HVAC AC Not Blowing Cold

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Peter_G, Monday 20th May, 2013.

1. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had my year 2000 Accord for six months. I've only just had the opportunity to turn on the AC but it does not blow cold. The LED lights when I push the AC button. I don't hear any clicking from the compressor. The AC pipework in front of the radiator is hot to the touch. Apart from a re-gas what should I look for? Is it a no brainer to let Kwik Fit attempt a re-gas knowing no charge is made if the process is unsuccessful? at least I'd know if the system has a leak.

Just a couple of comments after six months of ownership.

Overall I'm happy with my second car but I have a couple of gripes:

It's the thirstiest medium sized engine car I've ever owned, you can almost see the fuel gauge needle dropping while driving (mind you I don't hang around) :Blushing:
    What metal has been used in the rear disks? they only have to see a passing dark cloud and they rust up like they have been in salt water for ten years. :Aghast:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get it topped up first bud let the system detect the pressure and see if it kicks in. No gas the system goes into protect mode.:Wink:

3. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, the old 6th Generation likes a drink, The total garage near where I live is my 2nd home:Grin:

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Get the gas in it topped up. When they do they should take the gas out and do a vacuum and pressure test. Then if the tests are ok they'll put the gas back in and top it up. If it's holding pressure you have another problem, but it's best to get the simple checks I.e. leaks out the way first.

5. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Been to Kwik Fit today. Temp from vent 20c. They attached the machine ran a vacuum test (no leaks) and filled with refrigerant and lube. Temp from vent now 3c. They supplied the printout from the machine. Friendly guys, work was carried out in 45 minutes. Very happy

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. Phil F New Member Getting Started

How much did that cost you if I may ask? Mine needs doing :Thumbup:

8. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away.

It cost £49

9. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

8 weeks later......an update

Well it's been around eight weeks since I had my re-gas. After a few weeks I started to notice that the air did not seem as cold as is was. This has progressed until the system was blowing air that was the same temperature as the outside air, it seemed that the refrigerant had escaped.

I contacted Kwikfit customer services and was told the one month warranty period had expired. (so tough)

I booked in my car for a diagnosis at a local garage who intended to re-charge the system with refrigerant that had a dye included in the hope of finding the leak. Imagine my surprise when after 30 seconds I was informed that the re-charge was not going to proceed. I was informed that the evaporator was badly damaged (by stones) and this was likely to be the cause of the leak. I was also informed that the damage was not new and he was amazed that this was not spotted when Kwikfit had worked on the car as one of the filling valve is directly above the evaporator and the damage is clearly visible.

So it seems that I have to have to replace the evaporator and re-charge the system. I'm disappointed that a leak which allowed the system to empty in around eight weeks was not detected by the Kwikfit equipment or the damage was not spotted at the time, this would have saved me £49.

Does anyone know of a supplier of evaporators for my year 2000 1800 SE?

Last edited: Friday 2nd Aug, 2013
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    maybe within 8 weeks the air con condenser damage had taken place more than what it was at the time of the recharge?

You cannot apportion blame wear and tear purely down to the last person touching the car. That my opinion not fact.

As for suppliers can't say other than Honda dealers, as best practice you should always use new part on the air con system to avoid other damage by using contaminated used parts.