Engine & Gearbox A shocking discovery

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hsyasin, Monday 13th Apr, 2015.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    Hay all, just did my valve clearances for the 2nd time as in the last few weeks as i thought first i over tightened them then i redid them again and then i might have left them loose, in fact exhaust ones were DEF loose as i could easily slide a 0.30mm in a out without drag.. so readjusted them with patience this time as weather wasn't too bad and thank God for the readjustment idea that was put in my brain.. coz after i was almost finished and was doing the last 2 exhaust valves of cyl 2 my hand got accidentally rubbed against one of the bolts holding camshaft lobes down and it was mind bogglingly loose:shock:.. then i checked all of them and the ones in red circle in the pic attached were so loose that u could turn them with ur finger tip:Aghast:.. and i think i've been driving it like that since the day i bought it, coz as far as memory serves, every time i went above 5k RPM i used to hear very slight rattling, like if u put a nail in a steel tin.. that sort and i always wondered what that was... so went ahead and tightened them al up good.. but i think i may need to readjust valves, coz when i started the car it started really well, but there's this slight vibration now when idling which wasnt there before or i don't know:Unknown:
    but yeah, now i feel she is running real strong and the sound above 4-5k is shweeet:vtec:
    and :Hey: to honda:gohonda:, their engineering... i mean really their engines are really forgiving... coz the way i thrash her.. i think if it was any other car, it would severely damaged the internals i think.:sparta:

Kuukko and HondaHeritage like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think you had a very lucky escape there, had a nut come loose and fallen off who knows what damaged could have been caused !!

I don't sea any picture attached BTW !

The K series engine are marvelously well engineered, I love working on them.

3. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee :facepalm:.. got lost in tapping away on the keyboard that forgot about uploading the pic, sorry.. here u go
    - - - Updated - - -
    amen to that
    - - - Updated - - -
    i would say extremely lucky escape:sweating:.. coz 2-3yrs of daily thrashing.. who knows what that could've done
    oh and u'll notice a head bolt missing, well i took it off to see what type they're as i snapped the top of it while tightening the rocker cover on last time:mechanic:.. :brickwall:

20150411_105524.

4. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    The valve clearances are recommended to be done every 2 years by Honda, I've not had mine touched yet, mechanic keeps telling me they only need doing if they start getting loud.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You didn't loosen any of the ones you have marked in red have you ?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Seen this before, have a look at this thread Standalone Projects - Fix '05 Civic Type-R Damaged Camshaft & Cam Holder

You need to make sure you torque those bolts to correct torque not just by feel !

6. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Good find that, could have been nasty and expensive. But yeah, that should have affected you clearances again :-/ But look on the bright side, you're getting good at doing them now lol.

Well done mate, lucky lucky :Smile:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If you look along the intake cam it's very dark in colour, as it was loose it has been generating extra heat and what you are seeing is oil burnt on to it.

My concern now @hsyasin is that you may have overtightened the bolts.

8. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

how, coz of the vibration?
    coz, i didn't over tighten them, just gave them just under 90 degree turn after hand tightening them, and i just did them on saturday, haven't opened the cover yet... the pic is of before, when they were extremely loose

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Engines are built and work to certain tolerances. You've tightened a key engine component by hand, what I am saying is that this is ill advised and that it should be torqued to the correct specification using a torque wrench.

10. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

oh no, another thing for the list as urgent buy then:Messed:
    what are the torque specs for these bolts?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'll look them up for you later

12. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I do admire how you never let your apparent lack of mechanical experience stop you from just jumping in and working on important stuff like brakes and engines. Finding out critical information first is for wimps!

hondream and SpeedyGee like this.
  14. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

@Zebster appreciate u being:professor: and all, but m just a newbie trying to fix stuff on my own instead of going to garages, i know its a steep learning curve, but if i don't do it, how else will i learn:hunter:..

Zebster likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You do need to be careful though @hsyasin.

16. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If those valve clearances had become loose because the bolts were undoing, then doing them up will have resulted in the valve clearances becoming too tight. This could result in the valve seats becoming damaged, so I'd treat it as a matter of some urgency to get them reset.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ultimately you now want to back off all the bolts so they are all lose following the set order in accordance to the service manual then tighten to correct torque again following the order as per service manual to the correct torque and then you want to recheck the valve clearances.

19. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've got a Honda Service manual on DVD in my office computer. Unless someone else (Speedy?) can do it sooner, I'll look up the tightening order and torque settings next time I'm in the office, but it'll be towards the end of the week.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Mines on my garage PC. I was in the garage earlier tidying up but totally forgot.

I don't mind looking up the info for you @hsyasin, however, all things considered, especially given that you're messing with vital engine components without full knowledge of what you are doing I'd suggest you let a professional sort this out.

I'm all for people learning things and doing things themselves but doing it on critical parts of an engine is just asking for trouble.
    You make a mistake here you could end up with damaged pistons, bent valves and god knows what else. Meaning you'll then be needing a complete replacement engine, which will set you back a good grand plus labour costs of swapping engine.

Where as you pay a small amount to a professional, who can retorque the head bolts for you, recheck the valve clearances, correctly install your rocker cover and fix any broken bolts. You'll then have fully healthy engine once again with no worries of any further issues occurring.

roelfarm, Zebster, Nels and 2 others like this.