Accord/8th Gen About to purchase 8th Generation Accord

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by bigroncoleman, Tuesday 29th Jan, 2013.

1. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all

Been lurking this past while to get my knowledge up on the 8th Generation and i'm excited to say i'll be purchasing shortly.

I'm going to look at a 2010 ES GT this week and i'm hopeful "this is the one". In summary the car's history:

- 55K miles
    - 1 previous owner
    - fleet car so majority is motorway miles
    - Register Jan 2010
    - 3 service stamps all by Honda, last one in Dec 12
    - £10,500

I think this car is very competitively priced and the mileage isn't significant for a diesel. Seems to tick a lot of boxes as has rear camera, sat nav etc.

Any obvious things i should be looking at? At an average of 18K per year all motorway miles, i suspect DPF won't have been problematic.

Thanks in advance

BigRon

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    check the tyres, concentrating on the rears as they tend to wear on the edges, a strange trait that continues from the 7th Generation. unfortunatly the DPF issue is a complicated one and you caunt allways rule out problems. i would suggest getting the car to a honda dealer and ask for the latest ECU software to be downloaded. if you look after the DPF it will look after you. its all about understanding how it works and what you should do to help it do its job. thats where people go wrong and the things go wrong.
    8th Generation Accords are virtualy trouble free and a damb good car to buy! the I-DTEC discounting the known dfp issues is a hell of a lot stronger the the I-CTDI and you shouldnt be detered at all, especialy at 55k miles. Get it bought! Get a picture up! happy motoring.

Nels likes this.
  3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you, sound advice :Smile:

I'll take your advice Re latest software, with it being serviced every year from Honda (and most recently in Dec 2012), it's not a given that it has the latest software?

What kind of cash you talking about Honda dealer charging for the software upgrade?

Cheers

BigRon

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ES GT's are in thick supply, you should/could negotiate another grand off that price.

As an I-DTEC owner too, I have had zero issues with DPF or anything else and swear that the car is as bombproof as its petrol counterparts. Good luck with the purchase, looking forward to seeing some pics buddy, welcome to the site as well. Great to have you join :Thumbup:

6. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks mate.

£9.5K for a 2010?! :Aghast:

I thought this was competitively priced at £10.5K, comparing it with Autotrader etc. seems to confirm this but maybe i'm missing something?

Only thing i would add is i'm in N.Ireland so wouldn't have the same supply as across the water and as a consequence, options and prices aren't always as good. Could purchase from GB but by time i book flight, boat etc. the savings to do this would have to be significant.

Cheers

BigRon

p.s. It was your 919 miles to a tank thread added to the strong arguement to buy this car as i do fairly big miles and hoping to match your achievements :Smile:

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Depends on the amount of owners too. I have seen a few ES GT's in I-DTEC guise go for £9k on Autotrader with about 58-65k miles on the clock. If you don't ask you don't get. You lose nothing by asking.

Yes I regularly get over 800 miles to a tank, much of that is however m-way driving with perhaps about 200 added via local stop-start weekend driving too.

8. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No fear of me not asking! :Smile:

That price is already £3-400 off as i'll be buying with cash so he said that's how much he'd knock off. I shall try to haggle a bit more!

My miles are all motorway too, about 55miles per day return to work, the odd 200mile return trip at wkds. The usual 1-2 mile jaunt to the shops but only at wkds. Hoping to get close to your 800 figure but not sure if 55miles return (27 each way) is too short to maximise fuel efficiency (especially in winter)?

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Waive the notes under his nose - the seller will soon change their tune!

10. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You may want to check what version of the Sat Nav DVD is included and get it upgraded.

11. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. The update just for the most recent maps or is it software/functional improvements?

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bought the 2012 maps off ebay for a tenner - its just an update of the maps to be honest and was cheaper than buying from Honda. I would caveat that my disc too is genuine, just was being sold cheaply so buyer beware if you get a copy-disc purporting to be genuine etc.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Any update(s) on your potential purchase?

14. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi mate

Unforuntately not :Frown:

I was expecting the stealer to phone me once the car had arrived as it was coming from Coventry to NI, few days later, still no call from him. Reluctant to phone as i don't want to be chasing him when he said he would phone me.

I'm in no immediate rush, i want to find the right motor so i'm biding my time, i've mauled over what car to buy for a long time now so have set my head/heart on 8th Generation Accord so all good things come to those who wait!

Seen this thing online this morning, it caught my eye as lovely looking car. Never seen those wheels before so was curious if they were Honda wheels? They're 18", does the extra inch affect fuel economy much do you think? Can't see it making that big a difference?

View attachment 7144

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good idea to wait for the right car.

Yes bigger wheels will have an impact as they are heavier and cause more friction/drag - but I daresay its a small amount and nothing eye watering.

16. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The pic of the other motor i was looking at didn't upload proper earlier for some reason, this is the car and with the differ wheels. Are these Honda wheels as not seen before, looks the part IMO

This attachment was lost due to a bug in our old forum software before launching Honda Karma.
    If you are the author of this post, please try and re-upload this image for future members.

This attachment was lost due to a bug in our old forum software before launching Honda Karma.
    If you are the author of this post, please try and re-upload this image for future members.

17. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks very nice,quite like that colour.
    Those are Honda wheels called Sigma.

18. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well just to give an update on this. The car I originally posted about was delayed being put onto forecourt as the dealer decided to fix a few marks and scrapes on the bonnet. Fair play to the guy he was honest about it, he could of just made an excuse saying she was in transit from GB and got delayed. He showed me the before pics when she first came in and i can see why she was done, it wasn't very bad but enough to detract from a fairly new car (2010).

Gave her a good look over and test drive. Never drove a 8th Generation before so didn't have anything to compare to but enjoyed the drive, a nicer ride than my current car (Ford Focus) and couldn't see anything wrong at all. The 'i' light was on but so was the fuel light, he said the 'i' was only because she was almost out of diesel.

All round the car was in good nic, prob not the cleanest 2010 you could get but defo in good shape. He has it listed at £10995 and i blagged him down to £10600, feel i might be able get another £100 off but not much more. Given the car market here in N.Ireland i think this is a competitive price, can't find a 2010 for same price and mileage anywhere online in the country. Even on Autotrader across the water, it stands up well. She will sell at that price here in NI.

Overall i'm impressed and just need to make my mind up now, told him i'd sleep on it and get back tomorrow. Only downside is the Mrs doesn't like it at all! LOL! She didn't mind the pics online but in person, she's not impressed at all. Looks too 'chav' inside, women! It is a ES GT afterall! :Grin:

In terms of history, serviced every 12k miles, not all done by Honda though, some by Halfords Autocente in Tamworth, but the book says what was done and seems to cover everything you would expect at each interval. The last service was done by Honda and it was a major service, including break fluid etc. So 2 services by Honda and 2 by Halfords Auto.

I also phoned Honda where it was serviced twice, nothing out of ordinary reported by person i spook to. The reason i did this was that the dealer gave me the 'fleet information sheet' and it says at 47K and 48.5K it was brought into Honda for 'Investigation', but Honda dealer said nothing on system of significance. This has got my curious....How come they couldn't tell me what this 'Investigation' was about? Tempted to phone back again in morning and quiz again.

Anyhow, going to sleep on it and make mind up in morning, might go back with a knowledgeable mate before make final decision. At the moment, i think i will go with it....

Any last minute advice welcome!

View attachment 7406

View attachment 7407

19. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    I've got a shiny EX Auto registered Nov 2009 with 45800 on the clock with a full Honda service history if your looking at a possible last minute change of mind.

Pictures in the for sale section.

I would be looking for 11,500 for a quick sale OVNO!

PM me if you want to ask any questions.

20. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The investigation you refer to may have been recall work. Might be worth asking.

But to me the details you have provided and the pics of the car looks like its definitely worth a punt. However, don't let your heart rule your head. If you don't feel it, don't buy it. There will always be others.