Tyres & Wheels Abnormal tyre wear--CR-V

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by smcnei, Monday 13th Jul, 2015.

1. smcnei Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Stuart SWANSEA
    Regarding my CR-V-2011-DTEC which was bought last February from local Honda dealer,I have noticed[all be it too late],abnormal tyre wear on passenger side front wheel.The vehicle was MOT'd at purchase and have done approx 4000 miles since purchase.The driver side tyre has absolutely perfect uniform tyre wear.The passenger side tyre excessive wear is on the outside circumference of the tyre.The performance of steering and suspension system while driving appears to be perfect. Tyres fitted are Bridgestone Dueler HT687--225X65R17.
    Because of safety issue,I shall be having this attended to at Honda dealer or steering/suspension shop ASAP.However,just to satisfy an old ex-mechanics curiosity,I wonder if anyone has had experience of this or can throw some light on the subject.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Sounds like a camber issue to me - bad ball joints could cause uneven wear as well, but you should hear them banging around which by the sounds of it, you don't.

Let us know what their diagnosis is

3. smcnei Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Stuart SWANSEA
    Thank you sir for opinion and advice--will let you know what happens.Cheers.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Anything feel different in the steering? There might be nothing wrong mechanically and it just needs alignment, otherwise ball-joints are the most likely cause as @Nighthawk said.

...getting to the more unlikely, a worn control arm or tie-rod end could do it too, neither are common at the vehicle's age.

5. smcnei Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Stuart SWANSEA
    Both steering and suspension systems appear to be working perfectly--no undue noises or excessive free play or vibration.Which is why I suspect,as you say,that it is an issue with alignment rather than mechanical wear.But this has all got to be checked out and I will advise for future reference.My regards.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Thanks Stuart, looking forward to hearing their findings.

7. smcnei Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Stuart SWANSEA
    Morning guys,
    After visit to repair shop,it appears that my tyre wear problem was alignment.So you were spot on with your diagnosis Dave--cheers pal. Initially,the complete steering and suspension system was checked for mechanical wear and was found to be in excellent shape. [I personally know the technician and he knows his stuff]. Alignment was checked and found to need adjustment which of course was done there and then. So looks like I am in good shape again but will of course will monitor the situation.
    The only thing that 'niggles' me is why it was mis-aligned. Unless I am missing something,the only thing I can think of is that sometime in the vehicles recent history,a part of the steering/suspension system was replaced and any necessary alignment check was not carried out correctly
    Anyway,many thanks to all from a 'happy camper'.
    Stuart

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Just hitting a pothole can miss align the tracking it is surprisingly easy to do.

9. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

As above alignment can be put out for various reasons such as pothole, parking on a kerb etc
    keeping alignment right on the CR-V is critical to get best from tyres; the centre that carried out my 4 wheel alignment mentioned that it was important to do 2 checks per year on these cars
    did not ask the reasons why, but will likely get mine redone in the next month or 2 as it will be around a year i got it checked.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I wouldn't worry about your alignment coming out of spec, this is something which always happens overtime, something which can be exasperated by some of the reasons outlined above or simply just wear on suspension components.

Many tyre fitting places will offer you a free alignment check, whenever fitting new tyre fitted it's worth getting it done - so that you don't unevenly wear fresh rubber.

Glad to hear it's sorted :Smile: