Off-Topic A trucker's side of the story

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MickyB, Wednesday 8th May, 2013.

1. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok people there are a number of HGV drivers on the forum.
    Almost everyday you come across a big lumbering beast somewhere on the road and encounter a problem of some description.
    This is your chance to raise any issues you may have and I and the other HGV drivers here will try and answer them from the perspective of the Truck driver.
    All answers will be honest this is not a witch hunt against truckers so please be civil and let's try and give you a little bit of an insight into the world of trucking.
    Anything goes within reason.
    So anymore truckers out there please show yourselves and lets see if we can help people understand our plights a little better.

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Here's one. Why overtake another truck on an incline.

3. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have seen this all to often myself and sometimes ends up in the overtaking truck loosing too much speed and ends up having to pull back behind the slower truck making the whole overtaking maneuver pointless

4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Bit off topic kinda (sorry) i looked up at an artic the other day and driving it was the most amazing BABE!! And I mean Good looking or what. Now don't burst my bubble and tell me it was you. :Grin:
    Her driving was ok to

Last edited: Wednesday 8th May, 2013
  5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I already asked Micky that on the other thread about bad driving habits.
    Motorways aren't too bad but A roads drive me mad.

6. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Why do truckers pull out in front of you when it's unsafe to do so instead of slowing down and then pulling out when it is safe?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey even I have seen them! damn these where finnnnneeee !

Recession and all you need a job then lorry driving then so be it, there are no cross dresses here.

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hey even I have seen them! damn these where finnnnneeee !

Recession and all you need a job then lorry driving then so be it, there are no cross dresses here.[/QUOTE]

Years ago when i had a spell out of work i did my class 1 as it was then and never used it. Did drive a 3 & 2 for a little while helping a friend but blow me the hours! thought i had it bad now.. No - total respect to most of the drivers out there and as for the fairer sex damn women in trucks :Smile: will be leather clad girl bikers next ! Bring it on :Smile:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    We are showing our age now leather babes and bike,

Midlife crisis here we come :Tea:

10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is the best way I can explain this.
    If you are pulling a loaded trailer then you will go up hill slower than a vehicle pulling an empty trailer.
    Visa versa going downhill the loaded vehicle has the weight pushing it down so it could go faster than the unloaded vehicle.
    On level ground they will both be equal in speed dependant on what the owners have set the vehicle governor too. The max speed on a motorway is 60mph although most companies restrict the vehicles to 56mph.
    So what you will probably be experiencing is an unloaded vehicle overtaking or attempting to overtake a loaded vehicle on the incline. If that vehicle doesn't complete his move before the road levels then both vehicles will probably make the same speed together hence the problem. By the way the speed limit on a dual carriageway is 50mph unless it is a M class like the A1m.

11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be honest Dave that's just poor bad driving. There's no way a truck will out accelerate a car so why on earth pull out when there's a car approaching... No reason but BAD DRIVING
    Mind you it happens with car drivers too.

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes there are some nice lady truckers on the roads. :Wink:
    No it's not me ha ha ha

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Having a bit of a lull here lately no one upset you people lately???

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its good to vent as they say :Drinks:

15. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok since you asked. I was in Scotland last week giving my new Superb a good thrashing (I have to say it was very nice throwing it around the twisty highland roads) and coming home on the A(something or other) single carriageway road I was stuck behind two artics. No problem there, thats what happens. But we came to a section of dual carriageway about two miles long and the second artic pulls out to overtake the first. He just about got to the end of the dual carriageway section and just managed to pull in front of the first. He must have been going about half a mile faster than the other one so nobody else could overtake and we were all stuck behind both artics again. Luckily the scenery was very pretty and I was enjoying my Willie Mason album on the stereo so my rant didn`t last long.

16. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't understand why the lorry that is being overtaken can't just lift off the throttle a little to let the other wagon on his way.
    I see it all the time (and on two lane stretches of motorway it drives me nuts) it's like the lorry being overtaken adopts the attitude "b0ll0cks to all the other motorway traffic, I'm NOT letting this lorry past"
    Baffles me.

17. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Same here, I see it all the time on a stretch of dual carriageway from the docks at Liverpool to the M58/M57 motorways. As soon as the dual carriageway is reached your way is blocked by two artics side by side trying to outdo each other

18. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some do it because they know it annoys you.

19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some do it because they don't know the Highway Code which states quite clearly that if you are being overtaken then you should slow to allow the other vehicle to pass you???
    I would say bad driving I was taught that if I wanted to overtake then I should be going at least 10% faster than the vehicle I wanted to overtake .
    In the case of the two in Scotland well I would say it was poor driving by the overtaking vehicle driver if he knew that there were cars behind him then he should have allowed them to pass before making his over taking manoeuvre.

20. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just interested to know if the vehicle that overtook the other actually pulled away from it ?