Wanted 8th Generation I-Dtec Type-S or 2.4L Front brake calipers

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Doc, Wednesday 6th Aug, 2014.

1. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm after front brake calipers and carriers for the 8th Generation I-DTEC Type-S or 2.4L petrol to fit 320mm discs.

Thanks
    Doc

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There will be a stampede for these callipers if they showed up mate ..LOL

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oye ! Get to the back of the queue !! :Tongue:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I know MoneyBags!

I was talking to @Doc

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well there still will be a stampede :Smile:

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I was planning on doing this just over a year ago when we first discussed it on HK @Ichiban. I got some standard Pagid discs and pads fitted by my mechanic as I didn't have the time to do it myself with OEM parts and couldn't find the bigger calipers. Now after 11k miles, 6k of which have been on the motorway, the discs are warped and blue and the pads are shot. I've had to strip the pads 3 times since having them fitted as the excessive dust keeps seizing the pads. Strangely the OEM discs lasted 36k miles (12k miles of my driving) and the pads were only 1/3 worn when I got the car. The discs never warped or turned blue and the pads wore down far less without issue. So now it's time for another disc and pad change so another opportunity to do the upgrade. Lesson here is Pagid are terrible. Easily the worst brakes I've ever had on a car. I wouldn't mind so much if I'd actually driven them hard or got them hot even just once.

I can't seem to find any I-DTEC Type-S' or 2.4L on line being broken which is why I posted the add but I know this will be the new popular upgrade like the Type-R calipers were so it would be a long shot.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I have some other possible upgrade solutions that warrant being investigated a little further. It'll cost far far less and still genuine Honda.

We've all for ages using CH1 2-Pot 300mms and a couple have now gone for even better CU2 2-Pot 320mm, but there's other Honda / Acuras around the world with 2-Pot set-ups that none of us have gone investigating in the past. I believe that some of the newer large Honda and Acura models in the states also use 2-Pot 320mms, vehicles like:
    • Acura RDX
    • Honda Odyssey
    • Honda Pilot
    • Honda CR-V
    Then there's the big 4-Pot set-ups that I already know can be made to work on the 7th Generation but they're a little more involved and pricier:
    • Acura RL
    • Acura TL Type-S
    I have a good contact for second-hand USA parts now, and also very cheap shipping 2-day shipping. The potential price per caliper is all of $50-75. I reckon for the twin-pots all-in, including import, £80-120 a pair.

How about we get our research caps on and see if we can dig up some more information on these potential swaps? If it pans out, we have a really cheap upgrade compared to the rare CU2 (unfortunately USA CU2 are single pot). Shame I've just finished my overhaul really else I'd jump right in.

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    They definitely sound like a possible option, certainly ones worth looking into further. And the price considering they'll include shipping is as good a the Type-S calipers.

Are the twin pots the same calipers as the 8th Generation Type-S?

How much modifying will the 4 pot calipers need to fit?

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The complete Type-S calipers with pads and discs set-up new is 4 figures mate and you know how rare they are used, hence trying to find something a little more common so the prices are cheaper.

The twin-pots are different from vehicle to vehicle, hence needing to do the research.

__

So certain current models of the Honda CR-V, Odyysey and Acura RDX do share the same twin-pot calipers:
    • 45018-SHJ-A01
    • 45019-SHJ-A01
    They are for 280mm discs but have massive 49mm pistons.
    __

It appears the '09-13 Honda Pilot models does have big twin-pots:

Massive 330mm discs with 47.5mm pistons. Sounds to me like 17" wheels would fit but I'd need to confirm. These sounds like the best option I've stumbled across as I haven't found anyone doing it yet, would need to research carriers.

_

The 4-pot Acura RL by Advics, I'm not sure if our Euro KB1 uses the same calipers:

These are quite well known for retrofitting with 320mm discs, these will need 17" rims or larger with a minimum 40 offset (stock is 55 I believe, so would need spacers). There's a guy in the states making custom carriers for the CL9 if memory serves, the TSX folk seem to often use non-Brembo Nissan 350Z discs with them but plenty of other options would work (I've seen some use 300mm discs). Worth noting the calipers are aluminium - no rust and light. There's not that much in the way of pad choices for this set-up

_

The 4-pot Acura TL Type-S by Brembo:

These again have been done with TSX numerous times, and are a very popular option with 280mm S2000 discs - it works with some 16" wheels but 17"+ recommended, these need minimum 42 offset. This is quite involved in terms of making it work, no plug and play unfortunately, it's been used by race teams. These have pretty good pad choice.

_

I also know there's older Accord V6 Coupe twin-pots using 280mm discs, though these are obviously bested by the known Accord Type-R calipers already, given the biggest reservation for many with the genuine ones tends to be age and these are older.

_

I've just been doing some further checking and ruled out the Acura RSX (including Type-S) and all Honda Civic SI as single-pot. As we're covering all the bases worth mentioning that Honda Integra Type-R (DC5R) Brembo do fit with some reservations I cannot quite recall, @PeteMM can speak more to that.

The twin-pots mentioned have not been tested before, but it's worth us brainstorming a little further and digging into with carriers and the like, especially the Honda Pilot ones.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    DC5 callipers will not fit our Accord without a custom made bracket ideally you want to change to the DC5 knuckle for a direct bolt on.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The 4-pot Acura TL Type-S by Brembo: very interested in that just drill the knuckle out to bigger bolts ..that what I can see