Service & Maintenance A couple questions

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Skooshbag, Thursday 23rd Apr, 2015.

1. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    now I have the MOT all wrapped up, it's time I paid some attention to the other niggle annoying things. First up is the damn squeak. I think it's transmission based, as it only happens when the accelerator is pressed, it's a high pitched squeak which is constant while the pedal is down, even only slightly. Ideas?

Air Con. From my experience the air con should be pretty cold from start, but mine blows warm for about 5-10 mins before it starts to cool, even then it's not much cooler with the aircon button pressed compared to just turning the heater dial to cold. It's my first car that's had air con so I don't have a clue.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Thats just a regas issue more than likely mate in relation to the air con. don't let kwik fit do it however in my opinion, they break everything they touch.

Whereabouts is the squeak coming from? When its warm? Cold? Can you hear it outside of the car. Does it stop squeaking when you push the clutch pedal in?

3. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    ok. I assume the aircon regas is something that cannot be done at home?

The clutch in or out has no bearing on the squeak. It can be heard outside the car cos when I have my window down and I pass close to a wall I can hear it echoed back at me. engine temp seems to have no bearing on it either. It only happens when the accelerator is pressed, even slightly, and it happens at stop and in motion

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Does it change its tone or frequency the faster you go or does it stay constant?

5. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    not that I noticed. I'll carry out further tests tomorrow while the mrs is off cos she can give it some revs while I try and pinpoint the noise, mebbe even get a vid if I'm completely stumped

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Regas needs to be done at a proper air con place, they have the system and gas to put back in and have to put the right amount in and also check for leaks.

The squeal of gas pedal could be something with the cable or throttle body, have a look around the engine bay, see if anything is touching the cable or give the throttle body a clean.

7. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    I have discovered the squeak is completely random, it comes and goes and the volume varies, but I have another pressing matter. Handbrake. about a week ago when I released the HB the lever pushed itself up mebbe 2-3 notches and when engaging the HB it was about 9 clicks before it held, so I figured the cable had stretched and it needed adjusted, which I did. that took it back to about 6 clicks and the self raise stopped. BUT THEN I noticed the HB wasn't holding the car. I was out at it today having a look. The cables are fine, they are slackening and tightening when I pull/release the lever so I assume the problem is within the hub.
    Now this is where I'm not clear, and the emanual isn't clear either. Rear brakes are pads (the same as the front) When I engage the HB are these the same pads that engage or are the HB brakes a different braking system?

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Check the connection to the caliper hub, when you pull the lever up it uses the same pads to engage, same way when you brake they compress and connect to disc, there is no drum or anything like on older or inferior cars, also the hand brake cable itself should not need adjusting as its self adjusting.

9. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    Regarding the hesitation under load problem I have, in my Pre MOT MOT thread someone suggested it could be the TPS causing the hesitation. I assume due to the location of the TPS I need to remove the entire intake system to access it?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not sure on the 6th Generation.

@Chunkylover53 do you know what is required to get to the TPS ?

11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Skooshbag
    Airton re gas may solve the issue of no cold air when the button is pressed. However check the condenser at the front of the car, it looks like a radiator, that is in front of the engine cooling radiator. If the fins are missing and it looks damaged, chances are it is and was the cause of the leak. They get damaged easily by stones flicked up and also flies getting trapped and rotting the aluminium. I did a guide on how to replace one. But first off get the system checked for leaks. When the account kicks on you will know as the cooling fans also come at the same time and you will see the compressor kick on and off as it cycles.

As for the rear brakes, they are self adjusting type, but I would advise that you check that the slider pins that the calipers are bolted to have not seized in place, which might explain why the handbrake is not working properly. Also if you wind back the pistons like when changing pads, use the special tool as they need to be rewound and not simply compressed like a regular caliper as the handbrake mechanism is built in.