shroud there is quite a bit of chatter and movement, but it won't fall off.

But that should not put you off doing this mod. I have done it and it seems to be working really well.

royalblue and AccordCU2 like this.
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice one CJ
    Unfortunately bit late for me because plastic that hold splash guard its broken in few places and will have to buy the lot and replace it.
    Can I buy plastic surroundings separatetely?
    If so can you post part number?
    On second thought might as well buy everything to be on safe side.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    we may to try hot glue mate plastic can be welded back on or you fork out 220 quid for the entire splash guard.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bump for all diesel and petrol owners doing their own oil changes.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    bump to all 8th Generation owners planning to do an oil change, do this simple mod to make your life easier.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have just completed another oil change on my 8th Generation and this simple mod is holding up really well the chatter is still there but it doesn't bother it one bit.

I hope all of you 8th genners do this simple fix as it will save you replacing the outer and the splash guard.

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I've done something similar on my 7th Generation. On the 1st oil change I did the screw on the sump access panel was rusted tight so the U clamp started to spin and cut through the engine splash guard. I had to remove the entire engine splash guard to get to the sump. Once I got the screw to the access panel free, on refitting, I liberally coated the back of the screw and U clamp in copper grease. It hasn't rusted tight since.

It's worth coating all the backs of screws under the car in copper grease to stop any corrosion in case they need to be removed at a later date. It saves a lot of time in the long run.

hondream likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bump to this thread, this simple fix is still going strong and would suggest everyone to try it. It will make your life easier.

9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    where's the best place to get the correct push clips ? (I've looked on ebay in the past and it's a minefield)

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I get mine from HH they are three type , Fender clip, meduim body clip and bumper clip which are larger.

Ebay ones are way cheaper but way nastier they look pretty but they don't work correctly let alone hold anything.