Tyres & Wheels A bit urgent about uneven tyre wear

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hsyasin, Friday 21st Mar, 2014.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    I just had a look today after work, and was shocked to find out how badly my driver side rear tyre was worn from inside, and the funny thing is I've been driving it daily between home and work, on motorways and country roads and have never felt anything wrong in driving. No vibrations or wobble
    IMG_20140321_190531.
    Have attached a pic of this disaster, can u guys help me out as soon as possible as to what needs to be done? i mean wheel alignment, balancing or tracking or whatever that causes this.:SOS:

Also i understand i'll need to replace the tyre, so which tyre should i go for, should i go for the same tyre, its firestone firehawk 94w xl.
    Is it a good tyre?

2. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    You will need a full alignment done (ideally with 4 new tyres)

Most likely scenario is that the lower bolts to adjust the rears are seized so no-one has ever bothered to adjust and instead make up for it in the front giving a slight crabbing effect to the car.

Mine was the same, 2 new bolts from Honda (Part No. 52387-S3N-000) properly greased should see years of good service.

As for tyres, all I can say is refrain from budget makes for your own personal safety and those around you, and don't be fooled into thinking Uniroyal Rainsport II's are going to be any better.

I can't recommend a tyre as the only tyres I have truly ever enjoyed on the road have been Toyo R888's and Yoko Parada Spec II's - both of which were useless in the wet, but at least they were predictably useless compared to most tyres out there.

DeviateDefiant and AccordCU2 like this.
  3. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    I second @PeteMM

Normally you should be able to hear radial wear as the tyres become very loud (as was the case in my car)

4. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks alot for ur replies.
    Ok i've found a few options from asda they're offering price including fitting
    Sailun
    225/45R17 94W XL Z4+AS Atrezzo
    £56.34
    wet grip B and fuel efficency also B

Is this tyre actually any good?
    and it says that its reinforced tyre.

could u guys also have a look and guide me as to which ones will be good. Not really planning on spending too much, as my first baby is on the way.
    http://www.asdatyres.co.uk/select-tyres-and-savings

Also the front ones that i've already got are Event Tyres / Car / Event WL905 Event WL 905 - 225/45 R17 94W XL TL with wet grip as E(just found out):Aghast:
    no wonder the front end was slipping alot.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    First off, don't go looking at cheap unknown brands - not only are they usually god awful, it's false economy as you'll be on a new set before you know it. Here's a custom search for the right specs, reinforced and the decent brands.

Please don't hold too much weight to the EU ratings, most are cutting down on tyre thickness to achieve better noise ratings, going for less grip to get better economy stats etc. - it's a mug's game, look at reviews first and foremost.

6. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Cheap equals a couple of things - dangerous and shit

It really is that simple, I know we are all loathed to spend money on the rubber bands, but for slightly more than the price of a tank of fuel you can have a decent tyre fitted.

I would love to sit and bleat on about how poor budget tyres are, but no-one will listen so here's a video

Nels, DeviateDefiant and AccordCU2 like this.
  7. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Just went to tyre shop and the guy told me that he has premium hankook tyres k110 and k115 £85 each, these any good?
    Plus he said he'll do 4wheel alignment for 48 and is not hunter system, but he said both r pretty similar, what do u guys think?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You can get them £7 cheaper with free delivery which works out to £28 overall. Can't speak for the tyres themselves as I know little about Hankook.

Hunter Alignment is generally regarded as yard stick for all others, my only experience with another machine is what made me get proper Hunter alignment done in the first place. Others with more experience will advise better on that :Smile:

PeteMM likes this.
  9. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

oh yes i remember the guy said they do 4wheel super tracker alignment, comments?

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd never heard of it, but their website is comically bad and the product pictures don't give me much hope. Hunter alignment with Kwik-Fit was about £40-50 I believe, for me that's a no brainer.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've got Hankook K110XL 225/45YR17 on my car.
    Had them since Jan. '12.
    Before these, I had Contis, Dunlop, Yokos and Goodyear my cars.
    I did read many reviews about them before I had them fitted and have seen them fitted on new cars too.

To date, they've been fine.

HOWEVER, I don't race around much anymore.
    I keep a good distance behind the car in front. etc
    Don't get me wrong, I'm no little old biddy in a Micra.

My only recommendation would be to get the best possible tyres you can, and drive within the limitations they have.
    Putting the best Yokos on and driving like a **** **** will still get you and others killed.

Those 4 tyres are the only points of grip for your safety and that of your family.

Also, agree about the Hunter alignment.

Hope that helps.

12. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    This is a good video, reinforces what I've always thought to be the case

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ok chaps, heres the situation now,
    After thinking really hard and going thorugh my bank ACC again and again:Sorry:, have decided to bite the bullet and made up my mind I'm gonna get all four tyres changed plus get hunter alignment done this coming weekend :Happy:

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good on you mate.
    It's worth paying for the quality tyres, you'll feel the difference quality tyres just work superbly in all conditions.
    I knows it hard to spend all that money on just tyres but end of the day the tyres are all that's keeping you on the road. Your safety and your families safety is priceless.

Last edited: Monday 24th Mar, 2014
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A decision you won't regret.

:Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup:

16. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Agree with @Nels & @SpeedyGee

I was going to put cheap ones myself but went with Michelins and the difference is amazing.

17. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ok now heres the situation,
    I got new tyres put in, rear ones first coz the front ones were quite alright with more than 3mm on them,
    so put 2 new hankook k110 on the back plus got alignment done from the same shop, he did a super tracker one and was quite convincing that there's not a big difference between hunter and his super tracker.
    Ok so got that done with 2 new tyres premium(bloke at a14 tyres said, not my words) at the back replacing my budget tyres(Event tyres) and this is the result he gave me after 4wheel alignment
    supertracker.

So, was just driving around town after that and saw another tyre shop called central tyres and they were offering a free check on alignment, went in asked about that and they said no problem, and guess what, they had hunter alignment system in:Pinch:.
    Ok so got in, got it checked for free and he gave me these results
    hunter.
    Should've looked around a bit before getting alignment done:telloff:. But didnt get that done, coz i thought should ask on here first.
    Plus here's another thing, after getting 2new tyres on the back and getting 4wheel alignment done, I'm now noticing catastrophich body roll. I mean, previously i could corner at reasonably high speed around town, now i feel like the car is losing its back end :Wassat:.
    I mean, how come on cheap and out of alignment tyres be miles better in handling the car then new aligned(sort of) premuim range tyres?
    I don't get it:Unknown:
    Any thoughts chaps

18. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Also, been reading elsewhere that rear alignment being out means something bent or a bush or shock needs replacing :Unknown:

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not sure what is going in there. Maybe one of them broke something whilst doing some adjustments ??

And why does the Hunter read out say Steering is not level, why wasn't the steering locked in straight position ?

20. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

no idea, is it something that the hunter alignment guy did, or is it just the steering not set straight while taking the readings?