Introductions ABS, VSA, TSA Lights On?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Leso, Tuesday 23rd Sep, 2014.

1. Leso Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Les Cumbria
    Hi all, just to introduce myself and say hi, on my second CR-V 2.2 diesel, 2007 EX model. Love the car but have now got my ABS, VSA, TSA lights plus warning triangle on the dash! I've read the fault codes with my own scanner (Autel Maxidiag 802) it found a fault on rear left wheel speed sensor which I replaced and cleared the code but upon driving the lights are off until I get to approx 30mph and they come back, until I get to 30 the ABS actually works but I wouldn't have expected it to at such a low speed!
    Thinking I might have a faulty sensor I tested it for resistance against the rear right and it was exactly the same reading, also my scanner shows each wheel speed on a graph and they all read the same which makes me think the sensor is ok.
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions where to look next or would a Honda diagnostic reveal any more, or could I suffering from the well documented Modulator failure!
    Any ideas most welcome
    Thanks. Les

2. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Les. :welcome:

You've come to the right place for help and advice with your problem. Plenty of club members will be able to give you in depth advice and expert guidance to solve this. I'm not sure what this could be but I agree with you it does tend to suggest the particular sensor is ok as your scanner is showing it reads the same as the three healthy ones.

I hope it is not a modulator failure and good luck and hope you can get this resolved soon.

Please upload pictures of your CR-V to the Garage section as soon as you get a chance. We'd all love to see your car.

3. Leso Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Les Cumbria
    Thanks for the welcome,hopefully someone can point me in the right direction I'm really trying to confirm the problem before I go tearing things to bits. As I said in my previous post I'm just wondering if a honda dedicated scanner would show up more than mine but I'm loathe to pay honda prices but I might have to yet :-(

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    After changing a sensor you need to do an ABS calibration which needs HDS to initiate.

Last edited: Wednesday 24th Sep, 2014
    Nighthawk and John Dickson like this.
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club Les, I think the biggest clue is the specific issue whereby everything works fine until 30mph, I'd also conclude it points to calibration.

You can pick-up a third-party (knock off) HIM on eBay for less than £100, most come with the HDS software and a RS-232 (Serial) to USB adapter. If you have any questions about getting started with it, feel free to post away, a few of us here own them.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Will this be more comprehensive than a generic one? Could be a good investment for me also for the Hondas in the family.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yeah it is mate, it runs the same software, reads all the subsystems. You need to be careful with it though.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    100%, generic scanners can't read any of the Honda sub-systems, SRS, ABS, Immobiliser etc. Definitely a good investment.

9. Leso Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Les Cumbria
    image.

Thanks again everybody, just been out with my scanner again and been into ABS system, I have an option that I can get to which I presume is for re calibration I've attached a few photos, the problem is that when I try to do the re calibration it says it's not communicating, would this be the option that would re calibrate the ABS sensor. Also on one of the screens shows "no DTC except 84-1 is stored in the VSA control unit " this won't clear or will it go when all is re calibrated?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm pretty confident that a "calibration" by a true Honda Diagnostic device will fix your issue.
    I had the same symptoms myself a couple years back (ABS light after reaching 25mph or so) . Connecting up HDS and carrying out the calibration cleared the light, I've never seen it again Lol

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK Les. :welcome:

12. Leso Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Les Cumbria
    Hi again, finally got my car into my Honda Dealer and explained the problem, they put it on their HID system and it comes up with the same fault as my own diagnostic, the problem is they say they have never heard of having to calibrate a wheel speed sensor? They are saying that because it's a non genuine Honda sensor that is probably the problem and the only way to eliminate it is to fit a genuine Honda sensor!
    Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and let them go ahead but I've told them I don't want it developing into a money pit where they just keep throwing parts at it.
    If I don't get any further can anyone recommend anywhere in the North West to take it to, I wouldn't mind travelling if it was the right person.
    Thanks again. Les

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hmmmm there's definitely a calibrate option, I've used it myself.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yup the calibration on the HDS does exist. try Chris at phoenix close Honda @hondavtecr he has a genuine HDS in the north west.

15. balllus Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Marcin
    calibration of sensor ? maybe calibration of a neutral position of steering wheel is needed in this case? On polish forum few people had this problem ( not exactly when 30mph but also triangle was showing up when driving, nothing when car was stopped) and actually it is possible to calibrate that without any devices - paperclip trick :Wink:

16. Leso Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Les Cumbria
    Thanks again everybody, as I said in a previous post (see pic) my diagnostic does have a calibration option but when I try to do it it says it can't communicate but the way I read it, it is only if the brake modulator unit has been replaced, does that sound right?

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Non Honda diagnostics (bar SnapOn ones) tend not to be able to communicate properly with the Honda subsystems.

18. Leso Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Les Cumbria
    Hi all,just an update on my problem which is finally fixed, the problem has finally been found to be the rear wheel bearing, the magnetic sensor on the bearing was causing the problem and after changing the bearing all is back to normal.
    Just to say thanks for all your help and suggestions anyway, its a brill forum and hope i can help someone sometime.
    Les

MickyB, DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:welcome: To the club

20. RobDunk76 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm watching this as my Mum's 2008 CR-V has developed this exact fault (lights on the dash). Have not had time to scan it yet but suspect it will say wheel sensor...