General A/C Problems - Any Ideas?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edwardg, Tuesday 2nd Jul, 2013.

1. edwardg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All, Can you help?
    I have a 2004 Accord Tourer (Petrol Auto) that has developed an intermitant A/C cooling problem. The first thing I did was have the gas checked - this is fine and there are no leaks. The compressor is working. It works sometimes but then cuts out and just blows air. Anyone experienced anything similar or have quick fix ideas?

Planning a trip through France with the family that could be hot and stick unless this gets sorted!

Thanks for help.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What temperature have you set the air con at ? Since the A/C running in Auto mode which is technically climate control the A\C compressor will not be engaged all the time .it just comes on maintain the correct temperature set and after comparing all its sensor readings.

Welcome to the community :Hey:

3. edwardg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I dropped the temp setting to ensure that thesystem should be operating....
    Also, all fuses etc appear fine.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    drop meaning set at what temperature?

5. edwardg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Took it all the way down to 16 & Lo - lots of 'warm' (atmosphere temp) air!
    Thanks

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    OK when you have the A/C running can you check the slight glass for bubbles these bubbles should eventually disappear in a minute if they don't then its a low gas situation .

How to find the slight glass open the bonnet as your standing towards the car on the left towards the headlight you will see this aluminium pipe with square block and this slight glass.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. edwardg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I could not see any bubbles but I know the gas is ok because it works sometimes and I had it checked by an A/C man who said the gas was full....

9. Nellyrobbowigan New Member Getting Started

I had a problem with my air con recently,if your ok with basic electronics you could have a go yourself.i opened the main fuse box and pulled out the 3 grey relays associated with the aircon.they were the same values so I swapped them around and hey presto my aircon worked again!
    At some point I will take the relays out again and stick a 12 volt battery across the 2 trigger points on each of the relays and put a multimeter across to the switching points to check that the relays are switching.i suspect these relays either stick in one position or the contacts inside become pitted and therefore don't connect properly.a replacement relay will be below £15 I'm sure.

10. edwardg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great, thank you, will try that tonight & pop into halfords to see if they sell the relays.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  12. edwardg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes - I pulled out all the relays, swapped them around and put them back.... all sorted!

That is a good future would be a good starting point for anyone suffering A/C issues.