ICE & HFT 8th Generation Accord Scratching or Distortion Noise Coming from Door Speakers

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Saturday 11th Feb, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This issue was pretty much widespread among the first batch or 2008 and 2009 Accords. Honda Issued a TSB for this problem on the 06-11-2008 TSB Number HUK1236

Affected models\years

Accord Saloon CU1, CU2, CU3 only 2009

Accord Tourer CW1, CW2, CW3 only 2009

What are Symptom?

Scratching or distortion noise from any of the door speakers.

What was the cause for this issue?

Interference between the inner side of the speaker voice coil and the field area due to a damaged assembly jig.

The Fix

Honda dealers have been given a sample sound track to play on the affected cars to differentiate if the speakers are faulty or not.Panasonic has made assembly procedure changed to avoid incorrect installation and function test added during production. The Honda dealers will replace the faulty speaker with a new one.

Owners can use the fader function on the audio unit to confirm which speaker is faulty to pin out the offending speaker.

The New Revised Part Number

2. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi IchibanAccord,

Thanks for this info. Sadly my excitement at getting my Accord yesterday was slightly diffused by distorting speakers. I did ask the dealer to check them for me but they missed it.

I've sent them a copy of your post by email, I did go in today to tell them, as far as I can tell the front passenger speaker had certainly gone and I think possibly the rear passenger side parcel shelf one too.

They've already agreed to take it back to sort it out for me (and a cracked front fog lamp lens) but this info will hopefully make it easier for them to sort it out.
  3. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've only had my car for a few days now and I bought it as a Used Approved car from Rowes at Hayle. I had noticed the speakers appeared pretty fried the first time I turned up the music a little and then I came across this thread.
    Both front door speakers now being replaced under warranty. Apparently they're £70 each + fitting.
    Great thread, thanks very much :Smile:
    I have to say I'm really pleased with how Rowes dealt with it too. No quibbles. (No connection).
    Ichiban likes this.
  4. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just to update you my dealer (Leatherhead Honda) took my Accord back in last Friday and replaced the speakers in the passenger doors for me FOC. I now have the banging sound system I was looking forward to, a 10 speaker sound system that sounds excellent.

As G12 I too am very very happy with the way my dealer has looked after me and put right the issues with the speakers, if the service I receive continues in this vain I can see a very long and happy relationship with them.
  5. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

One thing the service manager said to me is that Honda weren't going to pay for the speakers because the car was outside their warranty period. Apparently the dealers will be paying for mine. I find that a bit odd seeing as it was a build issue and the car was Honda used approved.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take with a pinch of salt,nothing called a free lunch. I am happy they are doing it for you, however how I see its an attempt to affirm your custom to that dealer. You are happy with the result which in turn bond that trust relationship and you will go back to them on regular basis, which is not a bad thing.

But hope Honda dealer were more transparent in their dealings when coming to gesture goodwills and not slate their parent company.

In today world trust cannot be bought:Wink:
  7. TobyC Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having just picked up a used 2009 Tourer EX with dodgy speakers from a Honda dealer, with a 'happiness' warranty, I'm delighted to have found this thread. I've already had the front ones changed but this has now shown up the faulty rear ones too. I'll take along a copy of this post to help prove the point!
    Many thanks.
  8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello Toby pop over the introduction section and say hello.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The rear speakers were never affected by this... so printing this TSB will not give you any extra leverage to negotiate replacement rear speakers.

Just bear that in mind, don't expect a open and shut :Unknown:

Please do take the time to introduce yourself and welcome to the club.
  10. TobyC Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK, thank you. The rear speakers are clearly shot so maybe the system was thrashed by the previous owner. I'll tread with caution.
    Many thanks for this feedback.
  11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Both my rear door speakers and front drivers side speakers had blown and were all changed by Honda. There have been a few other members that have had the rears go too so its not just the front speakers that are rubbish. Your best just to change them for some Pioneers to be honest. The door cards do come off really easy so you shouldn't have any trouble.
  12. TobyC Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for this. I bought the car a couple of weeks ago from the Honda dealer in Dunstable but live in Sussex so am off to see my local Gatwick Honda dealer again tomorrow. They have already replaced both front speakers which now sound good to me.

Do you know the model number of the Pioneer speakers you would recommend? If the warranty claim route fails I may just sort it myself and move on. As it happens I work in music production and find listening to our music in the car [and lots of other systems] a great way of double-checking our mastering output and other projects. So I'd like to get this sorted a.s.a.p.

Many thanks for the help and kind regards.
  13. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Id put your front speakers in the rear doors and put something decent in the front. I Just said pioneer as they are generally good and cheap but if your into your music Id get some components in and change the tweeters.

These pioneers are good

I still rate MB Quart and have their tweeters with some focals and I'm happy enough with the sound. CDT, Rainbow are good too but you do get what you pay for.

I've got the previous version of the Foacl 165KRC in my doors so I can recommend them. The crossovers are easy to hide and stick to the inside of the doors too.
  14. TobyC Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Racy Jace. That's very helpful. I'll see how far I get with the warranty and then adopt your plan if this fails. I need a good but 'real world' system as the mastering gear I work with is deliberately pure and unflattering. The general idea is to generate output that sounds as good as possible on as wide a variety of gear as can reasonably be achieved so testing it on everything from car systems to iPods is the order or the day. Obviously playing back music through distorted/blown speakers doesn't help!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful input.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Racy Jace, when you said "the door cards do come off really easy", could you be a bit more specific? I'd be interested to know what this involves if you have time to explain. I'd need to get at both the front and the rear door units.
  15. TobyC Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Happy to report that Gatwick Honda are also now replacing the rear speakers under warranty, so I'm hoping that will be the end of the issue.
    Many thanks to all here for the help.
  16. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The rear passenger speaker on my 08 Accord was affected and replaced by my dealer along with the front passenger one which was also kapput.
  17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Toby.

First watch this video. Its the US Accord so there are some differences but you get the general idea.

Below is a picture of my door card and where the screws are. Use this along with the guide I've typed out.

View attachment 5574

This is from memory so I here goes:

-Lower the window
    -Pull tweeter off and un clip
    -remove plastic panel from behind the door handle ( there's a notch at the top for a small screw driver) Remove the 3 screws.
    -Remove plastic square panel to the side of the door handle.look for the notch.remove screw.
    (If you have electric seats the plug behind it will need disconnecting)
    _Remove rubber panel. Its just resting in place. Remove screw.
    -Remove window switch. Look for the notch at the back. Insert screwdriver and lift it straight up keeping the screwdriver horizontal.
    -Start to prize the door card of from by the teeter.
    -Lift the door card up to un hook it from the door.Keep the card vertical and close to the door as the door light wire needs disconecting.
    -Unhook the door handle with screw diver. Its held on with two clips.
    -If you have electric seats unclip the wiring from the door card.
    -The window switch wiring loom is held on with a clip. Prize it out.
    Door card off

I used my original speakers as adapters by taking them apart by heating them over a gas hob to remove the cone. I then heated up the craft knife on a gas flame so I could slice through the plastic frame to remove and reuse the speaker connectors screwing new speakers straight on top. I did need to trim the plastic wall round the back of the speaker grill so the door card would fit back on. Again using a craft knife.

The tweeter does come apart if you would like to hide a new tweeter behind it too.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  18. Tallman New Member Getting Started

Such a shame the Accord seems to suffer from these problems with the speakers.
    I just had a door speaker replaced in my 2009 Accord for the second time. The Honda garage I used on this occasion seemed to have little knowledge of this problem (although Head Office later confirmed to them that it was a common fault). Another posting on the AOC site suggests that the amplification was upgraded for the "Premium Audio" system, but that the speakers were not - possibly causing this issue - although I'm not sure how true that is.
    This is my 5th visit to Honda garages to solve this problem. Neither has any idea about this "sample sound track" supposedly available to them. I asked about the idea of needing to replace speakers in pairs, rather than singly, but was told this was not necessary.

I am pleased to say that all the work on the stereo system has been covered under warranty, despite the warranty having expired months ago, but I'd much rather I didn't have to bother with any of this.
    I suggest Honda should specify better speakers in future - saving us all a lot of aggravation - and in the meantime do more to make sure all their Service personnel are made fully aware of the content of their bulletins.
  19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I believe the speakers are Panasonic - not exactly a beacon of Japanese quality. Therein lies the issue.

Panasonic is like the Nissan of the audio world. Honda's should have Pioneer as standard!
  20. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does anyone know if the speaker quality has been improved on the recent face lifted cars?