Engine & Gearbox 8th Generation Gearbox

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Peterbfd, Friday 24th Jul, 2015.

1. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Peter Bradford
    Hi All,

When I change gears, it seems to very 'clunky', it seem to 'clunk' twice when changing gears (out of gear and into the next).
    Is this normal, is it just the way the 8th Generation gearboxes are like (sorry for my terminology, hope you get what I mean)

Peter

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I drove @AccordCU2's Accord recently, I didn't notice it being clunky at all.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm not sure which model 8th Generation you've got, (please add your to the Club Garage) but my CU1 is silky smooth. In fact, all the Accords I've had were smooth.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I would suggest changing your transmission fluid, the only time stock gearboxes tend to get "clunky" is when either the transmission fluid is well past its best, or someone has in the past used the incorrect specification oil. We haven't seen one 8th Generation gearbox failure here to date.

5. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Leo, that's good advise.
    It is due for a service and MOT soon, so will change it then

6. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

2nd Thoughts, got it booked in for Tuesday for a Fluid change and to also get the Red airbag light off my dashboard (front impact sensor issue)

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Good to hear Peter, let us know how you get on with it :Smile:

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Well, I have sometimes some difficult gear changes also. But it only tends to happen when I want to be to fast to change gears and don't put my foot down the full 100%.
    Changed gear oil 25000 km ago and it changes better in cases where I want to change gears 'on the edge'... :Wink:
    But can't complain at all in normal daily situations. All works fine.
    Anyhow: check the fluid level for the clutch operation.
    One of my friends had such a problem and it came down to a not good adjustment of the cable.

Nels likes this.
  9. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank all for the info, I will let you know if it improves with the Fluid change and go from there

10. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Had the gearbox fluid changed this morning and it cost £115.
    I have only drove the car back from the garage so far but I can not tell any change at the moment, still feels a little 'clunky'.
    You feel it come out of one gear and into the next (as though it catches a little)

The airbag light, I have been informed that it is an electrical problem and that the Impact sensor does not need to be changed.
    They also said they could not do this job and I have to go to an auto electrician. So problem still there (been to 2 garages so far and this the first time I have been told this but both said they could not fix it)
    Oh and I need a new passenger rear caliper as it is sticking and the pad is now 50% less than the other side (not having a good time with this car at the moment)

MOT due September so will have to look into this when I get back from my holidays

Peter

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which transmission fluid did you use buddy? how bad was the fluid which was extracted did you inspect the oil to see any metallic glitter?

12. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All I know is that it is Green and very expensive. The garage change the fluid so did not see the old stuff

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's very important as I said above that the box is filled with Genuine Honda MTF3 fluid (or another 75w-80 GL4, but let's not go there).

This is something you need Honda diagnostic equipment on to properly diagnose, airbag problems can be a mess to diagnose - I scrapped my '03 because of it and potential 4 figure diagnosis bills. I and @Ichiban tried for weeks with everything imaginable using Honda diagnostic equipment, replaced the sensors, the control unit etc. - then gave it to Holdcroft, they couldn't sort it - next step was to strip the entire loom out of the car which would cost so much that it just wasn't worth it.

Whatever you do moving forward with it, make sure to get the codes read with Honda equipment, and then ideally give it to a Honda garage - just be prepared for a big bill. I hope whatever issue you have isn't as involved as mine.

Very common issue, I've just done mine. Worth sorting sooner than later as you'll just ruin the discs too.

14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Green gearbox oil? I changed mine for the Accord a few months ago and just today for my wife's Civic 2007 (FK1). The color is far from green! Looks more like regular engine oil.
    I do use Honda Original MTF. It's not that expensive. Alltough, on the Civic it costed me a lot of time to remove the whole plate underneath the car. Accord is far more easier.
    Don't worry about the price, you need only 1,9 litres in the Accord. In the Civic 1,4. That means I needed only 4 litres for 2 cars, at approx. 7...9 euro/l (don't know the exact price.... doesn't matter).
    I did feel the difference in shifting on the Civic clearly after the change. Car has only 60.000 km, but it needs changing every 8 years. It looked a bit dark, was worth it.

15. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I hope the airbag light as not as complicated as that.

Although I love the look of the car, it has been the worst car I have ever had regarding problems (my 7th Generation ran like a dream and never had a problem in 3 years)
    2008 - Only done 65k and has loads of service stamps but it is constantly got a problem that needs sorting.

I am going to phone a auto electrician to see if he can sort the problem first and go from there.
    I have been quoted £150 for the rear caliper so will sort that out next month

Regarding the fluid, the guy looked through his computer and just stated 2oh it takes the dear stuff" and that he will have to order it in for me.

16. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Peter,
    The light can be something simple as a connector that's not attached for 100% to an expensive change of the control unit.... Does the technician have the equipment to read out error codes on your Honda?
    For the gearbox: has it been checked if there's enough fluid in the system for engaging/disengaging the clutch? That's simple DOT3 or 4.
    I feel sorry you have this bad experience with a Honda product. Mine and many others experience is the opposite: never owned such a trouble free, reliable, cheap to maintain car(s).

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

There's always a bad one in amongst the mix, 8th Gens are generally very reliable cars but who knows what previous owners have done to it.

I'd find out whatever's gone into it, doesn't sound like he used MTF3.

Give it a shot, just make sure the guy's competent there's very few around who knows what they're doing working on Hondas, they're all geared for VAG and German cars these days.

18. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thinking about the loose connection comment, the time the light came on was around the time the HID's were installed (can not say for definite the light came on before or after, not too sure).
    The airbag light however did not just come on and stay on, at the beginning the light would be on one day and then not on for a week before it came back on.
    Eventually the light started to come on more frequently and now it is always on.

I am thinking it may be worth while taking the front bumper off and having a look around, however I don't even know where the sensor is to even look in that area for any related wires. With doing this, am I at risk of setting airbags off and even if I do fix it would the light just not come on showing I have fixed it or will it have to be reset

Thanks for your help

19. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I installed HID's also on my 8th Generation (twice :Wink:). There are two crash sensors behind the front bumper. Simple black small blocks with a connector attached.
    When installing HID's you should not touch them. But it might be worth checking.
    According to the shop manual you should indeed disconnect first the battery, wait 3 minutes, than disconnecting the airbags and seat belt retentioners...
    Safety first.

FR-V likes this.
  20. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Had gearbox oil changed on my 2.4EXi at 5 years & 39 k miles instead of recommended 8 years & total cost parts & labour was £75 at main Honda dealer. Gears were silky smooth but had oil change anyway as interval after first change is 5 years.

Had os rear calliper seize just 18 months & 5 k miles after os rear calliper has seized before & new Discs & Pad had been fitted at £250. Dealer quoted £416 + Vat just for new calliper which I told them to forget & jus t had callipers cleaned & lubricated & no problems since. On the journey to get os brake fixed the calliper has freed itself off overnight so hub did not get hot. Then had ex Honda master technician I know check both the rear callipers & the work had been well done. Will now get this guy to service both front & rear brakes every year as rear brakes in particular are a weakness on 8th Generation Accord. Reconditioned/exchange Honda callipers are available for about £150.