Accord/8th Gen 8th Generation - initial impressions

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by FirstHonda, Tuesday 19th Jun, 2012.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi all,

So, having now had my new Accord D-TEC EX Auto for 6 weeks, and done 2k miles, I thought I'd comment on some initial thoughts, having never owned a Honda before.

Likes...very smooth and quiet, relaxing, and comfortable for long motorway drives and economical too, averaging 46.9mpg so far. Also like the fact I hardly ever see another one (unlike the German competition!!), but can't help but wonder why Honda don't market the car more? I stumbled across it, am very glad I did, and if I came to this conclusion surely others would too...? Mind you, that did mean that the deal when I bought it was pretty good...:OTT:

I also find the sound system quality excellent, and although the satnav looks a bit old fashioned I find it works well and is easy to follow, which is the most important thing. General build quality and finish of both the interior and exterior is particularly impressive, easily the equal of other cars I looked at from Mercedes, Audi etc.

Dislikes...not 100% convinced by the styling. Every time I see a 7th Generation car I can't help feeling that it looks better - just sort of more complete, without some of the touches that feel like they have been added for the sake of it (front and rear light design especially). Maybe it's just me?

Other than that, my only other gripe so far is that I already have a couple of stone chips on the front, but given that it spends its life on the M1 no surprise really. My previous VW also suffered the same...

Feels like a great choice so far!

Last edited: Tuesday 19th Jun, 2012
    Ichiban and Ichiban like this.
  2. Hiioppy New Member Getting Started

Hi,
    I too have just bought my first Honda, following having Mercedees for the last 10/12 years. My last merc returned 42mpg, a 3.2 estate. My new Accord Tourer, 2.2 is only giving 29/30mpg. I have just been to France clocked over 1600m, mostly motorway and all within the speed limits, not impressed with the return. Find the hard tyre's doggy in the wet, it's nowhere near as sure footed as the merc.
    Out side of those comments, the car is comfortable, and I like the sat nav.
    Your right about the sound system, it very good.
    Put my golf clubs in yesterday, the boots is very narrow, something I had not noticed when buying.
    I like the looks all round, and the techno inside is very good, although yesterday in the very heavy rain, I lost the wipers stick features from my mind. Silly really. Air con is good, and the speed of the de-mist, very impressed with this.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys good feedback honest and meaningful to a lot of prospective diesel owners. Two weeks to my new car and one thing I won't be bothered about is the mileage my 2.4 dishes out.I am not being snobbish or because I can afford burning petrol as money grows on trees.I am buying the car for the joy factor and its credentials, for me mileage has always been the least of my worries.

The road handling of the 8th Generation when pushed into corners is sublime and there is loads of grip and there is never a hint of traction loss. Strange to hear your views Hiioppy.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My 8th Generation is very sure footed and i do push it hard in the corners and CJ proved it today too LOL and it stick to the road like a glue.

5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

An 8th Generation is a couple of years away for me at this moment. :Sobbing: Still never even been in one either.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will nip by in mine bud, you can drive it to your hearts content.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  7. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No because if I drive it i'll want it! That's why I'm putting off test driving one. I'd get carried away and find some way of justifying buying it and then have to give half my house to Becs in a divorce :Rolf:

Nels, Ichiban and AccordCU2 like this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will get Helen with me for morale support so Becs isn't left out ..break the news gently.

9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

More like safety in numbers!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    lol it called damage limitation from second degree burns.

11. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    The smooth ride was the first thing that caught me by surprise when i first got into my 2012 Honda Accord EX and was really the selling point. As for styling, I am a practical person and my car is equally practical though to me, it's very beautiful and classy and has a lovely understated sophistication.

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spot on guys. Still getting used to the steering feel yet sticks to the road like glue. Sound system awesome, even through Internet radio via the iPhone. The Euro has a cheap-ish feeling drop-down drawer beside the driver's leg but it fits a garage remote perfectly. Otherwise, quality all round and first tank of premium unleaded 95 RON returned 9.67 klms per litre.

13. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    There are always little quirks about every car; things that you had in the last one, you wish was in this one. But if the handling is superb, those little things fade away and you just start enjoying the ride.