Suspension, Steering and Brakes ABS/VSA codes

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by SteveL, Sunday 6th Jul, 2014.

1. SteveL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

My first post on the forum since it moved from the accord owners club.. :Smile:

Sadly, I come needing help.

I've a 03 7th Generation Accord Type-S - 2.4 Petrol - which recently developed the dreaded VSA module failure. (VSA and Exclamation lights on only)

I sourced a (reported) working module from a breaker - and fitted yesterday, whilst also replacing rear disks / pads.
    We also had to do some fairly heft work on calipers as the bleed nuts on all 4 wheels were seized.

However all this was done, and the car was running fine, until its first motorway journey this morning.
    Up Pops - ABS light, Parking Light, VSA light, Exclamation light - and 2 mins prior to that, VSA was kicking in for very little reason. (not accelarating hard)

What I'm trying to esablish is whether the fault is the VSA module I have received, or maybe we have disrupted a sensor on one of the wheels.... Id rather not pay for all!

I've shorted the OBD2 connector to read the ABS codes - Im getting:-

Code 61 (6 Long, followed by 1 short)
    Code 68 (6 Long followed by 8 short)
    Code 71 (7 Long followed by 1 Short)
    Code 83 (8 Long follwed by 3 short)

Can anyone offer advise on these, I seem to be finding mixed results from the internet - and I can't rule out that the codes are historic in the system and no longer relevant....

Cheers!

Steve

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Are you doing a SCS short to get these codes. I can tell you you DID not need to replace the VSA modulator there is no dreaded VSA failure on the petrol at all. Have you check the rear ABS sensors? They fail on petrol saloons but never the VSA ...sorry but true .

3. SteveL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, thanks for reply.

I haven't checked the ABS sensors as I'm not sure how you would do this?

I would expect a sensor failure would show the ABS light (not my initial symptom) and throw a ABS return code (perhaps any of the codes I've posted?)

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So how are you reading these codes? Only a snap on or HDS. Will tell you the correct picture bud.

5. SteveL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I shorted pins 4 & 9 on the ODB2 connection to give me the flashing ABS light.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I see just to confirm these codes are valid get it read by the snapon or HDS tool bud.. to get a second opinion.

7. SteveL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

unfortunately I don't know anyone with one - So its off to the stealership tomorrow for them to charge me £84 for the privilege!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    woah , wish you lived a bit closure I could have had a look for Free.

9. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    VSA and ABS light came on briefly yesterday then went away. Same thing today - came on for maybe 15 minutes then off.

I don't have access to a reader for stored error codes unfortunately.

If it was the VSA module needing replaced or refurbished would the warning light not stay on? I'm hoping it's just a wee hiccup.

10. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Sorry to hijack this thread but that's 5 days in a row the VSA and ABS lights have came on then went off again.

When I switch the engine off then back on the lights are still on - but when I start driving again they go off.

Went to my regular mechanic for advice and he said come back when the lights stay on constantly and he'll have a look. Smacked of a Friday afternoon excuse to me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

11. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Bump.

I'm a bit concerned that it might be the VSA module. Looks like I'll need to head to a Honda dealer for diagnostics.

12. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Might be worth getting a scan to put your mind at rest, but in my own VSA thread CJ suggested that the modules only tend to fail on diesels.

13. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Cheers Phil. Reckon I'll need a scan then - I've got a diesel. Hey-ho. :Smile:

14. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    You could go somewhere cheaper, get told its something that it isn't, replace an expensive sensor, have a useless so and so scratch his head again and tell you that actually it is another part that is the problem. then of course if that didn't fix the fault you could always get that stealer to diagnose the problem properly as they know your car inside out and that £80 starts to look a lot more value for money.

Ichiban and Nels like this.
  15. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Fair point beefy. I'll give honda a call on monday. Fingers crossed it doesn't mean my wife and children are feasting on beans on toast for the next month!

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @SteveL did you get the codes read by diagnostic tools in the end? ABS sensor is probably the best place to start looking as CJ mentioned.

@dbrooks65 for yours I'd bet it is the VSA modulator as it's been so well documented on here over time, regardless, at least get the diagnostic work done by Honda to confirm before you go replacing bits :Smile:

17. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I'm being a tight Scotsman here but it turns out my regular mechanic has the Snap On reader and won't charge me for hooking it up.

I notice others on the forum have suggested snap on is good so I think I'll go with that rather than going to the dealer.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Snap-On diagnostic tools are the only other I know that can read most of Honda's electrical system codes.

19. BroadwayBlueshirt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I also had the dreaded three warning lights, it threw up a front near sensor.
    Replaced it with a Honda sensor, cleared the codes then they came back, including the airbag warning occasionally.
    Re-test showed rear near sensor fault and low power (or similar) feed to the airbag this time.

They all come and go, sometimes a couple of days before coming on again. I`m just a little concerned as to why both wheel sensors didn`t show up first time. I don`t want to throw money at it if that`s not the fault and it`s actually the VSA modulator.

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

@BroadwayBlueshirt do you have a diesel or a petrol? With a diesel I'd throw money at the VSA modulator, with a petrol I'd dig deeper.

Thing is with the airbag related warning as well, it makes you have to consider other possibilities - bad earth, poor battery voltage, alternator issues, nipped wire etc.