Suspension, Steering and Brakes ABS Sensor Replacement Tips

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by alloy36, Friday 4th May, 2012.

1. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I've needed to replace one of my rear ABS sensors for a while and i've got hold of one that I will be replacing over the weekend.

I understand that a lot of these get stuck due to corrosion and you have to break them out. I would rather they came out with little fuss.

Anyone got any tips for removing the sensors without breaking them?

I'm thinking of giving them a soak with WD40 for 30 mins.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is where beefy expertise comes in hand , as its his day job.:Smile:.. Bud I have never come across to replace a sensor on a tourer as they don't chew them like the saloons.

There is a technique to remove them without destroying them, but 90 of times the wire gets stretch then drill them out. I will ping beefy for a quick reply.

3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    You need to take the calliper , disc and bearing out and you may be lucky enough to tap the sensor out from the inside. They never come out otherwise. It's only 4 14 mm bolts holding the bearing in place and you can then see the bottom of the sensor.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent suggestion beefy, it the long way round but worth saving the expensive sensor.

5. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The weather was good today so i thought i'd give it a go.

I had ordered both rear sensors from the US for the tsx following advice from TA. I got them much cheaper than the dealers price here.

Before setting upon Beefys advice if taking everything off, i decided to just plug them in to see if the light goes off.

To my surprise the lights stayed on.

I guess it could be a number of things. Maybe the replacement sensirs are duff or its another sensor.

Need to get the codes read me thinks. CJ ?

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Are the Honda part no.s the same as the Acura part no.s on the US site?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There lie the dilemma these US parts look identical to the OEM Honda part. On paper they are way cheaper to the Honda part but do they just turnoff the light or do they actually function as a ABS sensor?

That will be only ascertained when you are in a emergency braking scenario.

8. Mr CL7 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Faz Kent
    Same thing happened to me mate. The rear driver sensor is prone to fail. I bought a genuine replacement from Holdcroft and touch wood it's fine. I had to get a friend to drill my old sensor out as it was glued in!

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    You will find that with ABS/ VSA codes they remain stored untill they are erased or the car driven a short distance. You won't gain anything from just plugging the new sensor in. If they are the same length I would go ahead, replace them and give the car a run. You may get away with not having the codes erased to get the light go out. Takes a certain ammount of wheel rotations and the VSA modulator recognises there is no longer a short.

10. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've been to see CJ yesterday and he put the car on HDS and confirmed that both rear sensors were gone.

He advised the same as Beefy to change the sensors and drive around or go back to him to get him to reset it. When I got back from CJ the weather had turned so didn't get chance. I'll attempt it this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks a lot all and especially CJ - top man and a pleasure to meet

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    NP it's all about helping out, ping me when you are ready.

12. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right Chaps,

I replaced both sensors over the weekend. I tried to take them out without breaking the sensors but this wasn't to be. I sprayed penetrating oil onto the sensor and sprayed some more very 10 minutes for an hour before attmpting to take the sensor out.

That didn't work, the sensor still broke when I tried to pry it with a screwdriver and I had to drill the thing out.

My old bosch was too big to get into the tight space. The 10mm bit i had was about 3 inches long and that combined with the length of the drill was too long. Anyway I managed to get the pilot hole done with a smaller drill bit. Then I used my good old dremel with its stone grinding bits to grind away at the remains.

Took me about an hour in total. I had a vaccum cleaner on as well and used it to suck out bits frequently to ensure that any bits don't go into the bearings.

Job done, my ABS lights are still on. I'm going to take the battery terminals off today when I get home from work to see if the ECU will reset itself. Fingers crossed this will work.

Thanks guys for your tips very useful indeed.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fingers crossed it works for you bud.

14. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery - no luck

Lights are still on, CJ could you pm me some times this week that you are free please?

I'm beginning to suspect it could be something else. Time will tell.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi mate , how sure are we these second hand sensors are not duff?

16. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    could possibly be swarf from drilling out the sensors? i would take the bearings out and check before buying anything else, removing a few bolts costs nothing