Service & Maintenance 8th Generation main beam bulb

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Racy Jace, Thursday 17th Apr, 2014.

1. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bought some Osram H1 bulbs as recommended but when going to fit them, the original ones have a L shape plastic piece on them saying hb3.. Have I bought the wrong bulbs? The bulb seems fairly secured and I don't want to try and pull it out just yet. I checked on other Web sites and they all say it should be a H1 bulb.

I new I shouldn't have bothered trying to do some DIY :Blushing:

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hey Jace

Not to patronise you, but check the handbook - that will list the bulb numbers for you. As I don't have an Accord now, I can't check. Usually the bulb holders are just twist/pull out types - have you disconnected the plug etc and then tried to remove?

99% sure the handbook has the instructions on how to change them.

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know I should of checked first but when several websites say it's a H1 bulb I believed them:What:. It's definitely a hb3 so I've got to swap them now

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Did you get a picture fella, strange your car has HB3?

5. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can confirm, mine too are HB3 main beam bulbs, H1 dipped beam and H11 front fogs.

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It was a Hb3 bulb in the end. I need to wait till next week when I can test how good the bulb is. Its a osram unlimited bulb. I did notice on the back the bar chart says its not built to last as long.

7. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have heard reports of their short lifespan, but don't know if there are many other alternatives other than HIDs, but Im not a lover of HIDs for main beam.

8. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I only have a few sections of road that are unlit so in theory they shouldn't be used that much. We'll see how long they last.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What's wrong with the stock Honda replacements they last forever and since it's the high beam which we hardly use you should be good for a long time.

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The stock bulb looks yellow against the HID beam so I wanted to try something different. Osrams unlimited are meant to project the most light according to reviews so should be better than the standard ones but we'll see.

11. Blue Toffee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It will be interesting to see if they compliment each other, you will have to take a pic and post it when you get them done :Niceone:

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The osram nightbreaker unlimited bulbs are great. There's a definite differance. Road signs are really bright and there's a brighter center area about 100 ft in the distance. For people doing night driving down unlit roads these seem great.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nice one matey hope they last now.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I also put these osrams in my wifes nissan note. They're on the dipped beam and have improved the viability too. I will need to keep the standard bulbs in the car just in case they do go but as we've both got led side lights, people will still see us from 1000 feet!

Ichiban likes this.