Tyres & Wheels A dirty story...

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by mikey77, Tuesday 9th Jul, 2013.

1. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wonder if anyone has any advice on this one? I am irritated because the front wheels of our 2010 I-DTEC are filthy with brake dust all the time. Every time we go out, even for 20 miles, I end up cleaning them off. I've never owned a car, Honda or otherwise, where this has been such an issue.
    I keep polishing the wheels (17in standard alloys) so the muck doesn't stick but I'd like to know of a way to stop it happening.
    I guess, at 43k miles, the car is probably due for new pads (and discs as well these days, no doubt) at the next service so I was wondering if different pads might help. My son uses some sort of EBC pads on his track day car and they don't seem to disintegrate in the same way.
    Any ideas folks?

2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I didn't realise I had this problem until I put new Honda pads and disks on my 8th Generation Idetec. I can go 600 miles/ 3 weeks now and the wheels will be grey and NOt a dark black.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure your calipers arent stickking too.

3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Mikey,
    Is your car an auto or manual? Auto's have much more brake dust because they lack angine brake.
    New disks at 43k miles? Mine has 75k km's and stil original brake pads and discs. Don't see me changing the pads before 100k km's. They still look great.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah, it's an auto but I like to think I'm not heavy on the brakes - being an experienced auto person. My old Prelude (auto) is on original discs at 125,000 miles and are less worn than the ones on the Accord. As far as I know the Prelude front pads have done 80,000 and the rears have probably never been changed. All the service stamps in the Accord book are Honda main dealers so they would only have used genuine parts - wouldn't they? I'll try and have a squint at the front pads through the wheels and see how old they look.
    My pal always said that the bigger the gaps with fancy alloy wheels the more brake dust problems you get!

Edit: I've just had a thought - the car has ADAS and sometimes brakes when I wouldn't. Maybe it brakes on its own more than I realise.

5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I'm a real 'engine brake'-man :Smile:. I drove several times auto Accords, and if there's one thing I miss: engine brake. Tried to use the paddles on the steering as much as possible, but the reaction is so slow before shifting down and starting to feel real decellaration.
    How do you take care when you say you're not heavy on the brakes?
    Holes in the wheels: never heard that relationship with brake dust, but indeed, my Civic had nice looking (original 16 inch) 5 spoke alloys and my Accord 2011 has (a bit less nice....) 16 inch original 10 spoke alloys and the Accord seems to have a bit less brake dust to wipe off than the Civic!
    It's not only the ADAS, but also VSA that brakes quite a lot on mine. Accellaration on wet, hard cornering... it all activates the brakes.

6. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I like to react (or not) in advance!
    I've just crouched down and had a look at the front pads. Not easy - it's 33C here today and I'm not as young as most of you lot!
    They look much less than half worn to me. But then you never know with dealers these days, do you? My pal put his 12-month-old very pampered, garaged always Opel Meriva in for its first service some time ago and the main stealer told him it needed new pads and discs - at less than 12k kilometres!

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If your allow wheels are quite open then the spokes will collect a lot of dust as the dust travels through the wheel rather than out the back. But some pads will generate a lot more dust than others. The only way to know which are truly low dust is from other members experiences and comparisons. Also a worn pad will generate more dust than a new pad as, due to there being less friction material, it can't dissipate the heat as much which causes the pad to wear more.

My wheels are powder coated and I also tend to brake quite hard. I've noticed that after cleaning I can travel as little as 10 - 20 miles and there is a noticeable layer of dust on the alloy. I think there is also an element of static attraction involved as well.

Apart from waxing your alloys and trying a recommended low dust brake pad there is very little you can do to stop it.

There is a big difference between EBC pads used on a track car and pads used on a road car. they are designed to operate at very different temperature ranges so these wouldn't be suitable for your road car.

8. Nellyrobbowigan New Member Getting Started

You could replace your pads for ceramic ones? They are about £40 for a set and there isn't much dust at all and what there is is not black.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Brake pad material has changed a lot from the 1990 which didn't show a lot of brake dust the newer brake pads composition has less carcinogenics which means more dust. I have this issue on my 8th Generation all four wheels are black in no time.

if you use ADAS more often then the brakes will be used more than ever to maintain the gap between the front vehicle and keep the safe distance. and downhill it will massage the rear pads more to keep the speed in check.:Wink:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if you can't get ones for the 8th Generation but they take their own sweet time to warm up before they bite! £40 quid may be cheap but what happens when you want to brake now and it not meet it operating temperature.

lastly cremiaic is pads are know to chew cast iron discs so are you really saving when you replace the front disc more frequently.. its a trade off.

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Carrying on from what Ichiban just said. Brake pads which require warming up to meet operating will require them to be driven harder during normal driving. If you do a lot of motorway driving the rare occasion you use the brakes will result in you're brakes always being used from cold. Also brake temperature will be a nightmare in winter. The roads are wet and/ or icy so doesn't allow for hard braking, which in turn doesn't generate pad temperature. Which means you're always driving with cold pads. This means you always have little bite and little feel which gives little confidence under braking, and confidence is something you want in poor driving conditions.

You'll end up running different brake pads in the summer and winter depending how much brake temperature you can generate. Not something by the sounds of it you'll be wanting hassle with.

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I agree with above. Fast road or track pads are just dangerous for normal driving their bite is rubbish until up to temperature and yes I gave have used them for amateur racing. They are no good for daily commute.
    Green stuff are ok I found less dust for a run of the mill road pad although you will still notice it less so than stock but they don't seem to last all that long next to Honda stock item. Don't get tempted by the likes of padgid they are crap. You may be able to get a dust shield if you phone around they seem to work quite well but don't know if they do them for Accords?

13. Julianp Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paris
    I've always found it helpful to wax my wheels. It won't stop the dust from the pads forming on the wheels, but it does make it a lot easier to clean it off and stop the dirt getting baked hard onto the alloys, especially in hot weather.
    Julian.

14. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    EBC Greenstuff pads are designed to work properly from stone cold. They do make much less dust and they're great at stopping the car.
    I've fitted EBC Green and also reds to several cars. The reds are good from cold but you can get them absolutely roasting without any issues. I used them on a couple of 5 series BMWs I had and was experiencing brake fade on. They now have other compounds too but I've not used those yet....