Service & Maintenance 8th Generation Accord handbrake

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by kevb, Thursday 12th Feb, 2015.

1. kevb New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom kev dalton
    Just taken my car for it's 6 month check up. Had to report that I think the handbrake is not working as it should. Service manager says to use the foot brake at the same time and the hand brake just to hold it there. I've had many bangers in my time but they have all had better parking brakes that this. Anyone else think that?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    AccordCU2 likes this.
  3. kevb New Member Getting Started

SM is the Honda dealer where I bought the car. He says it's correctly adjusted.
    I am ok with the spanners but went for a new car this time as I'm getting a bit too old.
    Hand brake will hold at the lights etc but as for a steep hill start? - not good.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't believe him bud he is taking utter garbage.

5. kevb New Member Getting Started

Thx for that. How can I test it? I believe that a pull of 20 kg is all that's needed (without help from footbrake) but how much of a "lock" should that produce?
    I'm not a little old lady but, as an engineer, I don't believe in overstressing cables by yanking on them.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just where you read that below that , count the clicks its the same thing.

Lever locked clicks:
    Rear disc brake type: 6 to 8
    Rear drum in disc brake type: 5 to 7

7. kevb New Member Getting Started

I applied a 20kg load to the lever (using luggage scale) and I got 6 clicks. I didn't realise how hard a 20 kg pull is. My granny could manage 3 maybe.
    I might have a physical check when the weather improves. I think the adjustment is ok.
    I got that 20kg figure elsewhere on this site.