General A bad week for my accord. Theiving so and so's :(

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by k20a3, Monday 23rd May, 2016.

1. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would share my bad week I just experienced with my Accord. On Wednesday morning I was at work and my wife rang me to say when she had started our accord to take the kids to school the exhaust was making a loud noise so she took the Civic instead. I thought this was weird as I had had a new system put on about 18 months ago.
    So when I got home I jacked the car up to see where the hole was. I had to look twice as I couldn't believe what I saw. Someone had stolen my Catalytic Converter !!! :Frown:

The had cut it off and taken with it the sensor and the 2 flanges of the center pipe and the down pipe!! Ouch... :Frown:

Through the main dealers it would all be around £2000 to put right :Frown:

If I claimed they would write the car off probably. :Smile:

Anyway I came up with a solution. I went online and found an approved cat for £78, and the sensor which was £98. There was a 15% off day at our local eurocar parts so all for about £150.

I then had to make up the shortfall due to the cut off pieces. So I bought some 2" straight exhaust pipe and cut it to the right lengths. I then had to weld these to the cat flanges. Also I have welded some angle iron and when they arrive some hardened steel rods along the pipes to stop thieves from attaching what I was told they use. A chain with teeth that fits around the round pipe and they wind it back and forth and it tightens and cuts through the steel pipe.

Not a good start to the week :Frown:

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Daymn! these. . .. *insert curse words here*
    Sorry to hear about the loss but atleast you got the pieces sorted as I have seen cars go to scrap due to costs involved.
    Don't know which Accord you have got but it happens a lot with 6th Generation one.

3. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes its a 2.0 VTEC SE Exec 5Dr man 2001. My wife was looking online and actually found an article from a police force warning people who have this particular model of car and the Type-V as well. Apparently the original fitted cats are worth allot to thieves :Frown:

I have attached some photos, please be kind I am in no way a competent welder yet :Smile:

IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0048.JPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    The angle iron photo shows it welded to a spacer piece then to the center pipe going off to the rear muffler. The front spacer will be connected to the severed down pipe shown here.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry here .... :Smile:

IMG_0046.JPG

exec, BB Baboonface and legend-ary like this.
  4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I see.. I think as long as it saves the car from going to scrap its good enough :Smile: but good job on putting on additional safety as now they have spotted your car they might come back... why haven't you added it to the club garage?

BB Baboonface likes this.
  5. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I forgot about that, I will add it soon. I will have to get some pics of it soon.... :Smile:

BB Baboonface and legend-ary like this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

the underside looks so clean I wonder what the top looks like :Wink:

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Sorry to hear that man, this is extremely common on the 6th gens. My dads old 6th Generation had it stolen and he scrapped it as a result, few months later mine got stolen.

You've done a good job of repairing, just beaware that the 02 sensor from ECP might not work, these cars are really fussy and usually only work with NGK/NTK aftermarket ones, other are very hit and miss, failing that OEM is the only option to go.

k20a3 and BB Baboonface like this.
  8. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    My thoughts exactly!

Sorry that these flippin' flippers did this, but nice work getting it sorted.

k20a3 likes this.
  9. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all your comments. There were a few in euro for sale. They were all generic ones. I went for one made by walker, it had a proper fitted connector. Hope it works after all this fuss :Smile:

10. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Fingers crossed for you buddy. Hope all goes well.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sorry to read about this @k20a3
    This type of theft just keeps re-appearing on here.

Where do they offload the stolen cats?

k20a3 likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    They get traded into scrap metal merchants - cats are around £200 to up to around £600, sometimes a bit more on more expensive models on scrap value due to the type of metal involved in their construction.

They arent supposed to accept them, but as with most things in life..........

13. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Perhaps you can give me some advice please regarding another job on this car. I got a replacement upper arm ball joint but its not quite the right fit. Its a little small. I have installed it anyway as once its connected to the arm/hub its all tight. However after some thought I am not really happy with it and so will replace the whole arm which includes a ball joint already fitted. There are 2 makes available. Q drive and Lemforder. Are either of these better quality than the other?

Thanks
    Joe

14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Cost no option = Lemforder specially for such a critical component as ball joint.
    They do OEM parts for Mercedes and many owners of Merc owners use their parts instead ones that come in Merc branded boxes.

15. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, that's great help. The lemforder is only about £9 more. I will get one tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Joe

16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear about this nothing is safe from these scumbags today.
    Just out of interest did you report the theft to the police ? As you never know they may know of a gang that is doing this type thing. Just more information for them to go on as well.

17. Nighthawk Guest

Q drive is a cheap ECP part if memory serves me correctly. I would also go for Lemforder out of those options. Delphi too if you can - Delphi are OEM for a lot of Jap cars

exec and k20a3 like this.
  18. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks.... Yes I rang the police. They said it wasn't common in this area but had heard about it happening up north. They called around the house on Sunday and said they think that my car had been targeted for its valuable cat. They said that the replacement one wouldn't be so valuable. Do you think that's right. Perhaps the newer ones are made with less precious metals?

MickyB likes this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

Thats right as a general rule - replacement ones (non OEM) are made from cheaper metals and therefore not worth as much. Doesnt mean its not at risk of being pinched again however as the person who is pinching it likely won't know the difference.

6th Generation Accords are prime for pinching due to the cats location and the ease of being able to cut it off with little obstruction in the way.

MickyB likes this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    They won't nick the after market one, they are worthless and the very little invaluable metal in them will be worth around £5, as opposed to £200+ on the OEM. They know what they after and its pretty easy to spot an aftermarket to an original as the design and build is completely different, aftermarket ones look like cheap tin cans, the OEM one looks like its off a tank.

Out of interest whereabouts are you located?