Engine & Gearbox Acceleration Problems Honda Jazz

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by Ronaldclaw, Wednesday 18th Feb, 2015.

1. Ronaldclaw New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Tommy Bristol
    Hi, sorry I am new to the forum. Sorry for the straight into a technical question but I am not sure where else to look for advice.

I own a 52 plate Honda Jazz. For the last 4 months when in first or second gear an trying to accelerate my car has very little or no power, for example i get a a junction or roundabout, i stop put it into first and try and pull away the car will move forward very slowly and then nothing leaving me in the middle of the roundabout with nowhere to go. Then if i keep my foot on the pedal after a few seconds the car begins to accelerate again. Also if I turn the engine on and off it will drive on ok.

I have done a number of things to try and resolve this issue including:
    1. Taking the EGR valve off and giving it a good clean.
    2. Spraying an EGR cleaner into engine intake
    3. Changing all 8 spark plugs
    4. Putting Clean drive into fuel tank
    5. Putting injector cleaner into fuel tank

I have also taken it to a garage who did a diagnositic check on the vehicle, which pointed to the Lambda sensor. The garage do not believe this needs to be replaced and think there is an issue somewhere else that is triggering the engine management light. The garage checked and cleaned the throttle housing, cleaned the lambda sensor and sprayed a heavy duty cleaner into the air intake, but it still hasnt stopped it happening.

it only does it in 1st and 2nd gear and does it sporadically say 1 in 5 times so the garage cannot replicate it on their test drives. it has been in twice now and they said they can replace the Lambda sensor for about £180 but it is unlikely to resolve it.

i want to sell the car as we are buying a larger family car. It has 96000 miles on the clock and other than this issue it is a pretty good car with 9 out of 12 full service stamps, new exhaust, new cat converter, new bearings in both back wheels and rebuilt gearbox. I think I could get £1400 for it but not with the fault and it could end up costing me that much to try and fix the problem. i don't want to just scrap it and lose the price of the car.

I don't know if anyone knows what it could be or what i could try next. my brother in law who is a mechanic but lives 150 miles away thinks it is a blockage or electrical due to the frequency of the issues.

Hopefully someone can help?!

Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What spray was used on the lambda sensor they ideally should never need cleaning as they can be quite easily damaged with silicone poisoning. Do you have any DTC recoded on the cars ECU as the MIL light lit on the dash it will be the o2 sensor not matter what you been told.

I would say your lambda sensor if had you need to change it first.

3. Ronaldclaw New Member Getting Started

I will ask the garage for the codes from the diagnostic checks. I will hopefully get these later. Im not sure what they cleaned the o2 sensor with, it did improve slightly but then the last couple of days it has happened a lot. Sometimes when idealing you can feel the engine heaving, it has never died but it is dangerous as i can never pull out at a junction or roundabout now unless there are no cars for miles!!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If the engine is hunting then that a tale tale sign it not right , ideally you need a diagnostics system to read the Volts and lambda reading which the car is running to see these values.

I would say it the o2 sensor.

5. Ronaldclaw New Member Getting Started

Hi I just spoke to the garage and they said the code on both diagnostic checks was P0132, sorry I am not very tech savy so I have no idea what that means!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Therw you go it is the 02 sensor
    DTC P0132 Primary HO2S (Sensor 1) Circuit High Voltage

This is the Honda flow chart to diagnose this fault, Just pray your ECU is not fired.

1. Reset the ECM/PCM.
    1. Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3,000 rpm (min −1 ) with no load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.
    1. Check the primary HO2S (Sensor 1) output voltage with the scan tool.
    Does the voltage stay at 0.9 V or more?
    YES -Go to Step 4 .
    NO -Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose wires at the primary HO2S (Sensor 1) and at the ECM / PCM .■
    1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    1. Disconnect the primary HO2S (Sensor 1) 4P connector.
    1. Connect the primary HO2S (Sensor 1) 4P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 2 with a jumper wire.
    1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
    Is there 0.9 V or more?
    YES -Go to Step 9 .
    NO -Replace the primary HO2S (Sensor 1) .■
    1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

1. Connect ECM/PCM connector terminals A6 and A10 with a jumper wire.
    1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
    Is there 0.9 V or more?
    YES -Substitute a known-good ECM/PCM and recheck. If symptom/indication goes away, replace the original ECM / PCM .■
    NO -Repair open in the wire between the ECM/PCM (A6, A10) and the primary HO2S (Sensor 1) .■

7. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    No offence, but you won't get £1400 for a 52 plate 1.2 Jazz with 96k - nearer to the £1k mark.

8. Ronaldclaw New Member Getting Started

No offence taken, I based that on Autotrader prices and a valuation tool. I would take a grand.

moob likes this.
  9. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Cool - reason I hold that valuation is that I've bought two fairly recently and they were far newer with much higher spec and lower mileage - both had FSH too.

The 2002/03 models don't fetch as high a value from buyers in the know as they had more faults and a less refined ride as well.

Ichiban will sort you out with the tech stuff, you've in good hands.

10. Ronaldclaw New Member Getting Started

So is the advice to replace the O2 sensor and fingers crossed its not the Engine Control Unit. What are the cheap sensors like on Ebay?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ebay ones be avoided if you want to keep the car and see the back of this you need a good quality one like denso or Genuine Honda for troublefree life and start to drive the car without fear.

12. Ronaldclaw New Member Getting Started

Thanks Ichiban, I want to sell it or part exchange but it will put me in a better bargaining position to part ex if the problem is solved. If not I will will have to "give" it to we buy any car at a knock down rate. I must admit the 52 plate Jazz has given me nothing but grief since i bought it and I have been a pretty good owner, changing anything and everything advised on MOT and full service ever year. Plus 4 new tyres. don't think i will be buying and old car again.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    But please do tell the new owner of this problem otherwise they will throw the kitchen sink of parts and still be non the wiser.

14. Ronaldclaw New Member Getting Started

I don't think morally i could sell it to someone as is. I might advertise it for sale with a known problem. then negotiate. Someone might want to buy it and knock £200 off the price.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fair enough bud, hope you find another excellent condition Honda soon.

16. Christo55 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Christo Manchester
    I wouldn't give it to those idiots at we buy any car, why not try one of the other similar ones. The car buying service have a better customer satisfaction rating so can't be half bad. They also have make specific pages that might have a bit more information.

http://www.thecarbuyingservice.co.uk/car-makes/sell-my-honda/

Hope this helps and you get an excellent Honda soon.