Suspension, Steering and Brakes 9th Generation Suspension

Discussion in '9th Generation (2013)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 16th Jan, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just wondering, but other than cost savings why go with strut suspension? I would have thought double wishbone or even better multi-link would have been a better choice.

2. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It would be; all the best Hondas (plus Audi, ET al) have them too.

The car is clearly related to the US Accord, which has switched to struts.

Whether they try to differentiate Acura more from Honda or simply choose to save money, is conjecture at this point.

The RLX still has DW, but that is because it's made in Sayama and is probably basically a re-body of the RL.

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I've read struts take up less space aswell, so a probable sacrifice in handling (something that you can't see) for space (something you can).

Most folk I know will choose based on affordability, looks, colour and interior before or even if they consider handling.

4. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Which is probably why no-one buys Hondas.

It's not unless you enjoy driving, do you appreciate where all the money (used to) go.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Cost I would imagine is the major issue, double wishbones are expensive, macpherson struts are cheap and cheerful, unfortunately the double wishbones aren't appreciated by most owners especially Americans who probably don't care about handling anyway.:Rolf:

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm guessing it's cost saving first then space saving, although other cars manage fine without using strut suspension. These sort of decisions disappoint me because the Accord isn't exactly a cheap car to buy new, in fact its price tag is up there with the rest of the "premium" brands.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Slightly misleading, it's only the front suspension being changed, the rear will retain the excellent multi-link suspension. Phew!

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    They would have to keep multi links since these are expensive cars and in the category they compete in. Can;t imagine a torsion bar would go down very well.

Still it has nothing on the full double wishbones setups.