Electrical & Lights ABS and VSA Lights

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Anxiety, Wednesday 1st Oct, 2014.

1. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    Hi, I've had this issue rolling for some time. I had all ABS fault lights come up and after scan at a local indipendant garage I was told it was the fail safe relay which was at fault. In Gibraltar resources are a bit limited and I really didn't want to go to the local dealer yet so I sent my pump/module to Barcelona where they offered a repair service only to send me back another one which supposedly had been repaired.
    When I fitted it there were no lights but when the brakes were bled the lights came back on.... I took it to be scanned again and now it has 2 faults. It shows Sensor Pressure fault and ABS Motor fault.
    Now beforeI send the pump back, could these faults be generated by air in the module?
    Cheers

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Petrol or diesel bud? personally I won't spend a penny on any parts until and unless you know exactly what you dealing with. You need to know which DTC is moaning is that DTC erasable and which is not.

What has changed on your recently for this to happen now?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What order did you bleed the brakes in ?

4. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    The car was plugged into a non Honda scanner (no idea what make) and it read failsafe rely fault, no idea what code it was so it was sent for reconditioning but this one does not have the original fault but the pressure swithch and ABS motor.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry its a petrol, I was not aware there was a Type-S diesel.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There is in the 8th Generation range :Smile:

6. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    Hi, I did front left, front right, rear right and rear left. Is there an other specific order for this model?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ahhh I did not know, I didnt really specify in this thread what car I have...My bad :Smile:
    Its a 2006 Accord Type-S petrol 2.4

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

8. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    I'll try again... I've got a helper assigned for tomorrow already. I am just hoping....

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

When you change a ABS unit, the air trapped is within the ABS unit itself and can be very tricky to get out.
    You kind of need to do a full system brake fluid flush in order to try and get all the air out.

10. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    Damm!!! Bled the brakes again and I still get the flipping lights.
    Funny thing is, the pedal was hard as a rock, when I turned the engine on the pedal went mushy again...:crazyeyes: Could something else be wrong causing the pressure sensor failure?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Adrian, what technique are you using to bleed the brakes ?

12. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    I used the two man method, pump, hold, open nipple, close, pump, hold... and in the sequence FL, fr, rr, rl.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

OK. Next question, did you pre-fill the ABS pump with brake fluid ? Or just install it empty ?

14. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    Hi speedy, thanks for your help mate, I wouldn't really know if there was any fluid inside as it was a reconditioned pump. What I did was after installing the pump I flushed through the system via the 4 calipers as much as I could, then having my helper pressing on the brakes I cracked open the fittings on the pump one by one having pressure on the brakes, then I bled the brakes again.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Another thing I noticed while having the resevoir open, when the pedal was pressed the flud level would go up and down when released.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

When you switch the ignition on, the ABS pump primes. If the pedal goes soft when you turn ignition on I would say you still have some trapped air within the ABS pump.
    The level going up and down is a little odd, probably still linked to have air in the system though.

16. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    Does my car have a brake booster? I've bled the brakes 3 times already lol. I've also noticed on the acual pump like ball bearing type non return valves, could these be pressed to let air out?

17. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    @SpeedyGee How can I fill the pump before installing?

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Use a syringe to put brake fluid in all the holes, give it a shake to release trapped air, refill. ABS pumps are a real ball ache for bleeding, you will still have some trapped air as when the ABS pump runs it will push fluid into channels that were still empty but pre-filling gets you most of the way there. Try it pre-filled and then follow up with another flush, see how that goes.

Ideally you need utilise a pressure brake bleed system and have the means to activate the ABS pump via HDS.

19. Anxiety Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ADRIAN GIBRALTAR
    Hi, I've been busy working on my other car and at last I managed to get back to my Honda. I bench bled the ABS pump as @SpeedyGee sugested, bled the system and........NO MORE WARNING LIGHTS!!!!! Woo Hooo
    Now I have an other dilema although I may be wrong...
    When I press the VSA button I only get the triangle lit up. I think I remember also the VSA light before it broke. Can someone confirm what lights should come on when the button to deactivate VSA is pressed?
    Cheers

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Way to go @Anxiety ! Good team work :Friends::Grin:

I can't remember on the VSA disabling, I'll have to check it out on mine, see what it does.