Electrical & Lights Ac issues

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by boki_cu2, Wednesday 20th Jan, 2016.

1. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

So my ac started blowing warmish air on drivers side and passanger is ICE cold.
    If i drive a bit and rev out drivers side will start to blow coldish but as soon as i stop its warm.
    I run HVAC diagnostics but not sure of codes for our car?
    Can anyone help?
    Video attaced of error code/s

2. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

New development if my fan speed is on half i get cold air.....so air mixer?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Could well be air mixer. Not sure how the codes work so I can't help you there. Hopefully someone else can.

4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I was initially puzzled by the first two posts until I saw that the OP is in Sydney (with an Aussie flag to confirm).

It probably is the motorised flap on the driver's side that is stuck, or detached, or the motor is not working. The motor moves the flap to a position between the flow of hot and flow of cold air, to get the desired temperature.

I don't know what the ambient temperatures are over there at the moment, but what happens if you turn A/C OFF and put both sides to max heat ?

Alternatively, what happens if you keep A/C ON, set DUAL ON, then put the passenger side to max heat and driver's side to max cold.

I know the heating and aircon system in the 7th Generation very well, and there is a built-in diagnostic on the 7th Generation. On the 7th Generation, with the ignition off, you press and hold both the AUTO and DUAL buttons, turn the ignition on (or start the engine if you wish) and then release both the buttons. The driver's side temperature display then lets you go through a diagnostic for the heater. I know what the diagnostic is for the 7th Generation, but not the 8th Generation, and the display is quite different.

But, did you use a similar technique to get those numbers up on the display in the video ?

5. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes sunny Australia.....Currently 7am 23c and it will be a hot day :Frown:
    Yesterday was 40c.
    I will try dual with switching sides.
    I got to diagnostics by pressing auto and off button and same time...thise 2 lines are an error code and by googling could be outside temp sensor circuit short and sun sensor in cabin but not sure if all HVAC codes on hondas are same. Will try your suggested bit and report back shortly :Wink:

6. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Just to add passanger hot and drivers cold work ok in dual mode. Drivers side only gets warmer once i turn up fan speed to highest. Midway it seems drivers and passengers are equal and car cools down nicely. Its just once full fan speed is where drivers side fails with cold air. Passanger side is not affected by fan speed .

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Maybe some weakness or freeplay has developed in the driver's side flap or motor

8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Probably what speedy says above, but, I'm a bit confused by all that paragraph.
    Was all that with A/C ON, DUAL ON, passenger side to max heat, driver's side to max cold ?
    If not, split the wording up to where the settings are different and what the settings were, and vary the fan speed with the settings as above.
    There is the possibility of sensor issues, or weak A/C (e.g. perished condenser) or even a blocked pollen filter.

9. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry writing from phone and at work lol..Heating works ok on both sides regadles of settings/dual or both on.
    I did vary speeds and best cooling mode is on fan half way which equalizes cold air from both sides. As soon as its over half fan speed cold drops on drivers side and becomes warmish.
    Heating if fine on both sides. It seems to affect cooling only on drivers side. I will play with it today as we expect a 40c day :Frown:

jimjams likes this.
  10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ that is very strange, it could be that the system is low on gas or a perished condenser or a blocked pollen filter.
    As well as trying different fan speeds, try it at different road speeds. If the condenser is perished, then when the car is moving faster, it helps cool the condenser, so you'll get more cold air off the evaporator.

11. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I did replace polen filter was fine. I do service it pretty offen as it gets dirty.

Yes i will try it out more since it will be hot.

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

btw I'm not sure of this, but I think that there is a "bias" towards the passenger side because the blower is on the passenger side and the evaporator is also more to the passenger side. But since I have never had the complete system out of a car, I can't be sure, and I could be talking rubbish. But if I am right, then if the condenser is perished, the passenger side could be "stealing" most of the cold air from the evaporator.

Otherwise, it's a problem with the flap or motor or sensor.

13. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My 7th Generation started blowing warmer on drivers side wasn't really noticeable over here but when we went to France one year and it was around 30degrees it really struggled turned out it was low on gas.

jimjams likes this.
  14. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

So today after work played around a bit more. Airmixers both sides move free and smooth once i chance temp setting so they out of question.

Next thing was my error codes and i found following : 1. Short circuit in ambient sensor outside and 2.short circuit in sunlight sensor.
    Now its either these or it low on gas. Im leaning towards gas as others suggested, im not sure why it threw these codes.

15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm still puzzled how you get the codes, what is the sequence to get them on the 8th Generation, and where did you find out how to do it ?
    But they may be spurious, because if they were faulty, it would more likely cause an issue common to both sides.

If it's not low on gas then it's a perished condenser, the condenser on my 7th Generation started to perish when the car was about 5 years old (and I changed the condenser myself a couple of years later, as it just got worse and worse).

The condenser collects everything from the road, if you look through the gap in the lip with a bright torch, you might be surprised at what's in the fins of the condenser..

16. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Screenshot_2016-01-21-22-39-08. Screenshot_2016-01-21-22-39-02. Screenshot_2016-01-21-22-38-55. Screenshot_2016-01-21-22-38-24.
    Found some manuals with code explanations :Smile: hate this issue. Called few ac places the all quote from $180 to $1100aud so i really want to see if i can fix myself.

17. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In the UK it would be under £20 to get it pressure tested.
    If the pressure is low, it's worth getting it refilled properly. To do refill properly, they fully evacuate the system then refill with a known amount. In the UK that would cost under £50.
    To replace the condenser, you have to get the system evacuated first. Then it's best to remove the bumper. Condenser comes out easily. Don't bother with an OEM condenser. Here in the UK an OEM one is about £300, I got a patterned part for £80. Total cost for me to replace the condenser was £130 (£80 for condenser, £50 for gas refilled).

boki_cu2 likes this.
  18. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I will get that done and see if any leaks are there. Here we start at 90aud to 180 for pressure test and leak check.

19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

don't ask for a leak test, just a pressure test.

To do a leak test, if they're going to do it properly, they should remove what's in there, and refill with a known amount that is mixed with UV dye

boki_cu2 likes this.
  20. boki_cu2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Gas recharged and leak test done. It just needed extra gas :Smile: so i have icyyyy cold ac again.
    So happy that is over.
    Thank you all for assistance

jimjams likes this.