Pre-Purchase About to buy a legend, but got loads of questions!

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Zeddicus, Sunday 6th Dec, 2015.

1. Zeddicus New Member Getting Started

Hi all,

As a bit of an introduction, I have had a 10 year love affair with a Subaru Legacy R Spec B which I have owned from new.

Just love the q-car appeal and the sound, the gadgets and the incredible road holding due to the flat 6 boxer engine.

However, the old girl is getting a bit long in the tooth, having ticked over to 103k miles, and as my new job will require fort nightly commutes of 100-150 miles each way, I want something a little more reliable and less leggy. Unfortunately, as the new job is with a startup, I also require something cheap!

Looked at the endless diesel euro barges on the market, but for sheer spec and price, you don't seem to be able to beat a legend, also helped by the fact my similarly sounding legacy served me well for so long!

I've found a black one (favourite colour) for sale at a very good price, 57 with 69k miles and full Honda history. Haven't driven yet due to other commitments, but if it's still for sale later in the week, will be heading there on Weds/Thurs.

So to my questions:

1) fuel economy is not a problem - used to 18-22 MPG in my legacy so expecting something similar. However, how cheap is it to keep within the Hinda stable?

2) slight concern on the specific car is that although it has a full Honda history, it was last stamped 2 years ago at 50k miles. Speaking to the garage owner he says it looks like it has been serviced recently due to oil colour, but no stamp. Million dollar question, but how risky is this? If it drives ok with no noises, and all the toys work, is it worth a risk? Has the parking sensors too so has all the spec I want.

3) driving - I am so used to the urgent nature of the Legacy that I am a little concerned about the reports on the legend's gearbox not being too urgent. Obviously, I will drive it before buying one, but just wanted some views from current owners... Does it make a different to manually shift? I expect road holding to be as good if not better, but want to be able to exploit all of the VTEC engine and hear the noise! Pity they didn't do a manual version! I have fond memories of borrowing my dad's 1996 Accord 2.2 VTEC and hope to experience the same if not better in the Legend!

4) warranty - the garage will give a '3 month piece of paper that nots worth anything and cost them £10' with the car, but I plan to have it immediately serviced by Honda (local garage in Guildford). Can I add on a Honda warranty? Was a post about a chap getting a 3 year extended warranty via Hinda and was wondering if that is only an option if it has always been warranties by Honda (continuation) or if it was bought from a main dealer? Only plan on keeping the car for a year or so (to scratch an itch and save up for a Tesla!) but would prefer some piece of mind.

5) anything else you can tell be about the car especially in terms of being able to hoon it around a bit (when the kids are not in the car!) as I really am looking for another sleeper/q car for not much outlay! Life's too short not to have fun!

All and any comments welcome!

Z

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 6th Dec, 2015
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hi @Zeddicus.
    The Legend is a luxury saloon, and not really designed for racing about.
    Honda petrol engines are superb, but like all mechanical things, they can be damaged by misuse/neglect. (Although this is still quite unusual)

I have removed the last part of your post as it breaches Club Rules.

3. Zeddicus New Member Getting Started

Hi Nels

Thanks for the reply.

Not hoping or expecting to drive the Legend like a wrx or evo, marriage and kids has lessened that urge, lol! However, what I love about the legacy is it being able to be a comfort cruiser most of the time, but being able to shift when needed. Just trying to get a view as to whether the legend has that character too, given the comments about the gearbox being a bit lethargic and long geared. Read in another post that the manual shifts open up a new side of its character, which I am hoping to experience on the test drive!

No probs about removal, was a bit cheeky and will probably px the old girl anyway (was hoping to save her for my first born, but as she's only 5, was probably a pipe dream anyway! Maybe she could learn in a legend?!)

Z

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

NP
    I'm sure the other Legend owners can answer your question re shifting.

5. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

3) Shifting is not the fastest. It doesn't change with shift paddles. What shift paddles can do is that they let you rev higher and hear VTEC for longer :Smile:. Most fun you get from torque vectoring while cornering though :Smile:.
    4) I don't think you can add Honda's warranty.
    5) torque vectoring - slow in, fast out :Wink:
    2) 07 plate is due to timing belt change, change all the fluids (rear diff, gearbox, engine) as well if you don't have a proof this has been done.
    While test driving listen for a whine at different speeds, light/hard acceleration etc. May be bad prop shaft = expensive.
    Gearbox shouldn't be slipping while driving at all, of course. It's a fine car but I imagine that fun factor is much lower than in Subaru. It's all right though - it's a different car. You have to decide if you can live with it :Wink:.
    GL :Smile:

Zeddicus likes this.
  6. Zeddicus New Member Getting Started

Thanks for your comments Tim, I'll be checking out the history/mechanicals with especial care! Looking forward to the test drive!

7. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Fifth gear test comparison

Zeddicus likes this.
  8. Zeddicus New Member Getting Started

Very interesting, thanks for that vince.

Although the slowest, I know the 3.2 Audi engine is not that reliable in any variant, and I don't want a RWD car for where I live so counting out the beemer. Plus the difference in used price is massive!

I do wish, especially hearing that engine, that Honda had either offered a manual version with uprated suspension, or put the drivetrain and engine into a manual Accord Type-V (for example), as that VTEC snarl is just intoxicating!!!

9. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

As an aside - bit of fun if it snows. Just press the snow button on the dash

FirstHonda likes this.
  10. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mo Cheshire
    I agree with what has been said before.

Only thing I will add is that when I bought mine 3 years ago I did go to Holdcroft Honda for a full service and took out a 3 year warranty which was OK to do then. Not sure about now but may be with shooting off an email or a phone call to your local dealer.

11. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    @Zeddicus I've always fancied the Legend but running costs rule it out for me. If your Spec B is a 2005 it'll be lower road tax - the legend will be high tax band incase you weren't aware.

That aside, 4WD luxury and a 3.5 litre VTEC? Lovely. :Smile:

12. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you drive it in manual mode (anticipate the slow shifts!) it's surprisingly sprightly. You'll find the SH-AWD a bit of a revelation after the Spec B.

The car is naturally more of a cruiser, even if I have chased a few Legacies down through roundabouts!

Much as I do like Legacies, I don't think you'll regret it.