Optional Extras 8th Generation ADAS

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by TheDarkKnight, Monday 2nd Jul, 2012.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So who has it? Add below, copy/paste...

1) Saj
    2)

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good drivers don't need it ( yawn, jealous) ...

4. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just read the following article to learn what ADAS is:

Features: Honda ADAS

may be useful for some who are not sure.

The adaptive cruise control is certainly something you need on the motorways of today.

I've started using my cruise control control recently to get better MPG as its easy to be doing over 80 without realising and I'm trying to be more relaxed.

Unfortunatley, its becoming more headache than its worth, drivers cutting in front and slow lorries overtaking the lorrying pals at +1mph means I often have to turn it off. I just can't properly relax with it on, I have to intervene so much, I may as well not have it. Its probably fine on a quiet motorway, but on the M1 during rush hour - useless.

Only if I had ADAS!! The 8th Generation is becoming even more appealing.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The system will never be full understood by people who have not used it. reading about is never the same as doing it in real life:Smile:.

It is a brilliant tool which assist you never to replace the driver.

There is far simpler explanation of ADAS on our community http://hondakarma.com/threads/51/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hm, I would urge a ban for such a horrific statement :telloff:

But because you have an Accord, I shall absolve thee of such a heinous crime!!

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Duly b!tch-slapped. Envy got the better of me as i use cruise at every opportunity.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Drove down the M40 today, torrential rain.

I was however, very pleasantly surprised to see that the LKAS feature was working about 90% of the time, even when I couldn't even see the lane markings due to the spray and standing water. An absolutely fantastic feature.

9. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Another thought,

A colleague this week came in and was talking about how he has got so used to the parking sensors on his car, that when he was reversing his wifes car he went into a post.

The discussion then turned into one of how these modern features are actually slowly turning us into rubbish drivers due to our reliance on these features. It's something that happens slowly without us realising. What do you guys think?

Sorry, don't want to come accross as trying to wee on your bonfire, just interested if other people have felt the same.

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well, if he reversed into a post then he is a pleb. These devices are there to aid driving, not make it easier.

Granted, automation will become greater, until there are autonomous cars everywhere, but the tech is there to help, not replace. Thats precisely what ADAS does. I did over 150 miles in the rain today up and down the M3. And the lane assist was integral here as the road markings were invisible to the naked eye as the rain was relentless.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I drove up from London on Friday it took me the best part of 5 hours to get back , and like Saj I used LKAS in the relentless rain and not once did step out of the lane.

If you remove your hands from the steering (hands very close to steering wheel) the car will drive for 15 seconds until you get a audio and visual prompt to get your hands back on.

12. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Saj, you seem to have misunderstood what I'm saying and my question.

I understand and accept that these devices are there to assist, the driver only and not replace. You'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise.

My question was simply that are we likely to get so used to these assistances that without them we'd struggle?

As with most such questions, time and experience will tell and the answer is likely to be different for everyone.

ADAS sound brilliant and I personally don't think users would get so used to it that they would struggle without it.

Another "pleb" I know of (yes, I know a few "plebs" :Smile:) got used to the hill brake hold on her passat so much, that when she was doing a three point turn in our pool car she rolled back almost a meter!! and was very close to hitting the wall.

Also devices that are made to aid driving do in my opinion make driving easier for the majority of people.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That would depend on the individual. Not fair to tarnish everyone with the same brush.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How I see ADAS as an owner it has the ability to reduce driver fatigue. If you are doing long journeys despite your planed stops and staggered approach of traveling, there will be times you would have lapses of concentration. ACC CMBS and LKAS will reassure you when you have these lapses and if it prompt you to take action it reassuring. You as the driver then need to evaluate do need to stop and have a breather or coffee .

CMBS will not stop the car having a collision it will lessen the blow by applying full brakes before the impact. Pre belt tensioned will tuck you in further to minimise the impact. How can this technology make you more dependent and make you lazy it's the last line of defence.

15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't have any of them fancy gadgets on my car.
    It would definitely come in handy on my long drive to Croatia(24 hours non stop driving).People lose concentration and fall asleep while driving,happened to myself.I nodded off for just a few seconds but nearly caused an accident so technology got my vote any time of the day.