Engine & Gearbox A very expensive week so far!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by JAB, Wednesday 14th Nov, 2012.

1. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is turning into a very expensive week unfortunately for my ICTDI Sport GT (Sept 2007)

I had my 125,000 service done at the main dealer as usual yesterday plus two rear tyres and rear brake pads. (£758.83) The dealer also did an excellent job of valeting inside and out for me, mind you after paying so much I would have been upset if they hadn't.

I drove 30 miles this morning, pulled up and a set of traffic lights and then could not engage 1st gear, I could only find one gear which I think was third and just managed to limp 200yds to get the car off the road with much reving and clutch burning!:Aghast:

I have never had even a hint of clutch slip on the car and it now appears to have let go in spectacular fashion. This is the original clutch by the way.

The car is being recovered this morning and taken in for repair!:Aghast:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That does sound like a catastrophic failure in the clcuth system, hopefully once its stripped and if it is found to be a manufacturing fault Honda may do something to offer you some level of gesture of goodwill on 2007 car.

You don't have a remap on this car do you ?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you saying the Honda delear did some work on your car and about 30 miles later you couldn't engage any gears ?

Perhaps the dealer changed your fluid and didn't bleed the clutch system properly ?

Last edited: Wednesday 14th Nov, 2012
  4. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The car has not had a re map and is completly standard. The car drove perfectly the 30 miles I drove this morning before the clutch suddenly let go.
    The other thing I had done yesterday under warranty was to have the exhaust manifold changed because of exhaust gases in the car, but I cannot see how this could possibly be related to a clutch failure!

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Manifold cannot cause the clutch to fail in such a manner,has your car been taken to Lookers Honda at Notts?

6. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The car is company car and the directors have unfortunately decided to recover it to a local garage we use for a lot of our repairs.
    I will keep you informed once I find out exactly what happened.
    I would personally have prefered to have it repaired at Retford Honda who have looked after my car since it was new.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just hope this garage knows how to fit the I-CTDI clutch correctly without the right tools it a waste of new parts.

8. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have just been to the garage where my car is being repaired. The clutch plate was intact with still some wear left on it, the pressure plate was also OK. I was told that the DMF had too much movement in it - about 50mm. The automatic clutch adjuster was evidently at its maximum. I am not sure how this could cause such a sudden total clutch failure? To be honest I was expecting to see a lot more damage.
    Anyway hopefully I will get the car back tonight in fully working order.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get all three components installed thou.

10. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    I also had clutch failure last week exact same symptoms as yours Jab could not get car in gear had clutch & DMF changed and like yourself the mechanic showed me the clutch plate and pressure plate and he said they were fine but he showed me the DMF which was like a rubic cube with the movement in it, i also had no clutch slip but i put mine down to the remap.
    This is the 2nd time i have had clutch & DMF changed with the same problem of not been able to get into gear and DMF completely shafted what could be causing this obviously mine would be down to the remap this time as i only did 70k until went but the 1st time?? And Jab having same problem and would not surprise me now if many more people have had the same problems and the clutch could be diagnosed as the problem when in theory it could be down to the DMF??? So what could cause the DMF to get so much movement??

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Avoid abusing the clutch, abusing the clutch generates excessive heat this kills the DMF.
    Lots of engine starts/stops are also said to be hard on the DMF.
    Low rev driving is not good for the DMF, some people drive with few revs as possible and change through the gears very quickly, thinking that that saves fuel. It doesn't it labours the engine and puts undue strain on DMF. Conversely harsh driving also deteriorates the DMF.

don't park the car the in gear when parked up, put the handbrake up and leave car in neutral. At traffic lights handbrake up, neutral, clutch up.

The DMF by nature is a device that has to absorb torque (or rather torque variation), so it's not surprising that they do sometimes give up the ghost long before they should.

Last edited: Wednesday 21st Nov, 2012
  12. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Well that explains my pains as i do every thing you have mentioned above apart from abusing the clutch i even park up on a night and leave in gear but i do have handbreak on, as i live on a slight incline and the car once rolled back onto the road :Aghast: i can tell you when i got a knock on the door and saw the queue of cars and my car blocking the road never felt so embarrassed:Aghast: So leaving in gear when parked up strains the DMF as well even if i have handbrake on.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Haha, done it myself long time back when I first started driving. Left the handbrake off on my Dads car.
    A few minutes later got a knock on the door and someone said "Mate, you seen where you cars is ?" So I look and the darn things rolled down the road good 20-25 metres gone across the road and parked itself half way up the path LOL

Luckily no others cars were around the time and so no harm (apart from a bruised ego) was done.

14. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well I got the car back after a couple of days in a hired Mondeo!
    The clutch and DMF was £1008 and it is lovely to get back in the Honda.
    Just for the record this is the first clutch I have ever had to replace in 43 years of driving, I do not abuse clutches and I always leave the car in gear when it is parked.

I have posted a seperate thread on here asking if the I-DTEC clutch and DMF have been improved and beefed up over the I- CTDI, any clues anybody?

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

In cars without a DMF leaving the car in gear is not an issue.

In cars with DMF, you put a strain on the DMF.