Engine & Gearbox 9th Generation 2.2 i-DTEC to be discontinued

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by Ichiban, Thursday 6th Jun, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda have announced today in line with market demand and increasing sales of the 1.6 I-DTEC, the Civic 2.2 diesel has been discontinued with production ending in June 2013.

Civic 2.2 variants are therefore only available to order from stock or pipeline stock and not available to factory order.

Not good for the current 2.2 Civic car owners their cars will depreciate overnight :Blink:

2. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't think it will impact on 2.2 Civic prices much.There will always be people who want a bit more power. Just like the 2.0L and 2.4L petrol engines.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I had the same concerns when I judged the car on price and stats .However my perception were changed when I drove the car..I don't like the Civic at all but loved the 1.6 Diesel engine performance. It is very very good. I would suggest everyone to have a test drive you will be surprised.
    I see where you coming from on the petrol comparison however the 1.6 is really good (did I say that :Blink:) Well not in the case the 1.6 and 2.2. on paper the higher cubic capacity give the 2.2 more advantage but the 1.6 is really good drive you don't miss that performance.

Displacement (cc) 2199 I-DTEC
    Fuel type Diesel
    Maximum Power (KW @ RPM) 110 @ 4000
    Maximum power (PS @ RPM) 150 @ 4000
    Maximum torque (Nm @ RPM) 350 @ 2000
    Type DOHC

Displacement (cc) 1597 I-DTEC
    Fuel type Diesel
    Maximum Power (KW @ RPM) 88 @ 4000
    Maximum power (PS @ RPM) 120 @ 4000
    Maximum torque (Nm @ RPM) 300 @ 2000
    Type DOHC

Not a million miles apart and the Torque is nearly the same and the in gear performance is really good it a quite and better manner car with the weight saving of over 57Kgs that is like dropping one teenage off the cars weight!. On full throttle this 1.6 engine is superbly quite and it a joy to drive.

15MPG more than the 2.2 and £900 cheaper than the 2.2 it does stack up in its favour. From a corporate world drivers perspective the 94 g/km of C02 give it a 100% write down allowance in first year.